Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 20th 2011, 6:47 pm

60 and 80 grit sand paper. There wasnt a whole lot of finish on it to begin with.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 24th 2011, 4:17 pm

Most of the steel is ready for browning. Just need to work on the barrel and snail area a bit more and then heat everything up and brown.
Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 1
Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 2
Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 3
Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 5
Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 4
Back to top Go down
sitsintrees

Male Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 24th 2011, 4:29 pm

That is going to look sweet browned, whats the process to do that?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 24th 2011, 4:37 pm

just heat it up with a clean burning propane torch and get it hot enough to sizzle water, then dip a swap into the solution and rub it onto the hot steel. Making instant rust.

I like to do 2 coats and then rub back with steel wool and do it a couple more times until i get the color i want.
Back to top Go down
sitsintrees

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 24th 2011, 5:18 pm

Gotcha ya, do you use the birchwood casey stuff?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 24th 2011, 5:42 pm

yeah this time i will. I normally use the LMF brand but i dont feel like using a week of my time letting it slow rust. I want a darker rust color on the barrel as well and i get that with the BC Plum brown solution.
Back to top Go down
sitsintrees

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 24th 2011, 6:14 pm

I was looking at the dixie site for bluing touch up and saw the bc stuff, wonder how a short barreled gun would look like browned?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 2nd 2011, 12:23 pm

Mainly showing the stock redo in this picture. 5 coats LMF Honey Maple, an assortment of hand rubbed and sprayed on truoil finish that was then buffed to a antique shine using 0000 steel wool soaked in linseed oil so i wouldnt cut through the truoil.
Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 4

The barrel i did last night and invested almost 4 hours of time into it. My fingers are split open and hurting, burned my finger after heating the barrel up afterward prior to oiling. But it was all done with love so i dont mind.

Spent 45 minutes wrapping the barrel up with thin cotton string, filled a spray bottle with bleach and gave the string a good soaking. A total of 1 hour 20 minutes for the final look. Its really hard to tell due to the camera flash but the barrel is actually a gray-blue. I like the tiger finish on the barrel.
Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 DSCN1398-1
Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 DSCN1407

The lock i used 220 grit sand paper to rough up the surface and also left some of the color case on the hammer here and there to give it a worn - well used look. The lock took about 40 minutes with a heavy coat of bleach.
Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 DSCN1403-1

Going to finish up the rest of the metal trim later tonight and then take a look at the under rib to see what material i can remove to lighten up the front end on this rifle.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3767
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 2nd 2011, 3:00 pm

Love that first pic you used for the forum banner.

Is the tiger finish something they did when the barrel was manufactured, and will that tiger finish remain after you are done finishing the barrel Question

Aalso, what does the bleach do Question
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10394
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2011, 7:58 pm

@sitsintrees wrote:
I was looking at the dixie site for bluing touch up and saw the bc stuff, wonder how a short barreled gun would look like browned?

Not right.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
sitsintrees

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2011, 8:15 pm

Very sharp looking that way, nicely done.

Colorado wrote:
Not right.
Yea your probably right.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle   Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2011, 11:34 pm

@Marty wrote:
Love that first pic you used for the forum banner.

Is the tiger finish something they did when the barrel was manufactured, and will that tiger finish remain after you are done finishing the barrel Question

Aalso, what does the bleach do Question

I do the tiger finish my self. Using thin cotton string i wrap the entire barrel up and then use a spray bottle full of bleach and soak the string. Where the string touches the barrel the tightest, it builds up more rust in that area and stained the steel a darker color, leaving a stripe look after the string is removed and the barrel wiped down. After i wash it down with a water - baking soda mixture to stop the rusting, i put the barrel onto the wood stove and warm it up until its a bit to hot to touch and spray it down with Barricade so it really soaks into the pours. Give it an hour to soak up and then just wipe down the excess oil. Its good to go after that.

The bleach mainly causes rust and light pitting.
Back to top Go down

Lyman Great Plains Rifle
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: