Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Smoke gun off-season storage...

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
heelerau

Male Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Smoke gun off-season storage...   March 10th 2018, 9:01 am

Gents after cleaning, with cold water, dry with dry flannel patches, a squirt of dewatering oil, WD40 and the like, another wipe out with a dry patch then a wool mop with ballistol, or sweet oil. A few days later I run a dry patch down to check no flash rust then another wool  mop with either ballistol or sweet oil ( extra virgin olive oil)  I have checked some of my less used rifles over 12 months later and no rust. I might add that Western Australia is a pretty dry state, but we do have rainy winters. The rifles are either in a safe with gel packs or in a stout oak cupboard in the big room. I have over time found the odd lock has needed  some fresh oil and the set triggers the same as they had gummed up from lack of  use. What ever you do I think it does not hurt to occasionally run a clean patch down to check how things are.

Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2416
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Smoke gun off-season storage...   March 10th 2018, 9:49 am

I use to have my collection along with the family's collections of firearms (I was looking at over 400 guns from F&I War to Nam). The biggest problem was rust so that meant cleaning at least 2 guns each night throughout the years, no time off. After 8-10 years of this even with rubber gloves my hands went to hell with the cleaning products. I went through every gun and edged weapon picking out what I really liked. Got down to several groupings of weapons in various time periods in 80% NRA Very Good to Fine condition. It took several years of having tables at gun shows selling, trading and swapping to get down to a couple dozen flintlock and percussion antique firearms in "NRA Fine condition guns" (edged weapons where sold to a local museum as a group). 

Since then I'm now down to a dozen plus muzzleloading firearms not counting modern making life, insurance costs and space more manageable. 

My family (relations) are not into anything we (the wife and myself) like, so I put it in our will when we're gone all these items, guns, furniture (one buffet was built when Abe Lincoln was President), tools, etc. will he sold and the funds donated to one of the animal societies for purchase of food and shelter only (not management fees). Life can be a big pain in the butt ......

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Smoke gun off-season storage...   March 10th 2018, 9:53 am

I have no off season. I shoot all year long. It's fun.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smoke gun off-season storage...   

Back to top Go down

Smoke gun off-season storage...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: