HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dcassady

Male Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 27th 2013, 4:28 am

Just purchased the Frontier (Used and Old) for my son.  I have a modern inline CVA Wolf and love it.  I have now learned the muzzleloader has come a long way on 40 years.  Different primer, should I/can I convert it to 209?  Won't fire the pellet powder.  Now I have to pull the bullet.  Do I have to use loose, like the store manager told me?  It's a beautiful gun, My son and I are in love, just want to get it working.  He shot his first deer this season and now he wants to hunt with the new rifle.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dcassady

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 27th 2013, 5:03 am

Just a clarification its a CVA Sharpshooter 50 Caliber
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JCORD

Male Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-05-08

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 27th 2013, 8:07 am

Welcome Dcassady

You have come to the right place. There is a wealth of information on any subject, just ask.

Jcord
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hood-35@att.net
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1750
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 27th 2013, 8:08 am

Welcome to the forum Dave and a big congrats to your son for his first deer!!!  That must of been exciting for your son as well as dad.

As far as your CVA caplock and pellet powder, I think you already found out your store manager was right.  My 2 cents worth.......you will never get reliable performance with pellets.  Use real black powder or Pyrodex RS or P.  Sure, you could fool around with a mix of loose and pellets but that kind of defeats the purpose.  If you really like Pellets and you want you and your son to use the same stuff you might think about getting him a CVA Wolf also.  Shooting a sidelock with black powder is a lot of fun and it's a good thing for your son to learn to use a traditional muzzleloader as well as the inline.

Good luck

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 27th 2013, 8:11 am

Welcome Dave .

Very good advise Joe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dcassady

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 27th 2013, 8:25 am

Thanks, already gathering manuals and headed back to Dawson's gun shop with a smile.  I am excited about the gun being able to shoot round balls as well as powerbelts, according to the manual.  do you agree?  Can't wait to get this baby firing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 27th 2013, 8:53 am

What is the twist rate ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14522
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 27th 2013, 11:19 am

You've got a great rifle there!

If you loaded pellets, you can actually just remove the nipple, dribble some loose black powder into there, reinstall nipple and fire it off. You do want loose powder. Pyrodex P or goex 2f-3f will flow the best in that rifles bolster.

.490 balls with either .015 - .018 - .020" patch will do great. The thicker patch will require a slicker lube than what bore butter provides so you may want to head down to the classifieds and put in an order for the Mr flintlocks patch lube.

Welcome to the forum! Great to have another patched ball shooter with us! You will be blown away at how cheap and easy the patched balls are to shoot. Check out this video as well, step by step instructions for patched round ball shooting, https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t6346-the-percussion-lock-muzzleloader
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Clyde

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 27th 2013, 6:46 pm

Welcome to the forum.  I started with inlines like you and bought a couple of sidelocks.  Ignition is  a mix of primer/cap and powder.  I use a substitute called Black MZ it ignites easily with cci magnum no.11 caps, or you can change the nipple and go to musket caps though that can create issues if your hammer is not aligned .  You can convert it to 209 primers using an adapter sold by Warren Custom Outdoors but if you do I'd advise against using magnum primers I use either Winchester 777 or cci ml 209.  If you go that route by a couple of extra tops so if you do what I did,( drop it out of my stand ), all you have to do is put another on .  It will solve any ignition issues.  Try all kinds of projectiles you never know what a muzzleloader that will like, and its half the fun of a muzzleloader seeing what they like. Good Luck !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dcassady

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 27th 2013, 7:53 pm

Thans guys, all great advise and help.  I don't know the twist.  How do I detrmine what the twist is?  I will as at the shop. I can't wait to start shooting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 27th 2013, 10:05 pm

Put your ramrod with cleaning jag attached and a tight fitting patch down the barrel .

Mark the rod and pull it out till the mark has made 1/2 a revolution.

Measure the distance travelled and multiply by two and you have the twist rate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rawhidekid

Male Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-12-21

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 28th 2013, 5:17 pm

When you drop in the powder, strike the stock on the opposite side of the nipple.  This knocks the powder into the flash area for positive ignition. Cool (i.e...If you have a right hand rifle hit the left side panel).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dcassady

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   December 31st 2013, 2:48 am

Was able to fire thround off and thans for the advise, I'll keep you posted
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dcassady

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   January 1st 2014, 5:38 am

I discovered a couple things that may be usefull.   The barrel is a 1:48 twist and there is a screw (flathead) located on the outside of the hosing for the nipple.  Romoving it allows you to easily add the powder in the chamber just below the nipple.  Convenient design.  All works well.  The sound of this gun firing is amazing.  Range here we come!  Thank you all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   January 1st 2014, 7:00 am

Make sure you put a little grease on those threads as well as the nipple threads, I use Birchwood Casey Choketube lube with good effect but any anti-seize compound should work.  If you don't the screws will seize and it may become hard to remove them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dcassady

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   January 2nd 2014, 3:23 am

I learned that with the inline, Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   January 2nd 2014, 5:47 am

Once you start playing with PRB you might likely never go back to shooting bullets in condoms  Wink  Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dcassady

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   January 2nd 2014, 7:08 pm

Ordered and installed the 209 converter nipple sold by Warren Custom Outdoors. Easy and perfect fit.  I did have alignment issues with the Musket primer nipple.  Like having all three.  Two questions, How can I align the musket nipple so it does not hang and can I order just the firing cap for the 209 nipple?  I can also see myself dropping that with cold fingers.

You guys are making this easy, thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   January 2nd 2014, 7:57 pm

Yes you can order the tops separately all of the currently made models use the same top.  I can't help with the alignment issue.  One more thing with the magspark I put the clean-out screw in first and then the magspark and remove in reverse order to clean, otherwise the magspark locks the cleanout screw and you mar the screw.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise   

Back to top Go down

New to the Frontier Muzzleloader, need advise
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: