Share | 

CVA Magbolt Issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jlaffoon

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-12-13

PostSubject: CVA Magbolt Issue   December 13th 2013, 9:07 pm

I have a 45 cal. Magbolt 150 muzzleloader that malfunctioned in the field.  The trigger assembly will not hold the firing mechanism back and the firing pin is exposed at all times. When one pulls the trigger nothing happens and the gun will not fireIt appears that something is broke in the trigger assembly.  Apparently the muzzleloader carries a limited lifetime warranty and I contacted CVA to discuss a fix for this rifle and was told that they do not stock any parts for this gun because it was discontinued.  The CVA tech offered to send me the CVA Elkhorn in 50 caliber and I questioned him about the availability in 45 cal. and he stated that they do not offer any inlines in 45 caliber.  I told him that I would think about it and contact him later.  After some time, I contacted CVA customer service again and talked to a different tech and he stated that CVA would never replace the gun because it was not a warranty issue because the warranty was only a defect in materials warranty and said that I needed to contact Deer Creek to purchase the required parts.  My response was that the gun malfunctioned due to a defect in materials because the trigger assembly is a sealed or rivoted unit and not easily disassembled and he repeated that I needed to contact Deer Creek and purchase the part, if available.  Has anyone ever experienced this type of malfunction with a CVA Magbolt 150?  Also, has anyone ever experienced any dealings with CVA Customer Service?  If so, was the CVA customer service experience a good one with a positive outcome or a bad one with no resolution?  Thanks,  JLL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   December 13th 2013, 10:11 pm

CVA should easily have triggers available for it. I had one a couple years ago and they sent me a new trigger free of charge due to my trigger being heavy.

If you can get the elkhorn, I surely would take it in a heartbeat.

Have you taken the bolt apart and cleaned it? Also, remove the trigger from the barrel and use some carb cleaner and spray the crud out of it, maybe even let it soak in a solvent made for breaking down black powder fouling. Butches bore shine would be a good strong solvent to use. Carb cleaner again to blast out gunk. Try that and see if it helps. You can also relube with Barricade or any good quality spray oil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   December 13th 2013, 10:17 pm

Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   December 13th 2013, 11:39 pm

With the firing pin sticking out I suspect that the bolt assembly is fouled up to the point that everything just froze , like Jon said give it a good cleaning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1304
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   December 14th 2013, 7:28 am

Quote :
If you can get the elkhorn, I surely would take it in a heartbeat.

Yep, should have taken the ElkHorn.  

Sounds like the bolt and/or trigger is crudded up.  That trigger is used wth several CVA models; the Magnum Hunter, Hunter Bolt and others.   Do as Jon suggested and clean up the bolt and trigger assembly.

Sometimes the sear and spring in the trigger assembly gets crudded up.  The sear won't allow the bolt to cock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jlaffoon

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-12-13

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   December 14th 2013, 4:55 pm

Thanks Guys for the replies.  Yes, I have cleaned that bolt and trigger assembly.  I always take the bolt assembly apart to soak in solvent and oil it up before storing for the next season.  I have cleaned the trigger assembly many times by putting it in solvent and re-oiling.  This time I soaked the trigger assembly in solvent for a couple of days to help remove the debris.  There was no debris in the solvent and there is no resistance in the trigger sear.  It appears that a spring is broke that re-engages the sear to engage the bolt catch.  According to CVA, the Magbolt 150 was discontinued and stopped being supported in 2012.  Thanks Frontier Gander for the Ebay link.  I may have to go ahead and purchase a trigger assembly since CVA will not honor their warranty.  I am just disappointed that CVA will not honor a lifetime warranty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MLN1963

Male Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   December 14th 2013, 5:55 pm

I would call again and maybe you will get the original person again. I would keep calling until you get him and he offers you the Elkhorn again. I might even ask them if you could put the Elkhorn price against a Accura or Apex.  Light Bulb

I have more muzzleloaders than centerfires! How did that happen?

T/C Omega Dream Season
CVA Optima V1 rifle with WP BH209 breech plug
CVA Optima V2 pistol with WP BH209 breech plug
CVA Electra No breech plug, it has a spark plug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1304
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   December 14th 2013, 6:12 pm

Quote :
It appears that a spring is broke that re-engages the sear to engage the bolt catch.

i know of two other cases where that spring broke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Kyper

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-01-04

PostSubject: CVA phony warranty Magbolt 150   January 4th 2014, 12:53 pm

I might have shot this gun 30 times max....then the firing pin spring broke....I sent the gun back to CVA and they won't 
make it right....they say the warranty is only if the gun is still in production....I asked for the main spring used in 
the buckhorn model since it is a bolt action, hoping it might fit, I get no reply from my email to the same person, plus
he has my gun. I'm very mad. Last email from him said he would sell me a buckhorn at 30 % off. Their
price was more than if I would buy from Cheaper than Dirt. 

I will never buy another CVA. Bunch of crooks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   January 4th 2014, 1:24 pm

thats very odd, normally they will replace that entire rifle since they no longer make parts for it.

give deer creek products a call and see if they have those parts: 765-525-6181

Then I'd call CVA and request the rifle be sent back to you.
Back to top Go down
stude 283

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   January 4th 2014, 7:38 pm

Muzzleloader707 on ebay is great to deal with.I've bought several items from him great service and will respond to your questions.Probably just as cheap to purchase his new trigger as it is to ship the gun back and wait.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Kyper

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   January 8th 2014, 2:53 pm

ok...here's the deal....I explored and saw CVA's buckhorn inline action and thought that the
main firing pin spring would fit the Magbolt 150. I asked CVA to send me a spring from a buckhorn
as the replacement spring. Well, got the gun, and their gunsmiths already installed the buckhorn
firing pin spring so I tried it out on a 209 shotgun primer...presto works great. 

The gamble and complaining paid off this time, but I won't buy a CVA...their gunsmiths knew
this would work and customer service people just wanted to sell me a gun....lifetime warranty is a joke. 

Might be a sign of a floundering company. I'm going shooting tomorrow thank god
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   January 8th 2014, 2:58 pm

Sometimes it just the CS rep thats having a piss poor day and doesn't want to bend the rules. Glad everything is back to working though!
Back to top Go down
Thomas Kyper

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   January 8th 2014, 3:06 pm

Pass the word for me.....no need for magbolt 150 owners to order main firing pin springs
when the Buckhorn firing pin spring interchanges. Smile Trigger parts might also interchange,
just thinking about all the possibilities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   January 8th 2014, 3:10 pm

they have complete triggers on ebay for something like $27
Back to top Go down
stude 283

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   January 9th 2014, 8:22 am

Jon,
       Thats what the link above was for with muzzleloader707.Good info though if buckhorn parts interchange!The trigger is the weak spot of these guns,may order one just to see if someone can work it to get a good pull.Other than the trigger these guns are amazing.I've got 2 and both group better than guns costing 10 times as much.I get better groups with them with blackhorn 209 than I do a savage mlII with smokeless.8 inlines in the safe and I usually end up carrying a $100 Walmart special.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Kyper

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   January 9th 2014, 8:36 am

Just got back from shooting the magbolt 150 50 cal. I've already been thru testing the 
Lee New Minnie and Lee Standard Minnie balls.....they shot a fair 3 inch group with a flyer
here and there.....today I shot .495 diameter roundballs with bedsheet patches, my homemade
patch lube and 45 grains of my home made gunpowder. I cut holes my second and third
shot and bullseyed the 4th shot. (I had to sight in cuz my scope was off)  Looks like mine
likes roundballs so be it....I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CVA Magbolt Issue   

Back to top Go down

CVA Magbolt Issue
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: