Share | 

Random Colorado question

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HiCntryCO

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Random Colorado question   May 19th 2009, 3:15 pm

I am debating about using my muzzleloader during the first elk season here in co this fall. My question is if you are using a muzzleloader during the regular rifle seasons are you allowed to use a scope or sabots?? I don't know if I will use my muzzleloader or if I would even use a scope or sabot but was just wondering if the same restrictions apply to muzzleloaders during regular rifle seasons. Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15182
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Random Colorado question   May 19th 2009, 4:23 pm

During rifle season you can use a muzzleloader equipped with scope,sabots and pellets.

You should give it a try if you draw a tag for either season, it is addicting! A muzzleloader is all i hunt with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Random Colorado question   May 19th 2009, 7:33 pm

Once you harvest big game with the one-shot smokegun challenge...you won't go back to centerfires. That's what happened to me 10 years ago. It forces you to maximize your hunting skills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HiCntryCO

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Random Colorado question   May 20th 2009, 11:09 am

Thanks for the info fellas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Random Colorado question   August 1st 2017, 7:10 am

A small group of friends have used muzzleloaders in every season in Colorado (all guns we hunt with are black powder). The 8 of us are using: single and double barreled shotguns, small caliber squirrel rifles, larger caliber rifles for big game and NW trade guns (used for everything). This year we will hunt our 34th season of hunting with muzzleloaders only and with traditional sights (no scopes).

You will run across guys with modern weapons for that season and just stand and look at what we are shooting, some will smile and then shake their heads. At the end of the day they are looking at the game taken with the muzzleloaders, then start asking how and why we use these guns. In a few case some of them have gone with us and are now packin' muzzleloaders too.

1). We have found that many don't shoot their guns anymore than a few times before the season (they don't know where it will hit and usually shot off a bench). Practice is the "key" to any sport, shooting sport included).

2). When in the field you hear them for an 1/8 of a mile making noise, talking, laughing, noise-noise-noise. If we hear them you know damn well the game does and leaves.

3). They do silly things like walking right out into a field, walk fast, quick movements, (just about every body move you don't want to make). If I see it you know every game animal in the area has long before I did.

4). Most don't have a clue on stalking their game You need to move from cover to cover - stop look around, listen, then move to the next spot. Not just go stomping through the area like hikers are seen doing.

5). Your scent will alarm all the animals around you, the archery guys use scent killing soap, Arms & Hammer baking soda, many scent killing powders and washes are on the market (usually found in the archery section of your store). Don't smoke when hunting or when you have just used your scent killing product (that smell of you smoking is a dead give away, think about that).

These are just a few items we notice every year of what new and old hunters are doing no matter what the weapon carried is.

Talk to the successful archery folks, study and learn how they hunt because they get close to the game.  The closer the better, no one needs wounded animals.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Colorado question   

Back to top Go down

Random Colorado question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: