Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Lyman Deerstalker

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Caplock

Male Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2012-07-17

Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 1st 2013, 4:30 pm

@Spitfire wrote:
If you have a spare .54 barrel you can have Bob Hoyt drill it out to smoothbore...
How much do you think that would cost? I have an old 24 inch Renegade barrel that is pitted that I would like to do something with.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 2nd 2013, 4:29 am

Can't say Caplock but i'll get Bob's number and post it.
Back to top Go down
rodwha

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 2nd 2013, 9:50 am

He comes highly recommended by several guys. In fact he's the only one recommended by anyone.

I understand that it shouldn't cost more than $100, but of course you'd have to talk to him.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 2nd 2013, 11:04 am

It's my understanding as well that he's not to expensive
Back to top Go down
Caplock

Male Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2012-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 2nd 2013, 5:42 pm

What guage would a .54 caliber barrel wind up being after being bored out to be a shotgun?
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2013, 12:00 am

Maybe 24 gauge
Back to top Go down
rodwha

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2013, 7:53 am

I would like for it to be 24 ga, but I figure the max load would be reduced, which I'd be fine with. I'm not sure if a smith would be OK with doing such. Otherwise maybe a 26 ga.

Won't know 'til I get to that point I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2013, 8:33 am

Mostly shotguns don't use the same high loads as we use for bullets .
Back to top Go down
rodwha

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2013, 9:54 am

I don't see myself loading up heavy with powder as small game animals and little birds don't require much.
But I have considered, if it will do well enough, to try for a turkey load. With a cylinder choke I'd have to get fairly close.... I'm not really sure how I'd develop a load for that as I'd want lots of heavy pellets!
The way I understand it lightening the powder and increasing the shot will help keep the pattern more dense.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2013, 10:39 am

Not sure how to make a shottie pattern but it sure will be a fun experience getting it right !
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10397
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2013, 11:08 am

Fooling with patterns is for the expert. I use to make a living in the 70's trap shooting. I always had my chokes patterned by Al Timney. Shoot/hone..shoot/hone etc. He always did my chokes and triggers. He had a trailer that was a machine shop, and was at all the shoots.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2013, 1:03 pm

Muley wrote:
Fooling with patterns is for the expert. I use to make a living in the 70's trap shooting. I always had my chokes patterned by Al Timney. Shoot/hone..shoot/hone etc. He always did my chokes and triggers. He had a trailer that was a machine shop, and was at all the shoots.

Did you ever see your buddy, Obama, at those shoots? I understand he's quite the shotgunner. Suspect afro
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2013, 1:27 pm

@patocazador wrote:
Muley wrote:

Did you ever see your buddy, Obama, at those shoots? I understand he's quite the shotgunner. Suspect afro

Two things wrong with your post.

Obama is hardly my buddy. I didn't vote for him.

70's???? Do you know how old he was then Reb?

Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2013, 1:46 pm

If he's a shotgunner, age doesn't matter.
The 70s wasn't that long ago. I don't feel a lot older than I did then ... until I look in a mirror. No

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2013, 2:30 pm

Well, in 1970 he was 9 years old. Entry fees were to $1000.

Somehow, I don't think he was there.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16318
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 3rd 2013, 3:10 pm

ahaha obama and his shotgun pic. I laughed at that and just rolled my eyes.
Back to top Go down
rodwha

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 4th 2013, 8:04 am

"Fooling with patterns is for the expert."

I've read that, with muzzleloading shotguns, one can change up the pattern a bit by changing the powder charge vs shot weight

From what I found on the net, a cylinder bore ought to give a 26" pattern at 15 yds, 32" pattern at 20 yds, and 40" pattern at 25 yds. I'd certainly like to tighten that up if possible.

I don't know how much can be changed by changing the load, but I'd give it the ole around the block.

I've also wondered just what a smith can do with a side lock barrel as far as giving it a choke. Or even threading a modern choke in (ducking). Problem, of course, would then be the gauge. I'd certainly need to go with a 28 ga as there couldn't possibly be enough meat to bore it out to a 20 ga.

And I've considered 28 ga as it sounds so petite, but frankly, being a muzzleloader, I could still pack an ounce of shot in there... I don't how limiting that may be for hunting certain animals though. But then again a 24 ga may not be big enough according to the regs...
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 4th 2013, 9:18 am

We didn't have the option to fool with loads in the early 70's for trap shooting. The shot that was offered at the time for reloading was too soft compared to the factory ammo. In trap shooting the shots were at too long a distance to use soft shot. So, all we shot was new factory ammo.

Having a gunsmith rework the choke was our only option.

Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Lyman Deerstalker   Lyman Deerstalker - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 4th 2013, 11:29 am

I see some of the ml shotguns do have screw-in chokes
Back to top Go down

Lyman Deerstalker
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: