Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Patched Ball Shooters

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Patched Ball Shooters   May 13th 2017, 11:23 pm

I use this.

Always been told and I've also read same that any artificial lube aka petroleum based product does not go good with blackpowder. Wife knows to not let me run out!

ATTN: Muley

If you kill a bear....I want to buy some fat from that critter as this is what the ODG swore by!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Patched Ball Shooters   May 14th 2017, 8:47 am

@patocazador wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:

Moose Milk: Have your typical Shot Glass ready!
1 shot glass of water soluble oil "Ballistol"
1 shot glass of Pinesol
2 shots hydrogen peroxide - 3% solution
20 shots of water

When weather turns very cold to the freezing point, you can add 2 shots of Alcohol to your GUT to prevent you from freezing.

Couldn't resist doing a little editing .. sorry.  lol!

Good idea, don't want to pop a freeze plug ....  affraid

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Patched Ball Shooters   April 12th 2018, 6:55 pm

I worked all my young life in my dads machine shop. We used a water soluable for a cutting fluid. He called it Goats Milk. I thought it might be the same stuff as Moose Milk but from what I read here it is not.

Water soluable oil is made to be mixed 20/1. One part oil to 20 parts water. I use about 12/1 mixture. This is all I have used for a patch lube and gun cleaner for over 20 years. I does not turn hard from BP shooting as some have stated. I can shoot shot after shot after shot with no bore wiping.

To clean I use old cotton shirt or flannel patches soaked with it. I use a 22 brush with a patch wrapped around it to clean the coned breech. The nipple and clean out screw go in an empty cap can and soak while I clean the nipple and clean out holes. I grease the nipple and plug and reinstall them.

I have never had rust in my barrels even after sitting for a couple of years with no maintinance. I have made the offer that if you are near Burleson Tx you are welcome to come by and run a rod down any of my barrels. You will find no rust. And I will give you a small bottle to make own with.

We machined mostly cast iron parts. Nothing rust like freshly cut cast iron. But this coolant when it dries leaves a slightly oily film that prevents rust. It works the same on the guns. I wipe off around the bolster or drum. All the fouling just wipes off and the salts are removed. I haven't sucked water up a barrel in years.

To lube patches I put them in one of those round plastic snuff containers about 20 at a time. Then I squirt enough to make the patches damp but not sloppy wet. Just like a spit patch. If anyone tells you it will not work its because they read it on the internet and have no first hand experience. Water soluable oil can be bought at a tool store where you buy taps, reamers and other such stuff. When I bought mine I paid $20 for a gallon marked Wynn's. Thats enough for 12 gallons the way I mix it. Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Patched Ball Shooters   April 12th 2018, 8:30 pm

For years there was a product called "PowderHawksPride" the ads read "Water, Water Soluble Oil, Goop Hand Cleaner" didn't give you the amounts of any of the items. This gentleman (poor description for him) knew him for 40 years, first met at Friendship in the early 70's peddling his "cleaner, patch lube products". He ran those little one liners in most of the sporting magazines classifieds, made a lot of money off his products along with other muzzleloading items he always seem to have. I think I still have about 3 gallons of it in the shop, use it on anything I want to clean. On his death bed he gave me his recipe (amount of each item along with a few gallons of legal sperm oil 1960 dated (now illegal). You wouldn't believe what I have been offered for the sperm oil by Jack Gardener and a few other old timers, fun to tease them with waving a can in front of them.

Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Patched Ball Shooters   April 13th 2018, 10:45 pm

I have never seen any whale oil but would like to see what it feels like. How does it compare to the artificial whale oil?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Patched Ball Shooters   April 14th 2018, 9:37 am

It feels like its finer, and smoother.

Back to top Go down
strong eagle

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Patched Ball Shooters   August 17th 2018, 9:20 am

utter balm is a good patch lube
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Patched Ball Shooters   August 17th 2018, 1:02 pm

I just use a mix of 1 shot-glass Ballistol and 7 shot-glasses of water. I soak patch material and then leave it to dry horizontally. All the water evaporates and leaves only the Ballisol (oil).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Patched Ball Shooters   August 18th 2018, 5:12 pm

@strong eagle wrote:
utter balm is a good patch lube

Worked for Purina in Denver they were the dist. for this product. I dated a nurse that used Bag Balm on her hands. Never found out if she used it elsewhere, her husband came home from the military.....   Suspect

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Patched Ball Shooters   

Back to top Go down

Patched Ball Shooters
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: