Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

How To Chose a Scope

Go down 
AuthorMessage
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10397
Registration date : 2010-09-23

How To Chose a Scope Empty
PostSubject: How To Chose a Scope   How To Chose a Scope EmptyMarch 16th 2012, 7:06 pm

Maybe this will help some on picking a scope. Notice what it says about light transmission, and field of view.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-choose-riflescope.html

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Rick

Rick

Male Number of posts : 920
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How To Chose a Scope   How To Chose a Scope EmptyMarch 17th 2012, 10:30 am

real interesting and very informative.

How To Chose a Scope Apex-s10
Back to top Go down
http://whitetailwoods.blogspot.com
inline50

inline50

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: How To Chose a Scope   How To Chose a Scope EmptyMarch 18th 2012, 9:44 am

Good info on scopes. One of the more comprehensive ones I've read.

Regarding objective lens diameter, it's interesting how the very high-end $$ scopes like the Zeiss, Swarovski and Leupold VX 3L prefer 50mm lens on their high power variables.

GregK

Male Number of posts : 3049
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: How To Chose a Scope   How To Chose a Scope EmptyMarch 18th 2012, 9:57 am

I personally believe that a lot of things are more marketing hype than actually useful. I'm talking scope manufactures. All manufacturers have to keep making subtle changes in appearance, packaging, & marketing to keep their sales high. I'm more concerned with tube construction, types of lens coatings & if ALL lenses are coated the same throughout. I need a lot of eye relief to feel comfy & I prefer an "etched" reticle over a wire. Again, these are some of my personal preferences. You may have a totally different reasoning behind what you buy. There is realy no right or wrong. It's what you like & it's really that simple.

Last edited by GregK on March 18th 2012, 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
muznut

muznut

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: How To Chose a Scope   How To Chose a Scope EmptyMarch 18th 2012, 2:04 pm

Good info. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: How To Chose a Scope   How To Chose a Scope EmptyMarch 18th 2012, 2:53 pm

@inline50 wrote:
Good info on scopes. One of the more comprehensive ones I've read.

Regarding objective lens diameter, it's interesting how the very high-end $$ scopes like the Zeiss, Swarovski and Leupold VX 3L prefer 50mm lens on their high power variables.

High power being the key word. A 50mm lens does help with high magnification. 9x is not high magnification. Research it and find out why if you don't believe me. Look for articles that talk about what your eyes can absorb.

As an example. Leupold makes a 2.5x20mm scope. You would think the 20mm lens wouldn't let in much light. It actually lets in more light than your eye can use, because of the low magnification of 2.5.

I use a 2x7x33, because a 33mm lens lets in all the light your eyes can use from 7x power. 3x9x40 lets in all you can use and so on and so on. Boost your magnification on high to 14x and the 50mm finally does some good.

Back to top Go down
muznut

muznut

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: How To Chose a Scope   How To Chose a Scope EmptyMarch 18th 2012, 4:57 pm

Im with you pete I like the smaller low power 2x7x33 scopes and think they let in more light.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: How To Chose a Scope   How To Chose a Scope EmptyMarch 18th 2012, 5:31 pm

@muznut wrote:
Im with you pete I like the smaller low power 2x7x33 scopes and think they let in more light.

I like them, because you can mount them low and get a good cheek weld.

Back to top Go down

How To Chose a Scope
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: