Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   April 22nd 2011, 8:53 pm

I did this a couple days ago. I always hear, the 245gr Powerbelt doesn't shoot good in my gun, I use Such and such powder, tried the 295 powerbelts and they worked perfect and shrunk my groups greatly!

I decided to go ahead and use One rifle" CVA Accura V2", Two bullet weights "245 & 295" One primer" Winchester W209", Hodgdons Big Three Pellet powder. The Big Three being, IMR White Hots, Pyrodex Pellets and Triple 7 pellets, all in 100gr Charge.

Making sure everything was equal i went and swabbed between shots for best accuracy, and mainly to be able to get the next bullet seated.

These targets were shot from 75 yards, and to be honest, No pellets offered me the accuracy that i desire and know the rifles can produce.

Starting out with 100gr IMR White Hots and a 245gr Powerbelt, Heres the result:
Now i did take 4 shots because shot #3 hit the bulls eye, i found that odd that it threw it off so far so i took another shot after cleaning and to my surprise, it hit down with that shot.

Changing targets, i again used the IMR White Hots, but this time the 295gr Powerbelt.

Having completed the IMR White Hot test, it was time to clean AGAIN, and load up with the 245gr Powerbelt and 100gr Triple 7 pellets.

100gr Triple 7 Pellets- 295gr Powerbelt.

Already i could see that both bullets with the Triple 7 and shrunk down greatly with just the powder change.

Taking the Quick Release Breech plug out and setting it up on the Best Gun Vise, i proceeded to clean the bore of the Triple 7 fouling. This powder produces some of the worse, hard to clean crusty crud ring i have ever dealt with. This fouling is baked on solid and took 4 patches to clean between shots where as the Pyrodex and IMR's only took one patch, using both sides.

T7 Crud ring,

Going over to 100gr Pyrodex Pellets and the 245gr Powerbelt i was very happy with the first two shots dead center of the bulls eye! Shot Three however wandered off.

Now switching over to the 295 powerbelt with 100gr Pyrodex Pellets, i did NOT expect this at all!

While most of the powders and bullet combo's produced decent hunting size groups, i didn't want to end it feeling poorly so i loaded Five powder tubes with 100gr Blackhorn209, CCI 209 Magnum primers and the 295gr Powerbelts. That actually is 5 shots, one shot apparently threaded into another hole and so it was impossible to figure out which hole it went into.

Now THAT was ending the day on a good note and feeling good about the accuracy it could produce.

It just goes to show you, One bullet may work great with one Powder, but the next bullet, may HATE that powder and not shoot for snot.

Muzzle Loading is a game of spending loads of $$$ on new powders, primers and bullets. Ain't Muzzle loading fun?!!?!
What a Face

Last edited by FrontierGander on May 5th 2011, 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   April 22nd 2011, 9:14 pm

What do you mean you always hear the 245gr don't shoot good?

You're the one saying it. Very Happy

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   April 22nd 2011, 9:20 pm

Over on another forum the 245's seem to be one of those bullets that others dont have much luck with. Now i also noticed they shoot pellet powder with this bullet, so i basically did this test to see what the deal was. I learned a lot myself.
Back to top Go down
montveil

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   April 23rd 2011, 5:54 pm

nice report--thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3699
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   April 23rd 2011, 6:32 pm

Very Happy Smile Cool
GREAT SHOOTING Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Great report Wink When I grow up I want to shoot lke you and Carlos cheers cheers cheers
Great shooting FG Exclamation

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikieday

Male Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2011-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   April 23rd 2011, 7:02 pm

great report
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   April 24th 2011, 9:32 am

Interesting report FG:!: Just goes to show you how particular a smokegun can be. If you are willing to spend the time on the range you can even get pellets to group. I've taken several deer with Powerbelts and pellets.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dudley McGarity

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   April 25th 2011, 8:17 am

Wow. That Blackhorn really will shoot some groups. I know a lot of precision shooters who swear by it. By the way, you need to test the new PowerBelt AeroLite. Those are some real tack drives. The most accurate PowerBelt I have ever shot! Dudley
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   April 25th 2011, 10:13 am

Oh i know it! I tested the 250 and 300gr Aerolites months ago and the 250s in all the rifles shot the best with 100gr BH209.

100 yards 3 shots Optima. First time ever out at the range with them too.

Now what was really surprising was that little Wolf with the 250gr Aerolite and 100gr BH209.

I did test them in Wet News Paper when i first got the Aerolites and it was a bit worrisome but i figured the best way to test a new bullet was go apply for my first out of state hunt in new mexico and see if i could put one through either a big muley or whitetail up in the area i hunt with my brother in law. So i am keeping my fingers crossed on this tag!
Back to top Go down
Dudley McGarity

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   April 25th 2011, 10:35 am

Very good. So far, all the animals I have shot with the AeroLites have been devastated. Even some big hogs. Granted, it is probably best for deer sized game, and there are other heavier and more solid PowerBelt that may be best for the heavy stuff. Dudley
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   May 4th 2011, 2:19 pm

Man what a huge difference!

Today i am trying those NSI Primers out again and redoing my Big 3 test.

I am swabbing between shots and de-carboning the breech plugs flash channel between each shot as well. These NSI 686 primers are medium heat and i am just amazed with the amount of carbon they are producing inside the breech plugs flash channel. I will be sure to take some pictures of the carbon i remove from the breech plug as well the accuracy test of course.

I can tell you though, that CVA Accura V2 .50cal - 100gr IMR White Hots - 295gr HP Powerbelts - NSI primers @ 75 yards are DEADLY accurate now with this new primer.

100gr T7 pellets was a flop with the new primer.

100gr Pyrodex Pellets was a Big improvement.

I am going to be testing the 245 powerbelts next and see if accuracy improves with them as well.

Once we get our new internet provider on Monday, i will upload the info on this test, as well as the Bore Cot - Can it Affect my accuracy? Report.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   May 5th 2011, 9:19 pm

Part 2 with the new NSI Primers!
http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/hodgdon-powder-testing-big-3-part-2.html
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   May 6th 2011, 5:44 am

After testing these primers where would you put them on the temperature scale...

cherry hot as the CCI or Federal 209's Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
montveil

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   May 6th 2011, 6:53 am

Thanks for all you hard work and expense..
I have just started using Blackhorn and your work illustrates that I have to test before passing judgements.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   May 6th 2011, 6:25 pm

@Marty wrote:
After testing these primers where would you put them on the temperature scale...

No, these are medium primers like the Winchester W209 and the Fiocchi primers.
Back to top Go down
jeepman

Male Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   May 7th 2011, 12:09 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
@Marty wrote:

No, these are medium primers like the Winchester W209 and the Fiocchi primers.
Jon, i use STS primers. which when you see all the different primers listed, are truly middle of the road and i do not get hardly any carbon build up after 30 shots of Bh209 in the Triumph. why is it so bad in the rifle your using? and have you tried it in another rifle also?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   January 20th 2014, 7:14 pm

just thought i'd bring this up to help some of the new guys with pellet info.
Back to top Go down
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   January 20th 2014, 8:05 pm

Sure wish ol' jeepman was still around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JTClark

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   February 18th 2014, 5:02 pm

im a new shooter, this report might help me out, would love to see some loose powder report than pellets
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!   

Back to top Go down

Hodgdon Powder Show down Part One & Two!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Powder Room-
Jump to: