Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Spotting Scope Recommendation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pastortlc

pastortlc

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Spotting Scope Recommendation Empty
PostSubject: Spotting Scope Recommendation   Spotting Scope Recommendation Empty8/28/2013, 10:17 am

My wife has asked me for a Christmas list and since I just bought a new ml & scope I thought a spotting scope would be great for the range.  Does anyone have any recommendations on a spotting scope?  I have found them listed from a couple of hundred dollars to a couple of thousand dollars.  Since I don't live out west where I could use one hunting, I really only need it for the range so I am looking for a decent scope without breaking the bank.  Thanks for any help.

BH QRBP
BlackHorn 209 - 110 GRS.
Federal 209A Primers
Barnes T-EZ 250 gr.
Set Up by Carlos!
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Spotting Scope Recommendation   Spotting Scope Recommendation Empty8/28/2013, 10:21 am

If you're just using it at the bench, it won't be subjected to any abuse in the field. I'd go look through a few and pick the cheapest one that you like.

I had a 45x Redfield years ago that held up well. I gave it to my brother who lives in Montana. He needed it more than I.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3767
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Spotting Scope Recommendation   Spotting Scope Recommendation Empty8/28/2013, 12:36 pm

Same as rifle scopes, price usually reflects quality.

For the rifle range and field use, I’d go with a spotting scope that has an angled eye-piece, is fog-proof, and has a starting zoom power below 20X.    

I have an inexpensive $100 spotting which “does-the-job” on the 100 yards rifle range.  However, if I wanted to step it up a notch or two, I’d check into the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 12-36 x50 (45 degree) Spotting Scope ( $300-$350 range), or the Vanguard Endeavor HD 65A Angled Eyepiece Spotting Scope with 15-45x Magnification ($500-$600). 

http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/spotting-scopes/legend-ultra-hd/12–36-x-50mm-(45°)

http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/os/products/hunting-outdoor/detail-2-10-262-991.html

Back to top Go down
MLN1963

Male Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Spotting Scope Recommendation   Spotting Scope Recommendation Empty9/9/2013, 12:00 pm

I have a Konus 20-60x80mm and it works good. My ecology instructor has on older Leupold and mine was way better than his at thousands of dollars less. I don't profess to say that my $220 spotting scope is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I just know it is way better than the one and only Leupold I compared it to. 

The biggest thing I have found is you will want to spend a large chunk of change for a solid tripod to mount it on. Even the slightest wind will have a cheap one looking all over the map!

http://www.opticsplanet.com/konus-konuspot-80-80mm-3-1-spotting-scope.html

I have more muzzleloaders than centerfires! How did that happen?

T/C Omega Dream Season
CVA Optima V1 rifle with WP BH209 breech plug
CVA Optima V2 pistol with WP BH209 breech plug
CVA Electra No breech plug, it has a spark plug
Back to top Go down

Spotting Scope Recommendation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: