Share | 

8mm Mausers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VAKnight

Male Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: 8mm Mausers   December 6th 2008, 8:59 am

Some years ago, I picked up a C&R FFL and ordered several types of Mausers before most of the good ones started drying up.

I picked up a mess of Turkish and Yugo milsurp ammo and have been using them for a while for rifle training with my sons.

My favorites are the VZ-24's. They were lovely, in great condition, good stocks, fine finish, and very accurate.

So my question here, does anyone else play with old military surplus mausers?

Traditions 32 Caliber Crockett Squirrel Rifle - 70 gr Buffalo Ballette, 40 gr FFFG 777
CVA Stag Horn 45 Caliber - Bushnell 1.75x - 4.5x Scope, 225 gr Powerbelt, 2 - 50 gr 777
CVA Optima 45 Caliber - Bushnell 1.75x - 4.5x Scope, 275 gr Powerbelt, 3 - 50 gr 777
CVA Accura 45 Caliber - Bushnell 1.75x - 4.5x Scope, 275 gr Powerbelt, 3 - 50 gr 777
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14483
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: 8mm Mausers   December 6th 2008, 11:17 am

I've seen lots of those 8mm's at the gun shops. The only bad part is that everyone of them either has a rusted up bolt or the barrel is rusted. Evil or Very Mad Its hard to find good looking old rifles these days.

Also found an old 30-30 winchester, damn action was so sloppy that i would have been afraid to have fired it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
VAKnight

Male Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: 8mm Mausers   December 7th 2008, 8:22 am

The ones I picked up a 3 - 4 years ago were in the good to excellent range. Due to the C&R FFL status, I could order them through the mail after I reviewed them on line.

The VZ-24's were lovely, packed in cosmoline just after a arsenal refurbish (new deep blue, etc. sometime in the 50's). They were running about $129 each.

The Turkish Mausers were only in good condition, but they were running 5 for $55 each...I had to grab that deal. Wonderful and inexpensive to keep in the garage or barn for just in case you need a rifle moments.

The Yugos were in good to very good at $99 each, but they were drenched in cosmoline. They took a lot of cleaning.

The ammo, a few years ago, was a great deal. I was picking up sealed tins of Yugo ball ammo at $69 for 900 round tins, and once I found a deal for Turkish bandoliers (ammo on 5 round stripper clips) for $149 for about 2500 rounds. I loaded up on these deals. The Turkish shot best in the Turkish Mausers (go figure that) and the Yugo shot best in everything else. That seemed to be a head space issue there.

These are wonderful rifles with a history. They are great for training youth rifle skills and safety. They are tough, cost effective, easy to tare down, and wonderful training devices for all means of basic home gunsmithing. I recommend you guys look into them sometime. Also, you guys may want to look into getting a C&R FFL. It is not that hard to do. That may change someday.

A C&R FFL also has uses. If you send a copy to Midway (internet ordering house for gun supplies and ammo), they give you a dealer discount that is usually better than any other deals out there.

Traditions 32 Caliber Crockett Squirrel Rifle - 70 gr Buffalo Ballette, 40 gr FFFG 777
CVA Stag Horn 45 Caliber - Bushnell 1.75x - 4.5x Scope, 225 gr Powerbelt, 2 - 50 gr 777
CVA Optima 45 Caliber - Bushnell 1.75x - 4.5x Scope, 275 gr Powerbelt, 3 - 50 gr 777
CVA Accura 45 Caliber - Bushnell 1.75x - 4.5x Scope, 275 gr Powerbelt, 3 - 50 gr 777
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14483
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: 8mm Mausers   December 7th 2008, 11:24 am

I remember when they used to be that cheap. Its hard to find one thats under $200 here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8mm Mausers   

Back to top Go down

8mm Mausers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: