Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Are there shims for scope mounts?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
EarlyRiser1

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-26

Are there shims for scope mounts? Empty
PostSubject: Are there shims for scope mounts?   Are there shims for scope mounts? EmptyJune 23rd 2013, 8:04 pm

CVA Optima with factory rings and 40 mm Nikon Pro Hunter scope.

I was getting a high percentage of misfires. Finally figured out my problem, but now I need a solution.

Hammer would ding the underside of the scope bell. Sometimes this allowed the firing pin to ding the primer but not set it off.

Are shims available for the scope mounts to raise them slightly?

I could buy a higher mount, but I would rather keep the scope close to the bore.

What would you suggest???
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16318
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Are there shims for scope mounts?   Are there shims for scope mounts? EmptyJune 23rd 2013, 8:26 pm

Not sure, but i have seen folks cut aluminum cans for shims and put them under the bases. I personally think that higher mounts would be the best way to go.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Are there shims for scope mounts?   Are there shims for scope mounts? EmptyJune 24th 2013, 4:06 am

Yeah shims might work loose in the long run and cause other problems...go with taller mounts.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Are there shims for scope mounts?   Are there shims for scope mounts? EmptyJune 25th 2013, 3:25 pm

The only successful shims I've seen are when a scope is slightly undersized for the ring diameter. (I'm not talking about 1" scopes in 30mm rings.) Some cheap scopes or rings are under/over sized and a thin shim under the scope in the ring area will allow for the proper tightness. I've never heard of a shimmed base being used. Going with the next highest rings would be better.
It's just a muzzle-loader so we're not talking about 400-600 yard shots where a very low scope is a definite asset.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Are there shims for scope mounts?   Are there shims for scope mounts? EmptyJune 26th 2013, 9:21 am

Yep i agree , and going with taller bases might save you a lot of trouble.
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2071
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Are there shims for scope mounts?   Are there shims for scope mounts? EmptyJune 26th 2013, 10:06 am

There are commercially made rifle scope mount shims.  Generally used, for example, when the scope adjustment has reached maximum elevation and you need more.  In your case, going to the next higher scope ring / mount is probably the better choice.

Here's link from Brownell's to see what they look like. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/scope-shims/scope-shim-kit-prod914.aspx

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
hntbambi

Male Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there shims for scope mounts?   Are there shims for scope mounts? EmptyJuly 7th 2013, 6:20 am

You have 3 options:
1)  User higher mounts - Shop around to find a mount that will give you the correct height without being too high.  This is the best method.

2)  Grind a little bit off of the hammer - Use a Dremel to reshape the happer tip to provide adequate clearance.  I did this to one of my HandiRifles.  It works.  This is the second best method.

3)  Shim the base.  You need to make sure the rings are still properly aligned.  If not you are bending the scope which will ruin it.  I would not shim over .020".  If that is not enough room, do it correctly and buy the proper height mount/ring.
Back to top Go down

Are there shims for scope mounts?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: