Share | 

wood stocks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pilsbury38

Male Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: wood stocks?   December 14th 2013, 7:24 pm

Why doesnt anyone make replacement wood stocks for the optima? I've looked all over the web and cant find anything. Must be reason. Did find one custom shop that would make anything but they were extremely pricey.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 14th 2013, 7:29 pm

exactly, the price. The CVA Apex in europe is available with a walnut stock, but all we get here is plastic. Wood stocks on muzzys sure are beautiful but we dont seem lucky enough to have a market or a large number of folks wanting to fork over the extra cash for one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1304
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 6:15 am

Quote :
Wood stocks on muzzys sure are beautiful but we dont seem lucky enough to have a market or a large number of folks wanting to fork over the extra cash for one.

Yep, most US hunters are happy with Tupperware. Wish i could find a wood stock for my New Englander.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pilsbury38

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 8:05 am

It seems like stockystocks.com would make one for them. How hard could it be there are tons of single shot shotguns in the world with wood stocks. Maybe you could get into makeing those FG! Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 9:07 am

Well, the LHR and Knight have wood stocks, and of course sidelocks have them. I'm not sure why they aren't available for more inlines?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 10:03 am

It's definitely the cost factor for a lot of muzzleloaders not having the option. If you look the companies that offer both options you easily see the cost difference. A lot of times being around a 200 dollar difference. This present a problem with cheaper price point muzzleloders. If I can get the next step up muzzleloader with a plastic stock for the same price a lower end muzzleloader cost with a wood stock I'm taking the next step up with the plastic stock myself. You would never sell enough lower and mid priced guns with wood stocks for it to be worth it on a business standpoint. People would always have it in the back of their mind that for the same price they could get the "better" one with a plastic stock. I don't mind synthetic stocks myself and in some ways they are better for me. I do love wood stocks though as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pilsbury38

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 10:20 am

I disagree, still to this day you can buy a h&r single shot for less than $200 some with very nice laminate stocks. Theres no reason the same thing cant be done for ML's. Even some aftermarket one would be nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericcosh

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 10:27 am

Are you saying you can buy a brand new H and R for less the 200 dollars with nice laminate stocks? Or are you talking used?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericcosh

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 10:47 am

Also, why do companies who offer both options charge upwards of 200 dollars for wood over a plastic stock? They need to offset the cost and make money. The H&R really isn't a good example and I have never seen new ones go for under 200 dollars myself and that includes some that have plastic stocks. They aren't really expensive though either. There really isn't much to them.

I did talk to a buddy that was asking someone that made TC Encore stocks about making a Apex stock and the guy said that they way they were designed they would just be very difficult to make. Not impossible of course but certainly not something he wanted to do. And that would pretty much answer the question of why other people don't make replacement wood stocks for the Optima and alike. I don't know exactly how its done but I do think that there are certain templates and other fine details that go into making a replacement to a factory stock and is it worth someone going through the trouble to start producing a stock that honestly they probably are not going to sell much of. One of the big factors for people that buy the Optima and similar guns is the price. While there would be a person here and there that might put a wood stock on one most are not going to buy a price point gun and go slap another 150-200 dollars for a stock on one. Go look at Stocky stocks or any place similar and unless you find something on clearance wood stocks go for upwards of 200 dollars and more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 10:49 am

Yes, it would raise the price of the gun. I love wood stocks enough to pay the difference. I'm sure other would too.

I'm confused why CVA offers wood in Europe, and not here?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pilsbury38

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 11:03 am

3yrs ago i bought h&r limited edition 20ga with laminate stock brand new for $130 last year i bought my daughter the same gun but in youth model and not limited edition just standard wood and it was $159 plus tax. I realize everything goin up in price but i think those are a perfect example like you said not much to them.........not much to an optima either. Last year from stockystocks i bought a laminate thumbhole stock for a savage 270 for $150. I do agree they look a little harder to make some areas are pretty thin but I'm sure its possible in todays world and like muley said i would gladly pay a little more for the wood stock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericcosh

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 11:04 am

You know I got to thinking about that one. First, Europe pays BIG dollars for anything hunting related so I am not surprised by that a bit. It's only offered on the Apex that we know of and something else that I could be wrong on but I do think it is a possibility and that is that the stock is not actually wood but a wood dip or coating you might say. The first reason I thought this is because of how it is worded. Here is what it says:

"Ambidextrous stock and handguard with a black finish, Realtree APG HD Camo and wooden camo, and highlyresistant soft touch materials."

The words "wood camo" thrown me off along with the "highlyresistant soft touch materials". I know the other stocks have that but wood?? That could be the wording though, I don't really know for sure.

The second reason I thought this is because it is available on the Apex Light and the Scout. Two rifles that are designed to be very lightweight. Not saying that it couldn't be light with the wood but only that this reason sort of adds to my thinking.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
brownisdown

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-05-14

PostSubject: ml wooden stocks   December 15th 2013, 11:06 am

knight offers wooden stocks but I saw the orice for a mountaineer at $340.00.can buy a new cva optima for that.but it is a beautiful stock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pilsbury38

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 11:10 am

Guess i'll live with the black plastic, could always have it dipped to look like wood! Lol just dont think that would be the same......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericcosh

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 11:11 am

I agree, I could never do a wood dip.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericcosh

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 11:13 am

I bought my Optima V2 for $230. After spending some Cabelas bucks I got it for 90 dollars.  Very Happy So I maybe would buy a wood stock for it if I could but I really doubt it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pilsbury38

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 11:34 am

Thats a good deal but it still would look better with a wood stock!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericcosh

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 11:40 am

Yeah the metal is blue so it would look pretty good I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   December 15th 2013, 12:09 pm

Over here we pay between $190 and $960 for a good stock blank depending on the grade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wood stocks?   

Back to top Go down

wood stocks?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: