Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3767
Registration date : 2009-02-03

harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? Empty
PostSubject: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyFebruary 19th 2011, 9:20 am

Snowsolo recently used these yellow sabots with the Barnes TMZ Boattail 250 grain bullet with good results.

http://frontiermuzzleloadin.forumotion.com/t1849-5hrs-at-the-range-with-barnes-tmz-t-ez-hornady-sst-pb-at

Q: Because Harvester doesn't offer these boat-tail sabots for a .45 sabot I haven't examined or used them. I was curious though if these sabots are versatile enough to seat and shoot a flat base bullet, or is it clear they are so specialized in design that they should only house boat tails Question

Q: For those .50 shooters that have used these boat tail sabots, has anyone noticed a significant improvement in range groupings with boat tail bullets using these boat tail sabots vs. conventional flat-bottomed sabots Question

Back to top Go down
Omega45

Omega45

Male Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2010-04-15

harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyFebruary 19th 2011, 10:51 am

Yellow Crushed Rib sabots were designed for boat tail bullets. They have black Crushed Rib sabots and smooths for flat based bullets.

The yellow CR for BT bullets in my testing tightened my 100yd group up by an inch or more by switching the supplied MMP yellow sabot that comes with the Barnes 250 T-MZ out. Loading pressure is reduced also as the supplied MMP yellow sabots are very hard to load. i did try shooting the Barnes BT bullets with Harvester black CR sabots and my group was not noteworthy.

2 three shot 100yd groups but with different primers using the yellow CR with Barnes 250 BT bullet.. I want to say it was 105gr BH209, left group was with Rem STS primers and group in middle was with CCI209M primers. My Pro Hunter with Bergara .50 barrel spits them down range pretty good.

harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? IMG00111-20100923-0929

3 shot 100yd group with Barnes .458 Socoms using yellow CR sabots. Little holes are from a .22.
harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? 458socombmp
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyFebruary 19th 2011, 3:15 pm

symers717,

One inch difference...that's worth switching out. Those were GREAT groups. Interesting how the REM STS's shifted the group to the left.Surprised

I noticed you didn't mention the Harvester smooths with boat-tails. Did you try them, or was there simply loading problems from the start Question
Back to top Go down
Omega45

Omega45

Male Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2010-04-15

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyFebruary 19th 2011, 3:26 pm

Marty,
You got me thinking. With the Barnes 250 BT bullet I only shot them with the supplied sabot and the yellow CR sabot.

It was the Barnes .458 Socom bullet that is BT I tried with the black Harvester CR and the group was bad. Its really weird though because I use 54x45 Harvester sabots with the Socom bullet in my Green Mountain .54-120 Brush Gun and it shoots them great. The sabot is for FB bullets but works with BT bullets in that gun. All guns like slightly different recipes.
Back to top Go down
sjadventures

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyFebruary 22nd 2011, 3:55 pm

My Pro Hunter shot this .75 moa @ 100 yds with the 250gr Barnes TMZ, yellow crushed rib sabot, 110gr of BH 209 and Win 209 primer.

harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? 2-15-11targetholes
Back to top Go down
The Butcher

The Butcher

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2011-01-23

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyFebruary 22nd 2011, 5:45 pm

Good shooting from you guys. I know this is a little off the wall, but just my experience. I've been messing with the inlines since my first MK-85 , and bought it when they first came out. My best accuracy was from a Sierra JSP .4515 300 grain, in a Knight sabot.
I could post pics of groups, but would have to dig them out. My other inlines shot this bullet well also. Sorry, got sidetracked. I have done a lot of centerfire shooting. Most benchrest shooters shoot flat based bullets. I have loaded Sierra .257 flat based pro hunters in my 25-06 for many years. I have shot antelope with that bullet out to 550 yds. Most shooting on antelope has been in the 250-300 yd range. Sorry, off track again. At the ranges we're talking about (200-250yds) I doubt you will notice much of a gain in a boat tail bullet. As ranges increase, the boat tail bullet retains more energy do to less drag. 250 yds in my opinon, is not long range. For muzzleloaders, it is pushing it, do to bullet weight and the low velocity of these weapons. The plain old 30-30 is a great deer rifle, but not a long range deer rifle. This is where I put muzzleloaders. Great guns, great fun to shoot. but effective range, is at its end, at 225 yds or so. Will it kill farther? Sure it will. Sorry side tracked again. Anyway, in my opinion, these ranges boat tail bullets would change things very little. Benchrest shooters shoot flat base bullets for a reason. They are more accurate at lesser range. Crown of the barrel, be it a slug gun, high power, or muzzleloader is far more important, than the rear end of the projectile. My final answer, sticking to it. Again, just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyFebruary 22nd 2011, 9:43 pm

The Butcher,

When I reloaded centerfires for long range varmint shooting (200 yards +) in PA I always used boat tail bullets. The experience I am looking for with this Post relates more to the sabot design (i.e., Harvester "boat tail "sabots) itself... rather than the boat tail bullets. But while you are on the subject of boat tail bullets, I might be inclined to first try sighting-in a boat tail muzzleloader bullet if I plan to reach out to 200 yards. Something like a saboted 180 grain ( or 250 grain ) PR Bullet in .400" through my .45's might be a good one to experiment with.

.25-06... I've seen how that caliber performs Twisted Evil . Simply an awesome caliber for deer with the right bullet.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyFebruary 22nd 2011, 10:38 pm

@sjadventures wrote:
My Pro Hunter shot this .75 moa @ 100 yds with the 250gr Barnes TMZ, yellow crushed rib sabot, 110gr of BH 209 and Win 209 primer.

GREAT shooting sjadventures Exclamation Looks like you found a keeper combo for your smoker.

I noticed you used the Win 209 primer with BH 209. Was this primer preferred through trail and error using other primers, or was it just because you happen to have only Win 209's available Question

Back to top Go down
Snowsolo

Snowsolo

Male Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2011-01-14

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyFebruary 23rd 2011, 12:37 am

GREAT POST MARTY! Its funny you put this out there because I've been searching on the internet for sabots and bought a few different packs of them. When I get the Black Harvester Crush rib sabots in along with the smooth ones I will put up some pics. I have alot more I wanted to post but didnt have the time to shoot everything and the weather down right sucks lately and my hands get frost bit way to quick touching the gun so often. I will be shooting the flat based Barnes T-EZ with the black sabots and some more of the Barnes TMZ boattails with the yellow crush rib sabots. Im going to see how the Hornady's do too with diff sabots. I was lookin at the HPH12 black sabots on the MMPSabots.com website and deciding if I wanted some of those too to try. Since I shoot 110gr of BH209, the HPH sabots are supposed to be for powder charges of 100+ with a firmer cup on the bottom for higher velocity. I also ordered some Harvester black smooth short sabots for use of 300 gr or less bullets to see how those work compared to the long sabots.

I have a modifyed breech plug coming with the flashhole opened up to .035 for my V2 and some Fiocchi 616 primers and I will shoot all the above mentioned with my stock QRBP and my modifyed one to see if I have any difference in accuracy between the CCI209M's with stock plug vs. modifyed plug and Fiocchi's

What is the bore diameter of the Accura V2?
What performance difference will a boattail bullet do compared to a flat based?
Why do my flat base bullets not seat themselves all the way down in the provided sabot but the boattails do? I always thought it was best to seat the bullet firmly into the sabot when loading, the flat base Barnes T-EZ's dont.

Marty.... I think they do offer .45 cal sabots. Take a look.

http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3

You're right Marty they dont. I looked everywhere and cant find the boattail Harvester sabots for you .45 cal shooters

Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyFebruary 23rd 2011, 2:16 pm

Snowsolo,

As far as I know the bore diameter for your V2 should be 0.500".

Boat tails have been around for a very long time...and for good reason. Every major bullet manufacturer continues to make them for centerfires. Their design is more aerodynamic and can provide better trajectory when shooting at long distances (100's of yards.). At closer ranges however there probably isn't much advantage to using boat tails vs. flat base bullets. If in-line muzzleloading continues to advance in popularity and technology, I would anticipate more bullet makers to design boat tails for muzzleloaders based on demand.

To me it only makes sense from an accuracy and loading standpoint to have your bullet seat comfortably in the bottom of your sabot without resistance before you send it down the barrel. You should try to match-up your bullet and sabot to where the bullet seats without resistance. Plenty of combo possibilites out there... you just need to find a combo that your particular barrel likes. I recently did a Post on how to make certain sabots seat the bullet better. http://frontiermuzzleloadin.forumotion.com/t1799-prepping-a-sabot-for-flat-base-bullets

Looks like you have a lot on your testing plate Exclamation Im looking forward to seeing your range Reports on what worked...as well as hearing what didn't. Smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. http://frontiermuzzleloadin.forumotion.com/t511-accuracyis-your-bullet-too-slow

Last edited by Marty on February 26th 2011, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added p.s.- x-ref. Projectile velocitiy)
Back to top Go down
sjadventures

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyFebruary 24th 2011, 8:54 pm

@Marty wrote:
@sjadventures wrote:

GREAT shooting sjadventures Exclamation Looks like you found a keeper combo for your smoker.

I noticed you used the Win 209 primer with BH 209. Was this primer preferred through trail and error using other primers, or was it just because you happen to have only Win 209's available Question

It is just what I had on hand when I started load testing and they shoot pretty good so I didn't figure I would change. They also are the longest of the primers and fit extremely well in my BP so that I am not getting any blow back at all. My buddy's Endeavor will not close with the Win 209 so he uses CCI's
Back to top Go down
jeepman

jeepman

Male Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyMarch 6th 2011, 10:34 pm

I just shoot the TEZ flat based bullet in my T/C. very accurate bullet.

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyMarch 3rd 2012, 6:00 pm

I had problems with the black crushed rib sabots, and the 285gr barnes mz. I was shooting tc omega, and they all keyholed on me shooting 110 grains of bh 209 and cci 209m primers. I used the yellow sabots that came with the barnes bullets but where hard to load, thinking the black crushed rib sabots would load a lot easier. they did load a lot easier but all keyholed. I'm getting good 1 1/2 in groups with the yellow sabots that come with the barnes, but are a bugger to get down the bore. Any one else have this problem.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyMarch 3rd 2012, 6:03 pm

I'd call TC with that problem! Sounds like a QLA/ Crown issue. TC's are made for the black crush rib sabots, they should not act like that at all.
Back to top Go down
GregK

GregK

Male Number of posts : 3049
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyMarch 3rd 2012, 6:06 pm

In my CVA Apex with the yellow CR's & Barnes 290 grain boat tail bullets, I could barely get a bullet down the barrel. Try going to the MMP HPH24 sabots. You can also try the red CR's made for smokeless.

harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? Apex-s10McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyMarch 3rd 2012, 6:08 pm

Don't try the red ones! They are horrible to load in my CVA's and they don't shoot that good. They'll be much worse in the TC bores.
Back to top Go down
GregK

GregK

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyMarch 3rd 2012, 6:14 pm

Listen to FG on the red ones. I hadn't tried them in my TC's but they are thicker than the black CR's.

By chance are you shooting a TC with the weathershield coating? I have one of those & have talked with several others that all claim they are extremely tight bored & your sabot choices become much more limited. Also, what bullet are you shooting? If it's a .452 diameter, you may want to find a .451 to try. I know it's not much, but sometimes it's all that's needed.

harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? Apex-s10McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyMarch 3rd 2012, 6:18 pm

JB Bore paste is another thing TC users do to help ease up the barrel tightness. It just polishes any burrs and slicks up the surface real good. Maybe 150 passes with a tight fitting patch will do the job and help out.
Back to top Go down
potterco

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyMarch 3rd 2012, 6:30 pm

The barnes 285gr all measure 450.5. I already did the JB bore paste.
Back to top Go down
GregK

GregK

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyMarch 3rd 2012, 7:07 pm

@potterco wrote:

The barnes 285gr all measure 450.5. I already did the JB bore paste.

FG may be right about the QLA bore. There have been many that were off center & caused a world of grief.

Have you considered trying a Thor full bore sizing kit?
Back to top Go down
Thunder53

Thunder53

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyMarch 3rd 2012, 7:22 pm

potterco,

If I read it right, it looks like you were shooting Barnes Boattail MZ.s in the black Harvester Crush Rib sabots.

Those sabots are for flat base bullets, you need to either use the Barnes supplied yellow smooth boattail sabots or the Harvester yellow Crush rib boattail sabots.

Barnes told me the MZ boattails wouldn't shoot well in "non-boattail" sabots.

I have shot my best group, 1/2" at 100 yds, with the Barnes Spitfire MZ, 245 gr using the Harvester yellow crush rib sabot out of my new model Optima (used 100 gr BH209 & Fiocchi primer). My Optima seems to have a slightly larger bore, somewhere between .501 and .502. and it shoots the best groups using either the yellow crush ribs or the black crush ribs, with the proper bullets.

The yellow Harvester crush ribs did load easier the the supplied Barnes smooth yellow sabots.

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyMarch 3rd 2012, 7:26 pm

Thanks thunder53, I'll have to try them.
Back to top Go down
Thunder53

Thunder53

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??   harvester crush rib yellow - HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience?? EmptyMarch 3rd 2012, 7:57 pm

To tell you the truth, I thought the crush ribs, both yellow and/or black loaded kind of easy and was worried it was too easy and they weren't seated firm enough, but they have shot the best anyway.

HARVESTER Crush Rib .50 Boat-tail Sabots...your experience??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Projectiles-
Jump to: