Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Restriction? in a smooth bore barrel.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coalforge

Coalforge

Male Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2016-07-20

Restriction?  in a smooth bore barrel. Empty
PostSubject: Restriction? in a smooth bore barrel.   Restriction?  in a smooth bore barrel. Empty2019-07-24, 11:23

I am fairly new to shooting a smooth bore.
I have a 16 ga (actually .669) that came from a club member who has passed on. I understand it was a kit that he finished the stock, put it together and used it. The only marking on the barrel is Japan and a serial number.  When I got it, the touch hole was at the extreme bottom of the pan and the load would not ignite reliably. I drilled it and installed a touch hole liner to move the touch hole higher above the floor of the pan and it works much better. I put five .648 balls into a 4 inch circle the first time I took it to the range. I need to get used to the no rear sight.

The barrel is round to hexagon. It feels like an obstruction or a ring about 1 inch toward the breech on the hexagon part of the barrel from where it goes from round. I have looked at the bore with a bore light and can't see anything. I have tried scrubbing it with a wire brush with no effect. This is about 7 inches forward of where the ball would sit with the weapon loaded so "crud ring" doesn't seem to be the problem. Cleaning patches are coming out with nothing on them. Any ideas what this might be?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keystoneironworks.com/
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Restriction?  in a smooth bore barrel. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restriction? in a smooth bore barrel.   Restriction?  in a smooth bore barrel. Empty2019-07-24, 11:28

Most likely a pinch in the barrel where a barrel tenon was installed.
Back to top Go down

Restriction? in a smooth bore barrel.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: