Share | 

encore drama

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
txcookie

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-09-02

PostSubject: encore drama   September 28th 2012, 1:05 am

Gun trip today left me pissed. First was the 30.06 Barrel that I dont understand. cold barrel first shot 200 yards dead on. After that shot I never know where its going to go? piplate groups to say the least. Comeback to 100 and wow I am MOA very annoying!

Swap over to the ML 50 yards 1 inch high and touching step back to 100 and I put 10 bullets into a group the size of a football.... Good glass is being used powder is 777 pellets 2 of them with a hornady sst 250?

I am by no means a great shot but if the gun will shoot I can break out some bags and get 1 inch or better at 100 yards.

At 200 yards I expect 3 inch groups.

Kinda confused especially on the 30.06 every range trip no I send the first bullet down 200 yards first and it always money after that can group?????

any and all advice wanted before I sell these things and get newer bows confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chaded

Male Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2011-05-08

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   September 28th 2012, 2:59 am

You check the hinge pins to see if it is still tight? If you can push it either way at all with your fingers I would replace it with a Bellm oversized one. If you are changing the barrels back and forth this will cause it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony

Male Number of posts : 571
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   September 28th 2012, 6:37 am

Chad is exactly right. Tight hinge pin fit is a must. Also, the "ears" of your forearm need to be sanded where they are not putting side tension on the frame. I haven't seen an Encore yet that doesn't love the Hornady SST low drag and two pellets. If all this fails, I would be going thru my rings, base and scope. One question, has it always shot this way or did it just start doing this?

Harvester Smooth Sabot
100 gr. BH209-Win 209 Primer

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
txcookie

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   September 28th 2012, 8:02 am

Always the forend does touch the frame. I got the hing pins and noticed no diffrence. Guess I will try and sand her down some. Honestly begining to wish I just just bought a cva and ruger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   September 28th 2012, 8:07 am

Heavier lock up springs maybe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Tony

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   September 28th 2012, 8:23 am

I have not owned a centerfire barrel for the Encore so I really don't know what's causing your problems. With the muzzleloader, I have had vertical stringing problems cured with sanding the forearm ears on friends' muzzleloaders. Another thing to look at are the lugs that work loose from the barrel that your forearm screws into. I've found that on many Encores and it affects accuracy more than you would think.

Harvester Smooth Sabot

Back to top Go down
View user profile
txcookie

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   September 28th 2012, 12:28 pm

Muley wrote:
Why don't those problems affect his first shot?

Thats what bugs me but thats on with the center fire the ML just doesnt group very well at 100.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1304
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   September 28th 2012, 1:52 pm

Bought an Encore in about 2006. Also bought five centerfire rifle barrels with decent scopes. That gun was an exercise in exasperation. Three of the centerfire barrels had over size hinge pin holes that the oversize hinge pin and stronger locker pins did not fix: Those barrels went away.

Even with the oversized hinge pin all the barrels had side to side play. The receiver was not properly machined to fit the barrels. My son managed a machine shop at the time: Guys there welded up and re-machined the receiver and the barrels to fit properly. In the end my Encore became a good accurate gun.

In 1950 my Dad gave me my first gun; a Winchester Model 37 shotgun. Sixty two years later there is no side to side play in that barrel. If Winchester in 1950 could make their barrels fit the frame surely TC can do it today. These are not the only issues my Encore had.

TC had and continues to have serious quality control issues with the Encore. They get away with it because the Encore is a wildly popular gun.

End of rant.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sqezer

Male Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   September 28th 2012, 5:09 pm

I fixed mine by selling it. Laughing I spent more time chasing bullet holes than I did getting my wife. Laughing Laughing clown

.45 Knight Disc Extreme MHSDE SS composit stock
.50 Knight Mountaineer Laminated stock
.50 Knight Disc Elite
.50 Knight Disc Extreme X 3
.50 Knight Long Range Hunter
.52 Knight Disc Extreme Winter Camo stock
.45 CVA Apex & 7mm-08
.50 CVA APEX
.45 CVA MagHunter X 5
.50 CVA Buckhorn Mag X 4
.50 CVA Wolf Shorty
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sqezer@yahoo.com
txcookie

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   January 7th 2016, 7:39 pm

Well bringing this back from the dead but I got help of this site. I sanded the ears down. TC ML barrel shoots moa or better! I have killed deer at 160 plus yards with it and consider it to be my best hunting rifle. 

30.06 barrel well I had ran some cheap PPU ammo thru it. MOA groups but good lord it fouled the barrel. After a solid cleaning it shoot far better than I can. 

My Encore is my favorite woods rifle by FAR.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   January 7th 2016, 9:17 pm

I have a friend that had an Encore in .270. He couldn't get it to shoot worth a damn. Sold it to someone who thought he could. He bought a Remington 700 and loves it to this day.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   January 8th 2016, 6:33 am

Txcookie, glad to hear you got it lined out.  I absolutely love my Encore.  I've bought and sold a lot of guns in my life, but my Encore will be with me til I die. I know there are many people that aren't too fond of them, but in the 18 years that I've had mine, it has never let me down.  Still shoots 1" or under at 100 yards to this day.  I can change to my 223 barrel and shoot under 1 inch groups as well.  Enjoy your gun.  Great job getting her shooting good.

Harvester Smooth Sabot

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1750
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   January 8th 2016, 8:33 am

I noticed that my T/C Encore .308 would shoot great with 150 grain Winchester bullet.  But when I switched to some 180 grainers my groups opened up quite a bit.  ????  I eventually sold the barrel and now if I want to hunt center fire I use my Remington 7400 .308.  I mostly use a muzzy for my deer hunting anyway.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: encore drama   

Back to top Go down

encore drama
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: