Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Shooting My '51 Navy Replica

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Shooting My '51 Navy Replica Empty
PostSubject: Shooting My '51 Navy Replica   Shooting My '51 Navy Replica EmptyJuly 14th 2013, 1:28 pm

About 40 years ago I bought an Italian made replica of a Colt 1851 Navy revolver. I never shot it much and always used cast conical bullets when I did. The shots were usually all over the place and I thought the EuroArms revolver was a POS.
I loaded it with some cast round balls and 20 gr. of 3FG about 3 weeks ago and never got around to shooting it until today. It has been raining quite a bit with high humidity so I figured I'd better empty it. I put a target up and shot all 6 bullets offhand at 35 feet. I couldn't believe the group. It put all 6 in a 4" mainly horizontal group. scratch  I wasn't even trying to pick a spot, just shooting at a black circle.

Without trying I stumbled on to a very accurate load for that old $47.00 pistol.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16222
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Shooting My '51 Navy Replica   Shooting My '51 Navy Replica EmptyJuly 14th 2013, 1:31 pm

Laughing  dont you just love it when something GOOD happens right out of the blue?!
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Shooting My '51 Navy Replica   Shooting My '51 Navy Replica EmptyJuly 14th 2013, 2:36 pm

The amazing part is that I hit the target at all. The rear sight on those Colt pistols is just a notch cut in the top of the hammer. the front sight is an elongated 'button' that looks like an upside-down golf tee.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1546
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Shooting My '51 Navy Replica   Shooting My '51 Navy Replica EmptyJuly 14th 2013, 6:41 pm

Glad you found a good load for your gun.

That reminds me, i have an unfired Walker replica from Christmas 2010.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Shooting My '51 Navy Replica   Shooting My '51 Navy Replica EmptyJuly 15th 2013, 9:30 am

Pato it's not so much the 'load' you found but the fodder you send off through the tube .

I have 4 c&b revolvers and all of them prefer balls.
Back to top Go down

Shooting My '51 Navy Replica
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Black Powder Hand Guns-
Jump to: