Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Patch /Bullet lube

Go down 
AuthorMessage
R. Boone

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2018-07-19

Patch /Bullet lube Empty
PostSubject: Patch /Bullet lube   Patch /Bullet lube EmptyAugust 8th 2019, 2:16 pm

Has any one used Hog lard as a patch or Bullet lube?
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2018-10-12

Patch /Bullet lube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patch /Bullet lube   Patch /Bullet lube EmptyAugust 8th 2019, 3:59 pm

I haven't, but will say most any lard will work from what I read. 
Unless strictly shooting in cool/cold weather you'll want some bees wax to mix in with it so it isn't a mess in warm weather.  3 parts lard to 1 part wax wouldn't be a bad starting point this time of year.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2015-10-20

Patch /Bullet lube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patch /Bullet lube   Patch /Bullet lube EmptyAugust 9th 2019, 4:10 pm

@R. Boone wrote:
Has any one used Hog lard as a patch or Bullet lube?

If it was a raised hog, becareful not knowing what was in the stockyard feed.

Back to top Go down
R. Boone

Patch /Bullet lube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patch /Bullet lube   Patch /Bullet lube EmptyAugust 10th 2019, 9:09 am

Store bought, label says 0 sodium. Is that what you are referring to Buck? Almost all Animal feed will have a certain amount of salt and other additives.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2015-10-20

Patch /Bullet lube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patch /Bullet lube   Patch /Bullet lube EmptyAugust 10th 2019, 9:58 am

That's why we have always used wild game fat (I like buffalo or elk fat), not anything that a processing plant has had anything to do with. Try going to one of the natural food stores with corn feed meat products, look in your phone book for locations.

Back to top Go down
R. Boone

Patch /Bullet lube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patch /Bullet lube   Patch /Bullet lube EmptyAugust 10th 2019, 12:39 pm

Thanks. What got me to thinking about hog lard was I opened an old box of Thompson Center maxi bullets they said 100% food grade lube . the lube had gotten old an fell out of the groves,  and it smelled just like old rank hog lard, an being from the south I knew that smell because that is what we used to cook with, and there would always be some left in the bottom of the tub that would turn rank.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10394
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Patch /Bullet lube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patch /Bullet lube   Patch /Bullet lube EmptyAugust 10th 2019, 1:49 pm

When it comes to animal fat for patch lube it's hard to beat the Mink Oil sold by TOW.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/132/1/MINK-OIL

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
R. Boone

Patch /Bullet lube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patch /Bullet lube   Patch /Bullet lube EmptyAugust 10th 2019, 6:38 pm

Yes, Pete you are correct. I have some and it works really well and a little goes a long ways.
Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2015-03-04

Patch /Bullet lube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patch /Bullet lube   Patch /Bullet lube EmptyAugust 11th 2019, 8:48 am

I got some mink oil at TSC but I don't remember if I have used it, yet.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2018-10-12

Patch /Bullet lube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patch /Bullet lube   Patch /Bullet lube EmptyAugust 12th 2019, 9:53 am

My rifle doesn't care for the mink oil at all for some reason.  I haven't played around with the amount on the patch too awful much yet, but my groups really open up when I use it.  I've only applied it to patches by rubbing the patch around on it and then rubbing in with my thumbs so far, moderate amount and then a very light amount, but my groups weren't good with it.  Funny how much patch lube can change things.  I was hoping my rifle would like it since it's so easy to get and apply, and loaded nice too.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10394
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Patch /Bullet lube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Patch /Bullet lube   Patch /Bullet lube EmptyAugust 12th 2019, 11:22 am

It's very slippery. You only need lube on the barrel side of the patch. That way the patch will grab the ball better.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down

Patch /Bullet lube
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories-
Jump to: