Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

putting ML up for a few days--cleaning?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
montveil

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-09-11

PostSubject: putting ML up for a few days--cleaning?   November 19th 2013, 9:06 am

I foul the barrel with 1-2 primers then load a 270 platinum Powerbelt over 100 grains of BH 209.
When I come in from the field and keep the ML in the truck or on the porch it collects moisture = rust.
The same thing happens when I reload in the field after a shot.

Could I run a brush covered with a dry patch down the bore without the residues affecting the next shot?

Should I bring the ML inside and remove the powder and bullet to clean the barrel

What are your suggestions? What do you guys do?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: putting ML up for a few days--cleaning?   November 19th 2013, 9:19 am

Shooting off a couple of primers is to clean out any oil that might be in the BP/bore. It doesn't really foul the barrel like taking a shot does. Why are you doing it?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
montveil

PostSubject: Re: putting ML up for a few days--cleaning?   November 19th 2013, 9:25 am

I have moisture and barrel rusting problems with a load in the barrel after firing as there is residual powder left.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: putting ML up for a few days--cleaning?   November 19th 2013, 9:31 am

Lets start over. Does your gun shoot accurately on a clean bore? If it does, then you don't need to foul it in any way. That includes shooting just the primers. The fouling from primers can hold moisture, and that will cause rusting.

Use an alcohol patch followed with a dry patch to remove all oil from the bore. same with the breech plug. Use Q-tips and alcohol to remove oil.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
montveil

PostSubject: Re: putting ML up for a few days--cleaning?   November 19th 2013, 9:44 am

could you use the patches on a loaded but previously fired bore?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inline50

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: putting ML up for a few days--cleaning?   November 19th 2013, 11:40 am

The rust is not coming from BH209.  Regardless of the cause of the rust, I'd start over with removing the charge, followed by a good scrubbing of the barrel with a brush, then followed-up by solvent-wetted patches, then dry patches until they come out clean.  (I use Hoppe's 9 as a BH209 solvent).
I would not attempt any cleaning once a charge is in the barrel.

montveil

PostSubject: Re: putting ML up for a few days--cleaning?   November 19th 2013, 5:04 pm

Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: putting ML up for a few days--cleaning?   

Back to top Go down

putting ML up for a few days--cleaning?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Powder Room-
Jump to: