Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

.... New toy arrived yesterday ...............

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: .... New toy arrived yesterday ...............   November 3rd 2013, 7:20 pm

Very Happy Smile 

My new toy arrived yesterday and I was really impressed with the condition of the rifle. I bought this rifle from Track of the Wolf and John at their shop said it was in good shape and he was right. Before you actually get the rifle you only see a pic with about 5 or 6 different views. The stock is great. No scratches or dents. There is a little wear of the bluing on the barrel and I mean just a little. The stock is black walnut and it's nice. If you go to Track of the Wolf and click on guns and then percussion rifles. Once there go to AAM-251 and that's the one I bought. I never bought anything like this without seeing it up close but John was correct. I would say it's a 9 out of 10. If it fires as well as it looks I would say a 9.5 out of 10.
It's a .54 cal RENEGADE with a 26" barrel with a 1-48 twist. The barrel is in great shape. No pitting or rust. Who ever had this rifle really took care of it both inside and out. I hope it performs as good as it looks. When I fired my flinter the first time I was hooked. Had to have a cap lock and now I can't wait to shoot it.
I have to wait until next weekend to shoot it. It's going to be a long week. I'll keep you posted Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation 

Ray..............Shooter

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14532
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: .... New toy arrived yesterday ...............   November 3rd 2013, 7:26 pm

Well get some dang pic hawg! Slap fight  you know we all like the see the new ladies when they show up.

A little birchwood casey bluing paste will touch up any wear, does a great job too and quick.

Good luck with it! Hopefully you keep the patched round ball, it should be a shooter and really leave some holes in the deer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: .... New toy arrived yesterday ...............   November 3rd 2013, 7:36 pm

I found it Ray. I had one just like it that I put a Green Mountain barrel on it. Killed a cow elk at 70 yds with a PRB. I should have kept that gun.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/555/1/AAM-251

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3300
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: .... New toy arrived yesterday ...............   November 3rd 2013, 8:52 pm

Cap lock,PRB's...sounds like a new and exciting hunting challenge ahead of you hawg  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: .... New toy arrived yesterday ...............   November 3rd 2013, 11:01 pm

Nothing says muzzleloading more than a cap lock or flint lock rifle Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: .... New toy arrived yesterday ...............   November 4th 2013, 9:11 am

Very Happy 

If it doesn't take too much time to get her zeroed in for 100 yards before the ML'ER ONLY SEASON, which is the 2nd weekend of Dec, I just my have her in the blind with me. cheers 

Ray...............Wink

PETE, 

What do you think Question 70 OR 80 grains of 2F or 3F Goex with a .530 ball w/.015 or .018 lubed patch and starting it off I found Remington #11 cap?

Shooter

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: .... New toy arrived yesterday ...............   November 4th 2013, 9:21 am

That will be fine Ray. You know the routine. Go up and down with the powder load until you find the sweet spot.

With the 1-48 twist you have you won't be able to go as high with the powder charge as a slow twist barrel. However, you have the option to shoot conicals like the TC maxi ball too.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: .... New toy arrived yesterday ...............   November 4th 2013, 9:44 am

Very Happy 

Thanks Pete for the info Exclamation 

Ray.........Wink

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: .... New toy arrived yesterday ...............   November 4th 2013, 10:11 am

Nice thing about the ball guns is that they don't recoil a lot but still pack a hell of a punch !

With 80 gr 2F and a hard cast .535 ball you can expect pass through's on broadside shots at around 70 to 80 yds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: .... New toy arrived yesterday ...............   

Back to top Go down

.... New toy arrived yesterday ...............
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: