Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15630
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 18th 2013, 8:21 pm

Traditions Strikerfire

Strikerfire downs a big muley!

The Traditions Strikerfire has arrived! I had been out in the shop casting some bullets when I heard the UPS truck engine with that whistle to it, Turned off my pot and knew I had my hands full before I shut the door.
As usual, I inspected the gun to make sure there was no factory errors/major flaws, none to be found. Second thing I did, Play with the new Hammerless Striker system! Very cool and very smooth operation. With any new design that you are not used to, it will take time for it to feel as natural as a regular hammer design gun. The De-cocking button is simple, just press down and it uncocks the rifle and you're back on safety. I will show this Hammerless design on Video for better exposure on how it all works.
This rifle has the Double safety system where its on safety when the Striker is not cocked, and is also has the Trigger block safety.

Superb finish on this rifle! As a stock dipper myself, Traditions has a beautiful pattern with the Realtree Xtra and the Hogue overmold stock. The rifle is 44" Overall Length with a Trigger Pull of 14 inches. The rear stock and forearm are both fitted with Steel Sling Studs.
Traditions Strikerfire Weight
This rifle fully scoped as you see in the pictures weighs in on my scale at 7lbs 4oz.

Barrel
28" Tapered & Fluted Chromoly barrel. This gun does NOT use the Bullet Guiding Muzzle we see of most Inline muzzleloaders today. This is normally a small 3/8" section of barrel at the muzzle that is free of rifling and allows you to place your sabot or conical bullet into the barrel before pushing it down. Supposedly it makes for easier loading, but as most of us have found out, it simply robs us of barrel length and on some other brands, causes major accuracy issues when using full bore conical bullets. Thumbs up to Traditions for giving us a fully rifled barrel! 26 3/4" of useable barrel length. Barrel is drilled and tapped for open sights.

Ramrod is of solid Aluminum and is extendable for those that must swab the bore between shots. Cleaning and Loading Jag are supplied and carried on the ramrod at all times.

Breech Plug
The Accelerator Breech Plus is removed simply with your fingers and comes out in Three full turns. The supplied breech plug is safe for both Loose Powder and Pellet Powder. Blackhorn209 friendly!

Note" Metric O-ring was added so there was ZERO primer blowby into the action!

Recoil Pad
Not soft at all, very firm but not uncomfortable to where you will be sore after shooting 20+ shots of Blackhorn209. The recoil pad on the Strikerfire is removable by pressing in two round tabs on the sides of the stock and pulled straight back. Very handy for storing cleaning patches or what ever gear you need with your gun. I am currently building a foam compartment for mine that will hold 3 speed loaders.

When firing, Hold rifle Firmly  at the forearm when shooting loads that exceed 110 grains Volume!

Trigger
Traditions has hit a home run with this set up! The Strikerfire uses a TAC2 2 stage competition style trigger that is set at 2lbs. This trigger just blew me away when I first tried it! I've never felt anything like this before. There is just no hardness to it at all, you don't know when it will fire because there is not that traditional creep/grit/breaks like glass feel when pulled. This is very hard to explain how it feels! The best thing to do, get to a store and try one out! I love the trigger and look forward to trying it on the range through the winter months.
Update!! The Strikerfire's trigger on an RCBS trigger scale breaks at exactly 26oz.
Overall, I am extremely impressed with both the Quality of material used and especially that trigger! The rifle balances beautifully and is NOT barrel heavy. While having the rifle for only a few hours now, I have already sighted this bad boy in at 100 yards!
Scope
The scope is the factory mounted 3-9x40 Traditions brand scope with the BDC cross hairs out to 200 yards. I sighted this rifle dead on using the 50 yard line, moved out to 100 yards, used the 100 cross hair and while it shot a couple inches to the right, the height was dead on! I think this will actually be a scope that hits where its actually marked inside of the scope. Clarity is great, no blur or fuzz around the edges. The cross hairs are what I'd call a Medium width.

More info to come as I shoot and test new loads.

110 grains Blackhorn209, Harvester EZ Load sabot, 260 grain Harvester Scorpion PT Gold, CCI 209 Magnum primers.
Enjoy the pictures until I get more range time in the morning!

Last edited by FrontierGander on October 24th 2017, 9:15 am; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 18th 2013, 8:36 pm

Interesting gun.

How did you get all that sawdust with an axe?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Half Fast

Male Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 18th 2013, 8:41 pm

Muley wrote:
Interesting gun.

How did you get all that sawdust with an axe?

LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 18th 2013, 8:41 pm

Hahah! Yep, firewood cutting time of the year.
Back to top Go down
jcampoli

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 5:25 am

Nice initial review Jon. Agree with Muley, interesting gun. I look forward to more reports.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 6:12 am

Jon, the Traditions company advertising department could use a man like you. Nice job!  The muzzleloader hunter sure have some great choices in rifles theses days.

The department of Natural Resources for the various states are going to have to re-think muzzleloading seasons because all the new rifles are far from being a primitive weapon. Very Happy

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 6:23 am

When you said it didn't have a Bullet Guiding Muzzle, I was afraid the barrel wasn't crowned but from the photo see that it is.

I wish I had that trigger and lighter barrel on my Savage ML10.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

Male Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 6:32 am

Excellent review as usual FG. It is an interesting twist on a old design. I have the LDR and cocking the hammer with the safety on is rather loud. With most inlines being scoped this could be a good feature.

Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 6:32 am

The LHR Redemption did not have a Bullet Guiding Muzzle either but loading was still easy.  I didn't miss it at all.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 7:55 am

Wonder why the crown is so large ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cannonball

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2013-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 9:36 am

Would like to see how the trigger pull feels.  I like my set triggers.

Muley - That axe is a splitting mall, but the gun would look terrible with a chain saw in it.  I have seen a lot of still life paintings, but they have been with old time guns and old time axes.  Never a new fangled gun and chain saw.Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 10:33 am

Well, it's a new fangled gun. A chain saw would fit right in. Wink

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 12:22 pm

Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 7:47 pm

More pics added!
Back to top Go down
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3049
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 8:00 pm

How do you think it compares to the Redemption?

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 8:04 pm

So, that long trigger pull was setting the trigger? What does it do if you keep pulling, will it fire?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 19th 2013, 8:27 pm

that 'long' TP was just the take up before you hit the resistance and then it breaks clean. I will have some better videos within a week or 2.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 20th 2013, 1:33 pm

FG,

If the rifles is well balanced as you say, then why  Question  the warning under recoil above....  Arrow 

" When firing, Hold rifle Firmly  at the forearm when shooting loads that exceed 110 grains Volume! "
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3699
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 20th 2013, 1:44 pm

scratch 

Looks nice Exclamation  That's for sure Cool The group's you posted showed it could worked with. Post more pics after you tweak it some.

Ray..........Wink

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ram2

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 20th 2013, 7:14 pm

How does the quality of the Strikerfire compare to a TC Triumph?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 20th 2013, 7:46 pm

Hard to answer without ever having owned a triump. I do feel that the stock is a lot better quality feel than what the triump comes with.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 20th 2013, 7:48 pm

@Marty wrote:
FG,

If the rifles is well balanced as you say, then why  Question  the warning under recoil above....  Arrow 

" When firing, Hold rifle Firmly  at the forearm when shooting loads that exceed 110 grains Volume! "
Marty, recoil is driven straight back into the shooters shoulder, you don't get that barrel lift. After shooting at the NRA today, my elbow is skinned from it pushing back under recoil and rubbing my elbow across the cement table top. Its a healthy kick with 110 grains powder but after 5 or 6 shots, you're pretty much used to it.
Back to top Go down
biddler2

Male Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 20th 2013, 8:17 pm

I have the LDR which is an even longer barrel and I feel it is balanced. I like the forearm and stock on the LDR. It looks very similar to the strikerfire but with a better butt pad. When shooting from a front rest mine will rise some but normally a light amount of pressure pulling down on the fore grip is all I need.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 20th 2013, 9:49 pm

Well guys, The Strikerfire is dead on and ready to go! My brother in law took a couple shots at 200 yards and surprisingly, that scope with the ranging cross hairs, actually works! He was 1" low at 200 yards. That left us both amused and in shock, I've only had one scope before this one that actually worked the way it was advertised.

Another load we developed was with the Yellow sabot that comes with the Traditions Smackdown sabots. Our Harvester EZ load sabots were giving us some stringing "up/down" issues and so I decided to give the Yellow sabots a try with 110gr Blackhorn209, 260gr Harvester Scorpion PT Gold and I put the first 2 shots into a nickel size group and my brother in law took one shot and opened it up to a quarter size group. Dead on with the 100 yard marker and 1" low with the 200 yard marker! This rifle is ready to rocknroll!

Some pictures from the range.

A father/son were shooting next to us and came over and were asking about some of the items I was using, I pulled the Strikerfire out of the box and handed it over to them, their jaws hit the cement. They couldn't get over the lightweight feel and the trigger pull. What was their reaction to the hammerless design? That's what had their jaws on the ground in the first place!

They took some pictures and turns out, they were Shockeys Gold pellet shooters. The son made sure to take some pictures of the Blackhorn209 powder can so he could remember what to look for when he got home. They were both TC Triump shooters, not sure for how much longer though Laughing 

Brother in law. This is his hunt and so he'll be behind the Strikerfire on September 24th.

Myself,
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW   September 21st 2013, 12:11 am

Nice report Jon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Traditions Strikerfire REVIEW