Share | 

Couple of new question from a newbie

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Northwest venison stalker

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-12-14

PostSubject: Couple of new question from a newbie   December 16th 2013, 6:24 pm

Ok  awhile back when I was considering getting into muzzleloading I was looking at Knight rifles but they were not available. They had stopped production now it looks like they are back in business? If so what are your thoughts on the bighorn western edition.

Second question has to do with using pellets in front of a #11 percussion cap. I saw or read something about pre-loading with 10 grains of triple f ahead of two 50 grain pellets would that work? Or would that exceed pressure limits of the rifle?

Thanks for your thoughts.

ps: still himming and hawing about which rifle to go with between the Lyman GPH, Traditions Vorteck, Evolution, and now the Knight Bighorn if its available.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Couple of new question from a newbie   December 16th 2013, 7:08 pm

If you're going to load loose powder and then a pellet, just stick to loose powder, you'll love the advantages it gives you over pellets. Pellets are over priced and do not let you fine tune your loads, they also suck up moisture like crazy. I had 2 packages of the T7 pellets and within a year and a half, they were no good to use. Loose powder! You will not regret it.

Nothing wrong with the bighorn, it will fit the rules in your state very well. Conicals or sabots, shouldnt be a problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Couple of new question from a newbie   December 16th 2013, 7:17 pm

You need an open breech right? The Bighorn is a good choice. Green Mountain barrel. Good adjustable trigger. Good shooting gun, and made in the US.

Ditch the pellet idea.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northwest venison stalker

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Couple of new question from a newbie   December 16th 2013, 7:36 pm

Thanks. Think I have it now, "ditch the pellets' drove it home. I was thinking loose would allow tweaking the load easier.

Yeah, Washington state is very restrictive, flint, matchlock, musket cap or#11 percussion exposed to the elements.

That Made in the U.S.A. swung the vote. Looks like a Knight is in my future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Couple of new question from a newbie   

Back to top Go down

Couple of new question from a newbie
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: