Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Optics on your sidelock

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sgt Recoil

Sgt Recoil

Male Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2015-10-11

Optics on your sidelock Empty
PostSubject: Optics on your sidelock   Optics on your sidelock EmptyAugust 12th 2019, 9:12 pm

Any hunters or traditional percussion (even flinters for that matter) shooters mount any optics on your bp guns?
 I had a TC Gray Hawk a few years back that was scoped. I had younger eyes then and was quazi purest. So didn’t hang on to her long. Well these days I’ve recently put a side mount scope on my ‘94 30-30 so was curious if any hunters out there have scoped their smokepole. 
Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Optics on your sidelock   Optics on your sidelock EmptyAugust 12th 2019, 9:35 pm

I've bought a few that had the quick mount set up where it screwed into the dovetail and tang screw. I hated that set up due to how hard it was to clean.
Back to top Go down
Sgt Recoil

Sgt Recoil

PostSubject: Re: Optics on your sidelock   Optics on your sidelock EmptyAugust 12th 2019, 10:02 pm

Ya I remember all the fouling on the underside of the scope. Was a pita. I have a peep sight on my TC Hawken with .58 GM bbl. I wish TC still made them.
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Optics on your sidelock   Optics on your sidelock EmptyAugust 15th 2019, 7:09 am

I did it not long back on my TC Hawken with Rice 1:20 Twist .45 Cal Bullet Barrel. I was testing a potential Long Range Bullet and was trying to take out as much human error as possible, I do very well with Peep Sights, But Nothing Compares to a Scope. They Sure look Goofy on a Sidelock, But That doesn’t matter!! I enjoy Shooting Sidelock Muzzleloaders more than anything, If i get to where I can’t see through a Peep sight well enough to Shoot, i will Mount a Scope on 1 in a FAST Heartbeat so i can continue to enjoy shooting them!! I would have a Custom Steel Picatinny Rail Made and use Leupold Mark 4 Style Rings in Steel as Well so i could Easily Take the Scope on n Off for Cleaning and Not worry about POI Changing when i put the Scope back on. The key here is STEEL, You want a Steel Base, and Steel Rings. Leupold Mark 4s Come in Both Aluminum, and Steel, DEFINITELY Get Steel! Also use a Torque Wrench Calibrated for inch pounds, This way everything stays IDENTICAL each time you take On/Off

Here is Nightforce torture testing their Setup, Leupold Mark 4 Steel Rings and Steel Bases work the EXACT same way as this, And they Cost less than Nightforce. I have Steel Leupold Mark 4s on my Knight Mountaineer, and Rem 700 .308, I take the Scope on/off all the Time, I shoot out to 800 Yards, POI Has never Shifted on me. Setups like this aren’t Cheap, But they are WELL worth the Cost if you take your Shooting Serious

The problem i had with my Setup was Eye Relief, I Bought this Rice Fast Twist Bullet Barrel from a Guy that had it built, along with a Custom Scope Rail he had made for it. I was able to make it work, But it was Rather uncomfortable with the Leupold Scope i was using due to Eye Relief, I had to struggle to get Far Enough forward to see through it good, obviously the higher the Scope Magnification the Worse it was. On my Particular Setup i would need an Extended Eye Relief Scope.
Back to top Go down
Sgt Recoil

Sgt Recoil

PostSubject: Re: Optics on your sidelock   Optics on your sidelock EmptyAugust 18th 2019, 11:03 pm

Hey thanks for the info. I’ve decided to go with a peep sight first and see how that goes. 
I can always go with my TC in-line if need be.
Back to top Go down

Optics on your sidelock
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: