Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Round ball for 16 ga

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coalforge

Coalforge

Male Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2016-07-20

Round ball for 16 ga Empty
PostSubject: Round ball for 16 ga   Round ball for 16 ga Empty2019-09-01, 21:54

I am looking for a .648 round ball mold for ball to use in my 16 ga (.663 bore) TOW sells the balls but I have not been able to find a mold. I tried Dixie, Brownells, Lee, Lyman, RCBS and a number of other sites. I saw one on eBay but got outbid. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keystoneironworks.com/
Billy-by-gosh

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Round ball for 16 ga   Round ball for 16 ga Empty2019-09-01, 23:49

Billy-by-Gosh here,
It sounds as if you may need a custom mold . You can find a number of makers online.
Although I have not used him, here is is a starting point from a British site, specializing in RB molds of your type for only 30 GB pounds (which should translate into something near 40 dollars in US money and accepts Paypal. I don't know the shipping costs so you will need to ask THAT first)
Website is https://www.ballmoulds.com/product/ball-mould-medium/
Contact info is at https://www.ballmoulds.com/contact/
Best wishes!
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Round ball for 16 ga   Round ball for 16 ga Empty2019-09-02, 09:11

Contact Buffalo Arms they probably can help out and not have the high cost of shipping from over seas.

Back to top Go down
Coalforge

Coalforge

PostSubject: Re: Round ball for 16 ga   Round ball for 16 ga Empty2019-09-02, 11:58

I had tried Buffalo Arms and no luck. They go from .610 and the next size is .662.  I checked the Ballmoulds site and they do have what I am after. Shipping was about $15 so even with that, it is half what Buffalo arms wants for their .610 single ball mold. I will order one.

Thank you both for your help.
Back to top Go down
Billy-by-gosh

PostSubject: Re: Round ball for 16 ga   Round ball for 16 ga Empty2019-09-02, 13:16

Glad to help, at least you have a start on this. Years ago, DGW had in-house people that would cut a simple mold at low cost, but that option seems to have disappeared.
Back to top Go down
Sgt Recoil

Sgt Recoil

Male Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2015-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Round ball for 16 ga   Round ball for 16 ga Empty2019-09-09, 22:24

I You got me thinking Coalforge, I just picked up a 16g Lee conversion kit for Load-All and cast rb for my .58. Hawken. 
I just got a chance last week to shoot my Lee .690 pure lead outta my TC Tree-hawk 12g and although loose fitting in either plastic wad resting on felt wad, they shot point of aim at 25yds and 95grs of Goex 2F. 
Same might work with the 58.  I’d gladly drop a deer with Grandads Win model 37 16g. He used it to drop moose back in the day. Still have a box or two of Imperial slugs and SSG loads that came with. I’ll keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
Billy-by-gosh

PostSubject: Re: Round ball for 16 ga   Round ball for 16 ga Empty2019-09-10, 09:05

That’s an interesting thought Sarge. Years ago, I had a 20 ga. cartridge double with its right barrel choked to .604. I could load a .575 ball in a plastic wad and that would shoot an average group just under 6 inches at 50 yards; think my best 3 shot group was 3 inches.

However, a .663 bore is going to have almost a full sixteenth of an inch more internal windage, compared to a 20 ga bore, so the rattle factor for 570 to 610 balls becomes huge inside there.

Using your scenario, it *might* be possible to pad the smaller ball up with cornflour in a 16 ga paper or plastic wad; or possibly try to nest a 575 ball in a 20 ga. plastic wad within a 16 ga. wad, but not sure I’d wanna pull the trigger on either of those combos.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Coalforge

Coalforge

PostSubject: Re: Round ball for 16 ga   Round ball for 16 ga Empty2019-09-12, 15:36

I ordered what I was after from the Ballmoulds site. It has not arrived yet but I will update this when it comes.
Back to top Go down

Round ball for 16 ga
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: