Share | 

An interesting 338-06

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VAKnight

Male Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: An interesting 338-06   December 21st 2008, 8:34 am

A few years ago, I picked up from Midway a 338-06 barrel for a Savage bolt action rifle.

Step it back a notch....

About a month before that, I was doing work in a town on the far eastern side of VA called Franklin. I went into the Franklin WalMart and noticed they had a Black Poly/Blue metal Savage bolt action in 30-06 marked for inventory reduction. It was not just marked down once...it had 5 mark down tags on it (lower...and lower...and lower). I guess it had something to do with that part of VA being a shotgun, not rifle hunting area for large game. The rifle I was looking at had the price of $139.00. I asked the clerk if that was the right price (it was the Scope combo unit) and they said yes. For the heck of it, I asked if it was the only one, and they said no, they had another in back. I had them pull both out, checked them both out and they were fine, so I grabbed up both. This is a deal for new in box I will never see again. These were the standard pre-accutrigger rifles.

They both grouped excellent with standard Win ammo. After a bit, I started to ask myself why I needed 2. I then concluded I would redo one of them.

Back on topic...so I ordered the barrel on sale at midway for $99, a Savage barrel nut wrench, a set of go/no-go gauges, and a Timney trigger.

Replacing the barrel was not hard at all. Basically, you remove the stock, support the receiver, use the barrel nut wrench to remove the barrel nut, then remove the barrel, then replace/thread the barrel until the go/no-go's are happy, then retighten the barrel nut.

Now, not everyone has played with the 338-06. It is a 30-06 that all you have to do is run the case through a 338 expander plug, and you have a lighter duty 338 win mag. The 225 gr 338 loads I do are about 150-200 fps slower than the Win Mags, but they hit with about the same authority, with 1/3 less powder.

If you guys want something fun and different, give it a try. The reloads love Vitavahori (sp?) N150 powder. At the hottest loads, they group the best.

Now, if I can figure out how to make it work on a rebuild for a m1 Garand...now that would be something different!

Traditions 32 Caliber Crockett Squirrel Rifle - 70 gr Buffalo Ballette, 40 gr FFFG 777
CVA Stag Horn 45 Caliber - Bushnell 1.75x - 4.5x Scope, 225 gr Powerbelt, 2 - 50 gr 777
CVA Optima 45 Caliber - Bushnell 1.75x - 4.5x Scope, 275 gr Powerbelt, 3 - 50 gr 777
CVA Accura 45 Caliber - Bushnell 1.75x - 4.5x Scope, 275 gr Powerbelt, 3 - 50 gr 777
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14469
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: An interesting 338-06   December 21st 2008, 12:54 pm

i never even heard of that caliber before. Sounds like a pretty interesting round. And for that price, i'd be looking for more!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com

An interesting 338-06
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: