HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Snowsolo

Male Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2011-01-14

PostSubject: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   March 5th 2011, 5:04 pm

Some of you might have read that you can push your bullets off the powder with a aggressive primer, which in return can cause accuracy problems. I watched a Max Muzzleloader video where Russel did this test to prove deflection that primers create by loading a damp patch on the end of his ramrod and shoving it down the barrel and firing off different primers to see which ones pushed the ramrod out the least. His recommended primer was the Fiocchi 616 and the 777 primers "WHEN NOT USING BLACKHORN 209." The Fiocchi and 777 created the least deflection on the ramrod only moving it like 2 inches or less.

Now the recommended primers for blackhorn 209 is a HOT primer and even they suggest using CCI 209M. Some guys post where they have complaints of Blackhorn having hang fires or misfires when using the CCI's and Blackhorn in their CVA's. Thats where FG made a post on how to adjust your firing pin bushing for zero blowback and consistant pressures through your flash channel to help ignite Blackhorn since the stock QRBP flash hole is only .027. Blackhorn 209 recommends having a flash hole of like .032-.035 for complete ignition of thier powder. After adjusting my firing pin for zero blowback and a good tight seal, I've had zero hangfires.

Now I have also read where some guys like using a modified plug with the flash hole drilled out to .035 or bigger so they can use a less HOT or agressive primer like the Fiocchi's. I have both Fiocchi's and CCI 209M's and now also have a modified QRBP (.035) to go along with the stock QRBP (.027). I recently adjusted my firing pin on my V2 with a thicker rubber O-ring I picked up at the hardware for .29 cents instead of the teflon tape way thanks to a new post by FG in the "Tune-up" section. This rubber O-ring works great! If your having filthy primers and a filthy break action area on your CVA, this thicker rubber O-ring is the way to go. The pics below definately show how the bigger flash hole allows more fire to go through the flash channel.

You can also see how the stock QRBP causes less burn when firing both CCI 209M's and the Fiocchi 616's. So if using a stock QRBP, the CCI209M's are the way to go after adjusting the firing pin for good ignition of Blackhorn 209. Notice how both primers are spotless after fring them thanks to the thicker rubber o-ring. Im getting complete ignition through the flashholes of both plugs with zero blowback thanks to the new o-ring

Stock QRBP with both primers
[img][/img]
Modified QRBP with both primers
[img][/img]
New rubber O-ring on left......Stock o-ring on right
[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sitsintrees

Male Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   March 5th 2011, 6:46 pm

That is some great information, Sound like o-ring sales will be going up at the hardware stores.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   March 5th 2011, 7:04 pm

Great post, i am happy that thicker o ring worked out for you, sure beats the hell out of burning off the nickel finish on the Accura's frame!

By the way, hope you dont mind but i did a bit of editing and spaced things out so it all wouldnt run together, makes for easier reading!

Thats a hell of a price on those fiocchi primers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
rogo

Male Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2009-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   March 6th 2011, 5:39 am

I use Fiocchi primers in my Accura V1 with the original BP and have no problems with BH209 and no filthy blowback either. With CCI 209M primers I did have hangfires and no fires at times. Fiocchi is the best in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snowsolo

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   March 6th 2011, 12:17 pm

rogo wrote:
I use Fiocchi primers in my Accura V1 with the original BP and have no problems with BH209 and no filthy blowback either. With CCI 209M primers I did have hangfires and no fires at times. Fiocchi is the best in my opinion.

I dont think your Accura V1 has the QRBP? This was more directed towards guys with CVA's (2010 and newer) that have the new Quick release breech plug. Most of the compliants I read were from guys not being able to ingnite the BH209 every time in the new QRBP without hangfires because the flash hole was only .027 and they were getting tons of blowback making the rifle's breech area down right filthy. I dont know what the size of the flash hole is on the 2009 Accura's breech plugs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   March 6th 2011, 12:37 pm

It must be more than just the size of the flash hole.

One of the most reliable BP's for BH 209 is the Omega, and it's flash hole is only .028

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   March 6th 2011, 12:49 pm

flash channel as well, installing "drilling" a 5/32" in a CVA breech plug or any inline in general helps greatly with reducing flash channel carbon build up. I personally feel that once you seal up primer blow by, you'll get 99% of the primers heat - gasses into the powder where it needs it.
Back to top Go down
rogo

Male Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2009-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   March 6th 2011, 1:09 pm

Sorry Snowsolo. As usual I misread your post concerning the BP and thought you were speaking about Accuras in general. Happens a lot when you get my age, LOL.
But anyway, Fiocchi primers work for me. By the way, drilling out the BP to .035 does not always work well. I drilled my original BP out to .035 and had nothing but problems trying to fire BH209. No matter what primer I used. Nothing but hangfires and no fires. Had to order a new BP from CVA. I now have one of Ron's modified plugs and have no more problems at all!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snowsolo

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   March 6th 2011, 9:00 pm

rogo wrote:
Sorry Snowsolo. As usual I misread your post concerning the BP and thought you were speaking about Accuras in general. Happens a lot when you get my age, LOL.
But anyway, Fiocchi primers work for me. By the way, drilling out the BP to .035 does not always work well. I drilled my original BP out to .035 and had nothing but problems trying to fire BH209. No matter what primer I used. Nothing but hangfires and no fires. Had to order a new BP from CVA. I now have one of Ron's modified plugs and have no more problems at all!!

Your fine Rogo, not a problem. Im just obsessed with my V2 and with trying different things for it and cant shoot it enough. Seems like all I do is buy bullets and sabots and different breech plugs and spend so much time reading what other guys are doing and then go out and try it myself to see how it works for me. So whats that plug like that Ron modified for you? Is it for the V1?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phenix78_99

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   January 23rd 2016, 4:00 pm

What are the dimensions of the oversized o-ring you used?  Great info!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   January 23rd 2016, 4:01 pm

Use one of these instead in the plugs primer pocket.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k611/=10t8qbp

It drops right in and you're ready to shoot blow by free.
Back to top Go down
phenix78_99

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   January 23rd 2016, 4:03 pm

Thank you sir!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SKami

Male Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2016-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   January 23rd 2016, 4:56 pm

Nice job-great pics as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dr1445

Male Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   January 24th 2016, 12:42 pm

what size or # is the new oring?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M   

Back to top Go down

Pics of my primers test...Fiocchi and CCI 209M
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: