Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Another fishing trip

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Another fishing trip Empty
PostSubject: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-27, 22:10

Nephew and i headed out around 130 this afternoon and headed back up to our normal spot. Fishing the first 2 hours was extremely slow, I had caught the first 2 and then after that, it was just dragging, no bites, no nibbles no fish jumping. We took a ride and by the time we got back, some people were in our spot but moved off later on. Around 6pm we called it quits at that place and drove over to the dam area. My nephew started catching them like crazy and after we had caught our limit, we stuck around for another half hour for some catch and release.
Another fishing trip DSCN6165

I painted and cleared this kasmaster lure "originally gold" and i was getting hits like crazy but just kept tugging it a bit to much and they'd throw the hook. The white lure did excellent but needs more "testings". I have to make a new one though because the line on a rod snapped and out she went Crying or Very sad
Another fishing trip DSCN6158
Another fishing trip DSCN6157

On a bad note, my nephews new abu garcia 276 turned out to be a turd after 12 casts, the line completely locked up and to make matters worse, the line sits extremely far back into the reel casing to where you cant even replace the line! I emailed them and i laid it on them about this reel and how their fudged up design is BS. They KNOW the line is ALWAYS going to get tangled at some point and yet they do this fudged up design where it looks like i have to completely tear it apart just to replace line?!!
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-28, 00:10

Normally the Abu reels are really good
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3801
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-28, 08:38

It's always sweet when a trip puts fish in the skillet!

Open-faced spinning reels will give you far less trouble than closed face reels. Something to consider with future purchases.

I spent all day yesterday getting my bass boat ready for spring smallies. Today will be spent on tackle prep and inventory for the season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. FG... are you sure you're not dippin' your lures in snow camo Question Razz lol!
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-28, 09:33

Yeah you're right Marty , around here we mainly use the closed face reels for big game fishing.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-28, 10:17

lol i did look at one and thought about the snow camo. Hmmmm.. Maybe one day?!
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-28, 14:23

Abu Garcia is like most of the companies, they make good stuff and they make crap. Daiwa is the same way. I HATE spin-cast reels; they're always getting line in the gears, etc. I prefer Shimano higher priced spinning reels. All those ball bearings help a lot.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-28, 16:46

Any ideas at how to restring this thing? LOL, its horrible! I honestly cant even figure out how to get the guts out of it.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-29, 12:33

Have you tried a hammer yet Jon ? Wink
Back to top Go down
inline50

inline50

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-30, 05:34

FrontierMuzzleloading wrote:
Any ideas at how to restring this thing? LOL, its horrible! I honestly cant even figure out how to get the guts out of it.
One BIG reason to get a spinning reel. They are easy to maintain and change line. If you fish from the shoreline, spinning reels provide longer casting of small lures.

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-30, 08:04

There must be a way to twist the cover off and take the spool out , don't you have a manual for the reel ?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-30, 10:24

its a 5 page manual that tells you how to change the reel handle over to the next side Laughing
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-30, 10:45

Yeah that helps a lot ! Laughing
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-30, 10:52

If it's like a Zebco, grasp the whole housing near the front and unscrew or twist counter-clockwise. That will allow the housing to slide off exposing the internal parts. Then it's just pluck and cut. The housing may be bound up because of the bunched up twisted line inside.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-30, 11:09

Drummy PMed me a link and i got her all fixed up! Stupid! These instructions on the website were so easy, why the hell couldnt AG put them in their manual?!!
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Another fishing trip   Another fishing trip Empty2013-04-30, 12:30

Saving money , or paper..... Wink
Back to top Go down

Another fishing trip
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Fishing Forum :: Fishing-
Jump to: