Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Bullets drifting at longer ranges

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Bullets drifting at longer ranges Empty
PostSubject: Bullets drifting at longer ranges   Bullets drifting at longer ranges EmptyDecember 2nd 2012, 2:48 pm

It got the better of me today and so I put some extra thought into it. I already had a bubble level with me as i had to reset my 150 yard shooting bench. I fired 3 shots at 150 yards and they were perfect but a couple inches to the right.
Bullets drifting at longer ranges DSCN4969

I took one more shot " shown in another pic" and bam, right in there with the other 3.

Started thinking about the table, sure it was leaning SLIGHTLY, you put a dime under the corner of the bubble and it would level perfect so not off that much. I sighted the rifle on the target i normally do and carefully backed off the gun, got the bubble, checked to make sure i was still on target and put the bubble on top of the scope turret cover.
Bullets drifting at longer ranges DSCN4974

Leveled it
Bullets drifting at longer ranges DSCN4975

Took one more shot, almost dead center of the bulls eye! I let it cool down for a good 10 minutes, made some adjustments and hit almost where i needed to. Tomorrow I want to try 170 yards so i put it 2" high.
Bullets drifting at longer ranges DSCN4971

.003" "Crush" Fit on these primers.
Bullets drifting at longer ranges DSCN4986

This is how my table currently sits. I will take some shim stock out there later and shim the right side of the legs and try to even it out the best I can.
Bullets drifting at longer ranges DSCN4973
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Bullets drifting at longer ranges   Bullets drifting at longer ranges EmptyDecember 3rd 2012, 8:36 am

Never thought that a leaning table will make the shots go astray ! Were you using the sled FG ?
Back to top Go down
corey012778

corey012778

Male Number of posts : 2312
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Bullets drifting at longer ranges   Bullets drifting at longer ranges EmptyDecember 3rd 2012, 9:09 am

seen where i had the scope set prefect on one bench (good even bench), was not able to get the same bench the next time out. the scope end up 1in off either way on a bench with a slight lean.

the distance was 50yrds, and the weather was almost the same. +/- 1 degree f.

the range I goto need some work done the benches. got a feeling that it may not be open much longer, budget cuts.

bad monkey  :wow
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10394
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Bullets drifting at longer ranges   Bullets drifting at longer ranges EmptyDecember 3rd 2012, 9:14 am

This would only affect a sled, or something similar. I use sandbags, and level it with my eye. Just like you do in the field.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
shguns

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Bullets drifting at longer ranges   Bullets drifting at longer ranges EmptyDecember 3rd 2012, 9:48 am

Having the reticle leveled in relationship to the bore is critical for long range shooting, the more it is off, the farther off your impact will be at long range.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Bullets drifting at longer ranges   Bullets drifting at longer ranges EmptyDecember 3rd 2012, 11:26 am

That's what i do as well Pete , for me its less trouble using sandbags.
Back to top Go down

Bullets drifting at longer ranges
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: