Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

solution for BADLY rusted barrel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Overdue Bill

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2018-04-08

solution for BADLY rusted barrel Empty
PostSubject: solution for BADLY rusted barrel   solution for BADLY rusted barrel EmptyAugust 11th 2019, 1:30 pm

A year or two ago I found (I think on this site) a solution to use in a severally rusted muzzleloader barrel to get rid of the rust.  My 81 year old mind can not recall what this solution was but I do remember it was made up of a 50/50 solution of the most unlikely liquids imaginable and it absolutely worked.  Can anyone tell me what this might have been please?  No, I didn't let my rifle get in that condition again but someone else asked me about it.  Appreciate any help.  Thanks a bunch,  Overdue Bill Neutral
Back to top Go down
robinsroost

Male Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2016-03-26

PostSubject: Re: solution for BADLY rusted barrel   solution for BADLY rusted barrel EmptyAugust 11th 2019, 3:00 pm

Bill, it is high sulfur molasses and water.  High sulfur molasses is available in feed stores as a supplement to animal feed...……….robin
Back to top Go down
Overdue Bill

PostSubject: Re: solution for BADLY rusted barrel   solution for BADLY rusted barrel EmptyAugust 11th 2019, 3:47 pm

Robinsroost,  Yep, that was it however as far as I know, I didn't use the high sulfur stuff, I just used regular home molasses and it worked.  Matter of fact I got some on the outside of the barrel
 and it ruined the browning there.  Thanks a bunch for jogging this old forgetful mind.
Back to top Go down
N.Y. Yankee

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: solution for BADLY rusted barrel   solution for BADLY rusted barrel EmptyAugust 12th 2019, 10:16 am

Evaporust works great too.
Back to top Go down
Overdue Bill

PostSubject: Re: solution for BADLY rusted barrel   solution for BADLY rusted barrel EmptyAugust 12th 2019, 4:51 pm

Oh yeah, I bet it does.  I've got a bunch of that now.  Didn't have it when I had the rusty barrel problem or I might have thought of trying it.  Thanks  a bunch.
Back to top Go down

solution for BADLY rusted barrel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: