Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

looking for a scope for my new accura v2`

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mikieday

Male Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2011-03-08

looking for a scope for my new accura v2` Empty
PostSubject: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 8th 2011, 7:03 pm

Hi , new to the forum here and I have a question..looking at a scope for my accura from cabelas or bass pro (because I have gift cards for those places) i have been looking at the DOA by bushnel but not sure I like all the lines and stuff i like to keep it simple...i noticed they have the trophy xlt in a 3 x 9 x 40m MX what is the MX ???

thanks for the help...any recommendation would be helpful..I am mostly a bow hunter and my other ml had a lepould on it and it went with it so I have a new gun that im dieing to shoot with no scope

Mike
Back to top Go down
Snowsolo

Snowsolo

Male Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2011-01-14

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 8th 2011, 10:00 pm

MX means Multi X reticle
[img]looking for a scope for my new accura v2` Opplanet-bushnell-trophy-xlt-3x9-40-multi-x-reticle[/img]

There is a handfull of us that use the Bushnell DOA 250 and im one of them and I love it. Its all in your opinion and choice of what you like and what you want.

There is a ton of info on here for scopes and good reviews on them too, just use the search option to locate all the post.

CCI 209M Primers
Bushnell 3x9x40 DOA 250[/b]
Back to top Go down
aviomech

aviomech

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-02-20

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 8th 2011, 11:11 pm

I like a 2-7x scope, good FOV and still decent magnification. Bushnell are good scopes depending on the model...I have a Trophy that is solid but not as weather resistant as I would have liked. My Elite is a great scope, and really makes a name for Bushnell.

Having owned a Leupold, you are probably going to be disappointed in most of the cheaper scopes. Stick to a good brand (Bushnell, Nikon, Sightron, Leupold) that has all the good features you like........Just stay away from the cheap stuff (Tasco, BSA, Simmons) and you will be alright. I have made the mistake of buying a cheap scope for a new rifle and ended up regretting it. A gun is only as accurate as its optics.
Back to top Go down
Omega45

Omega45

Male Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2010-04-15

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 9th 2011, 1:35 am

The Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12x40 Multi-X with adjustable objective would be a good choice if you do not want the lines of the DOA.
Back to top Go down
mikieday

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 9th 2011, 4:52 am

thanks guys...I looked at the 3x9x 40 MX Trophy XLT and the price is right, just got to think on how to mount it up..either with the recommended durasight onepiece med rings or something else.
Back to top Go down
mikieday

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 9th 2011, 4:58 am

one more question...does it matter if the scope says rifle , shotgun or black powder? my VXII when I purchased it was a rifle scope and didnt give me any issues, the rep at cabelas kept telling me I needed a scope for a black powder and a scope made for a shotgun was not a good choice...
Back to top Go down
Omega45

Omega45

Male Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2010-04-15

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 9th 2011, 5:43 am

You can use a rifle scope on a muzzleloader. He's not a very good salesman! Just make sure you have enough eye relief. The XLT will be fine. They have them for under $100 at Natchez if I remember correctly from my surfing last night.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16319
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 9th 2011, 12:41 pm

I don't often buy scopes due to our laws about not being able to use them during muzzle loading season, but my Optima wears the 3-10x44 Konus Pro.
looking for a scope for my new accura v2` DSCN1421

One of the deals i love most about it are the fine cross hairs and allow for pin point accuracy. I use a tiny 1/4" orange dot @ 100 yards and out to 150 yards and can see it perfectly. The tiny dot and thin cross hairs really allow me to get down tight on the target without room to spare around the bulls eye. Its really has allowed me to do some seriously tight shooting.
looking for a scope for my new accura v2` DSCN1425

They are under $100 now, just have to find which store has them the cheapest.
Back to top Go down
mikieday

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 9th 2011, 3:41 pm

i did a search and cant find much on them do you have the item number or is it just a pro 44mm also is the mount med or high...thanks for the pics and info...i like it
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 9th 2011, 4:56 pm

@mikieday wrote:
i did a search and cant find much on them do you have the item number or is it just a pro 44mm also is the mount med or high...thanks for the pics and info...i like it

Right here for $94!
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=816262#productTabReviews

You'll want the High rings.
Back to top Go down
mikieday

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 9th 2011, 4:58 pm

i will check it out, thank you, i like midway too...i looked on natchez but i didnt see konus being sold there...thanks again
Back to top Go down
mikieday

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 9th 2011, 5:03 pm

i see they have the 50mm for 129.. is that over kill for this gun?
Back to top Go down
mikieday

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 9th 2011, 6:00 pm

i ordered the onepiece durasight mount with the high rings..and Im just waiting on the wifes nod to order up the scope..lol,

well got the nod...(edit)...lol thanks for the heads up on that deal thru midway..i ordered it up and i cant wait
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 9th 2011, 8:05 pm

Yeah i honestly think 50mm is overkill for a muzzle loader LOL. I had one and it was heavy and bulky, nice scope but just to darned big.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3776
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 10th 2011, 5:39 am

@mikieday wrote:

I own one 50mm scope... simple awesome to hunt with. Advantages of having a 50mm scope is that it will give you a VERY generous field of view for locating game quick, and a "quality" 50mm will give you significantly more light gathering properties in low light, hunting conditions when it matters the most.

The only disadvantage of a 50mm is that it requires a high ring mounting system. That's OK for someone like me with a long neck, but high mounts can be a challenge to look through if you have a short build.
Back to top Go down
mikieday

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 10th 2011, 10:37 am

I hve no problem looking thru high mounts i used my uncles TC this winter and he has the type of mount you can shoot the iron sights under the scope...wasnt bad at all in facdt i didnt give it any thougt...the 44mm is more then what im used to as my leopuld was 40 so I bet im going to enjoy it
Back to top Go down
aviomech

aviomech

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 11th 2011, 12:58 am

@Marty wrote:
@mikieday wrote:

I own one 50mm scope... simple awesome to hunt with. Advantages of having a 50mm scope is that it will give you a VERY generous field of view for locating game quick, and a "quality" 50mm will give you significantly more light gathering properties in low light, hunting conditions when it matters the most.

The only disadvantage of a 50mm is that it requires a high ring mounting system. That's OK for someone like me with a long neck, but high mounts can be a challenge to look through if you have a short build.

Field of view will mainly depend on magnification and scope length....you are still looking thru a 1" tube, The objective is mainly for light gathering.........I read an article in hunting mag a few years back, that said 32mm was sufficient for any scope and 40mm was even overkill because it gave more light than human eye could use. The writer went on to say that the 50mm was more of a marketing thing an most of the light gathering came from the quality of the lens and lens coating. I can say there is some truth to this as I have owned a Leupold Vari-x III that only had a 20mm objective, and was brighter than some of my 32mm scopes....as long as it fits, there nothing wrong with having a good size objective....but some are overkill...
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10400
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 11th 2011, 7:54 am

I like the smaller sizes so I can mount them lower.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 11th 2011, 10:02 am

Aviomech,

Good point on clarifying FOV... you are absolutely right about the FOV and magnification. While my 50mm Nikon does not give me a bigger FOV, it does give me a fuller & brighter FOV than smaller diameter objectives I've peered through.
Back to top Go down
aviomech

aviomech

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 12th 2011, 4:27 am

Colorado wrote:
I like the smaller sizes so I can mount them lower.

Good point Colorado.......the closer to the bore a scope is mounted, brings your line of sight more parallel to the bore and leads to better accuracy...

Marty...... your right in some scopes are designed to have a better FOV, some of the big objective scopes have a longer taper and shorter tube(the 1") and give a wider, brighter FOV.....This is what makes it hard to find a scope for a long-action bolt rifle that has a good FOV, the tube has to be long enough for the mounts.......Luckily not a problem on muzzleloaders.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aviomech

aviomech

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 12th 2011, 4:51 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
I don't often buy scopes due to our laws about not being able to use them during muzzle loading season, but my Optima wears the 3-10x44 Konus Pro.
looking for a scope for my new accura v2` DSCN1421

What kind of mount is that^^^^^^ I like it, it looks alot like T/C Duo ring setup....
Back to top Go down
mikieday

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 12th 2011, 5:13 am

that is a one piece (high) by a company called Durasight , i ordered the same scope and mount for my accura v2
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 12th 2011, 8:10 am

@mikieday wrote:
that is a one piece (high) by a company called Durasight , i ordered the same scope and mount for my accura v2

DURASIGHT haa a MEDIUM one-piece system also for objectives 40mm and under.
http://www.durasight.com/durasight/z2-alloy-products/integral-mount-systems/for-muzzleloaders/dead-on-one-piece-rail-system.html
Back to top Go down
mikieday

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 12th 2011, 5:31 pm

yep they make a medium too.
Back to top Go down
Snowsolo

Snowsolo

Male Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2011-01-14

PostSubject: Re: looking for a scope for my new accura v2`   looking for a scope for my new accura v2` EmptyMarch 12th 2011, 6:01 pm

@mikieday wrote:
yep they make a medium too.

If you type in "Durasight" in the search menu at the top of this webste, you can find 10 different topics about durasight and all the sizing issues and choices that can answer all your questions. In fact, you can just about find most your answers for most questions using that feature. Its a great tool.
Back to top Go down

looking for a scope for my new accura v2`
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: