Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Tenn Mountain Rifle

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty
PostSubject: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-22, 21:57

Ready to rocknroll!! Installed the new sights today and i LOVE them!

.380" Front sight, Universal rear sight. Both use .375" dovetail and fit like a glove. The rear sight actually has an additional screw that you tighten down on and it locks the rear sight into the dovetail just for added security.

Came with a total of 6 fiber optics that you can swap out. Some look the same color in the picture but theres one thats more of a yellowish color, along with green, red, and orange. I just switched over to the orange optic as my eye adjusted to the darker color.

The Red tab looking deal is kind of a key that you use to press the spring down that holds the fiber optic in place. Very crafty and looks pretty sturdy
Tenn Mountain Rifle DSCN3320

"Reddish fiber optic installed here"
Tenn Mountain Rifle DSCN3329
Tenn Mountain Rifle DSCN3327

The low-left holes were sighting in shots. The shots at the top of the bulls eye and all in a hole are 3 final shots at 60 yards. I still might be a couple inches low at 100 yards but we will see when I get out there.

250gr REAL conicals lubed with spray on Graphite " Just testing this for now" - Lubed wad, 90gr Goex 2F. CCI #11 Magnum Caps.
Tenn Mountain Rifle DSCN3321

And here she is in all her beauty!
Tenn Mountain Rifle DSCN3324
Back to top Go down
Thunder53

Thunder53

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-22, 22:44

I use nothing but Hi Viz sights on my competition sporting clays shotguns and love them.

muznut

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 06:28

Nice looking rifle.
Back to top Go down
quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570

Male Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 06:52

Nice rifle and it oughta put a bad hurting on deer. Wink
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 13:15

Well 3" high @ 60 put it darn close to dead on @ 100 yards.

The 2f goex is finiky as fudge though! 100 yards on a clean bore it was dead on, shots 2 and 3 on a fouled bore were way the hell up there, swab the bore clean and fire again, right next there with my first shot.

Im going back to pyrodex, I can't have this in the field while hunting.

On a good note, the sights were fudgin perfect!
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 13:18

When was the last time you needed a 2nd shot hunting?

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 13:24

beyond the point Pete. When/if i need a second shot, i damn sure want it to hit where i aim. Pyrodex was 100x more consistent at 100 yards in this rifle.

Did a complete cleaning of the bore, including the lead remover/polishing cloth, I will try again later this evening in cooler weather.
Back to top Go down
shguns

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 14:04

Cooler weather?

Here in E WA its plenty cool right now8)
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 14:12

I think its damn near 80 today.

I got the issue solved right now. I used that polishing cloth in the bore and shes loading smooth again. 2 out of 3 shots were a bit over 1" apart at 100 yards!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 14:46

Welp i did a 5 shot group and 4 showed up on target. Im going to just have to switch back to pyrodex or maybe try an 80gr 2f goex load and see how that does. Im not to happy with lower my charge especially since it will be for elk, but we will see. Im to over heated right now with all the shooting and the hot weather, The lake sure will be a nice change tomorrow!

On a side note, the new targets im shooting have a 3" bulls eye thats orange. I first started out with my orange fiber optic front sight and i thought..... You know, the sights and bulls eye are darn close to the same color.... Went and swapped on the bright green optic. Holy mother! You can pin point that sucker now! Im lovin it!
Back to top Go down
shguns

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 15:07

Sounds good, the front sight on my knight is bright green! With any luck atall I'll be shootin it tomorrow (hope it don't snow again Sad ) high temp in our area expected at about 47 - 50 degrees.

Are you gettin lead deposits in the bore?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 15:18

i found a few small flakes on a patch when i was cleaning. Nothing serious.

I am going to bore coat it. This tight loading at the muzzle BS is the reverse crud ring that #11 caps cause.
Back to top Go down
muznut

muznut

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 17:06

Jon are you sure its a reverse crud ring or choked at the muzzle?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 17:31

reverse crud ring. My cva mtn stalker does the same thing with goex. Its not just with goex but pyrodex, and especially american pioneer powder, thats the worse one.
Back to top Go down
muznut

muznut

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 18:08

How about Swiss or Shutzen?
Back to top Go down
Rick

Rick

Male Number of posts : 920
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Tenn Mountain Rifle   Tenn Mountain Rifle Empty2012-03-23, 21:01

Looks like you ended up with some real good shots.

Tenn Mountain Rifle Apex-s10
Back to top Go down
http://whitetailwoods.blogspot.com

Tenn Mountain Rifle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: