Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16319
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Lyman Great Plains Rifle Empty
PostSubject: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 3rd 2011, 9:01 pm

Well after scrubbing the bore clean and then JB pasting it, i took it out to 50 yards with 100gr JSG 3f, .015 patch and .530 round ball. Didn't group well at all.

Was going to call it quits but then remembered i had some thicker .018" pillow tick patches in a little tin than were unlubed. Poured down 110gr JSG 3F, stuck the patch in my mouth and sucked on it, grabbed a ball, laid the patch across the bore and rammed the ball home.

Took 2 shots and they were touching! I didnt even use my lead sled today and i pulled it off LOL.

Took 2 more shots with 100gr JSG 3F and the same tight patch combo and ended up with 1 1/4" group.

Not bad, but just like the last GPR i had, a powder pig!

Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1384
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1382

Even got a mold too which looks to be a heck of a lot better quality than my Lee mold.
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1385
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1386
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 4th 2011, 12:22 am

Just some more pics. Pretty wood, have to figure out what stain to use though.
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1398
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1388
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1411
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1401
Back to top Go down
crabyx78

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 4th 2011, 4:18 am

Nice looking rifle FG.Don't you just love playing with 'em
and bringing everything together.
You planing to refinish the stock?
Who made the mold?
Back to top Go down
del

del

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 4th 2011, 5:35 am

Glad you got it. Pillow tickin from Walmart cut at the barrel with olive oil for lube and 90 grains Goex fffg did the trick for me. Hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by del on January 5th 2011, 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3776
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 4th 2011, 5:37 am

Amazing how a different size patch makes a difference.

Nice wood grain. Sounds like it headed to " FG's Custom Shop" Smile
Back to top Go down
sqezer

Male Number of posts : 1735
Registration date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 4th 2011, 8:36 am

FG, very nice looking rifle, I've never had a side lock but am interested in getting one. What direction would you go.
Back to top Go down
http://sqezer@yahoo.com
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10400
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 4th 2011, 8:55 am

@sqezer wrote:
FG, very nice looking rifle, I've never had a side lock but am interested in getting one. What direction would you go.

The Lyman GPR is not a bad way to go. It's about as close to an original Hawken as you'll get in a production ML. They're good shooters with the right load too.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Rick

Rick

Male Number of posts : 920
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 4th 2011, 10:39 am

I like how you take pictures FG, they always seem to show exactly what you intending it to show. That is a sweet gun too.

Lyman Great Plains Rifle Apex-s10
Back to top Go down
http://whitetailwoods.blogspot.com
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 4th 2011, 1:19 pm

FG..........Maybe you could have a traditional sub forum for those of us that like the old stuff?

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 4th 2011, 2:50 pm

I had one earlier this year but found that it was better just to combine them. It cleaned up the face of the forum a bit.
Back to top Go down
Rick

Rick

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 5th 2011, 6:31 am

Nice idea though Colorado!

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 7th 2011, 12:00 am

Well its an update on both the Accuracy and stock redo.

First off, after adding the washer under the tang and now being able to tighten down the screws all the way, i got rid of the springiness and accuracy seems to be excellent so far.

Before the washer was installed. Tang screws tightened down all the way. Major issue with that! I dont mind a wee springiness but that wasnt acceptable!
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1424

50yards,
I started off with 90gr American pioneer 3f and swabbed the oil out of the bore with a dry patch prior to loading. Common result was my first shot hitting low. Second shot in the black next to the bulls eye and as hard as it is to see, the hole in the center of the bulls eye is actually shots 3 and 4. I am happy as heck with that load. I also used .018 lube pillow ticking with that and the .530 round balls.
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1433

Next i downed my charge to 70gr American Pioneer 3f and the same patch/ ball combo.

First 2 shots at the bottom, the next 2 shots started to go up a good deal and i think the bore was getting fouled up a bit to much.
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1435

Now for the stock ive been working slowly. I first cut that Hawken groove right into the thumb area of the stock. I took it a back more than normal as i wanted my thumb to fit perfectly into that area when i bring it to my shoulder. A good anchor to hold it steady.
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1440

A closer view of the lock, wrist, thumb lock and the rounded bottom of the stock. Its hard to see due to the shadow but i was able to get out a LOT of the GPR's belly look just by sanding and rounding squared off parts of the stock.
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1442

I thinned the wrist area a great deal due to having plenty of room to remove on the trigger side of the stock. A nice oval shape to the stock. I could go more but i'd have to do some inletting of the rear trigger guard so thats not gonna happen.
Close up.
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1443

Working on the cheek piece tomorrow, going to thin that out and reshape it so that will be a nice painful, time consuming project alone. After that, move on to the other side of the lock panel and reshape it.

I think i am really going to enjoy this plains rifle after i finish. In the meantime i will continue to swear at it and pop blisters on my fingers from working on it LOL.
Back to top Go down
Rick

Rick

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 7th 2011, 11:39 am

FG, you should go into business. That is looking great.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 15th 2011, 9:20 pm

2 coats hand rubbed oil finish, followed up by one coat hand rubbed truoil and then 2 coats truoil spray on finish. Gave it a day to cure up and then used 0000 steel wool soaked in the oil finish and went and buffed the gloss down to a satin finish. Still have at least 3 or 4 coats of spray on truoil before i call it good and start working on the metal.

It has 5 coats of honey maple stain on the wood. Crappy pics so i will get some outside with it tomorrow.
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1501
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1507
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1513
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1503
Back to top Go down
sitsintrees

Male Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 15th 2011, 9:27 pm

That is nice lookin, you must have a ton of time into it.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 15th 2011, 9:44 pm

Stock looks nice FG. I have to mess with mine too.

Do you find the curved butt plate comfortable?

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 15th 2011, 9:49 pm

FG,

Are you going to keep the barrel browned Question
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 16th 2011, 12:43 am

I havent decided what i will do with the barrel just yet. Or the rest of the trim. I figure to get some bluing and browning supplies and test things.

I actually do enjoy the curves buttplate on this rifle. It fits my shoulder really well and holds in place solid. A very comfortable rifle to hold IMO.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 16th 2011, 5:11 pm

Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1532
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1528
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1525
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1520
Lyman Great Plains Rifle DSCN1534
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 16th 2011, 5:36 pm

Nice color! I'll bet it's hard to put the thing down now that you've dug into the project.
Back to top Go down
corey012778

corey012778

Male Number of posts : 2312

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 16th 2011, 6:51 pm

nice fg,

god I need to get started on my apex stock lol

did you every find out who makes that mold.

bad monkey  :wow
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 16th 2011, 6:53 pm

Yeah its a TC Mold.
Back to top Go down
wallygater

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 17th 2011, 4:48 am

Wake that dog up this is exciting stuff Smile Nice job FG I can never leave anything alone either.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 17th 2011, 7:06 pm

Replace the black with brown, and it looks like my Pit.

Back to top Go down
cayugad

cayugad

Male Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle EmptyJanuary 20th 2011, 3:56 pm

That is a nice looking rifle for sure. You did a nice job. It always makes you feel good when you can have a finished stock like that. What did you use to strip off the old finish?

George Carlin
Back to top Go down

Lyman Great Plains Rifle
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: