Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Leupold Fire Dot

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Muskie52

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-12-26

Leupold Fire Dot Empty
PostSubject: Leupold Fire Dot   Leupold Fire Dot EmptyDecember 31st 2013, 1:26 pm

I see Leupold only offers one scope the VX-R Fire Dot for muzzle loading. My question is if I want something in a different power will their rifle scopes hold up to the shock of a muzzle loader. Or should I stick to the muzzle loader designed scope. Thanks Ron
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Leupold Fire Dot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leupold Fire Dot   Leupold Fire Dot EmptyDecember 31st 2013, 2:01 pm

I just use a rifle scope on mine that are scoped. After 20+ years I had a 4x Leupold Compact scope get a little blurry so they replaced it free .. with a better scope.

Leupold's warranty is better than any the US government has ever given. You don't even have to be the original owner.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-12

Leupold Fire Dot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leupold Fire Dot   Leupold Fire Dot EmptyDecember 31st 2013, 3:34 pm

Any of their scopes will hold up to anything. If it breaks they will take care of you.
Back to top Go down
GregK

GregK

Male Number of posts : 3049
Registration date : 2012-01-22

Leupold Fire Dot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leupold Fire Dot   Leupold Fire Dot EmptyDecember 31st 2013, 6:45 pm

Carlos, Ray, & I all use Firedots & they are fine scopes. They will easily handle muzzleloaders. It's the scope on my 50cal APEX in my avatar. Mine takes a pounding t the range on a regular basis. If you are looking to buy one contact Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop 910-692-7936. He will most likely have the best price.

Ray & I both have the 30mm 4-12x40 & I think Carlos uses the 30mm 3-9x50

Leupold Fire Dot Apex-s10McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
ericcosh

Leupold Fire Dot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leupold Fire Dot   Leupold Fire Dot EmptyDecember 31st 2013, 8:15 pm

The VX-R is a nice scope. Only complaint I could come up with when I had one was that as you increase the intensity of the fire dot it begins to flare on the inside of the tube. Other than that the scope was great and very well built.
Back to top Go down
GregK

GregK

Male Number of posts : 3049
Registration date : 2012-01-22

Leupold Fire Dot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leupold Fire Dot   Leupold Fire Dot EmptyDecember 31st 2013, 10:18 pm

@ericcosh wrote:
The VX-R is a nice scope. Only complaint I could come up with when I had one was that as you increase the intensity of the fire dot it begins to flare on the inside of the tube. Other than that the scope was great and very well built.
That has happened in any illuminated scope I've ever seen. If you want it on full brightness during the day, it's no problem at all & in low light cases I only turn it to the dimmest setting which again, causes no problem.....at least for me. Ray & Carlos both shoot a lot as well & I haven't heard a single complaint from them.

Leupold Fire Dot Apex-s10McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
ericcosh

Leupold Fire Dot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leupold Fire Dot   Leupold Fire Dot EmptyDecember 31st 2013, 10:39 pm

It's really not a big deal but still something I personally don't like. It also is sort of a moot point for me because I never really liked using the dot at the higher settings and in fact I found that I wasn't a huge fan of the dot. I guess just different personal preferences but I preferred the VX-3. Leupold makes top notch stuff that holds up great and has some variety of models for different people.
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

Number of posts : 3690
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Leupold Fire Dot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leupold Fire Dot   Leupold Fire Dot EmptyJanuary 1st 2014, 1:59 am

Very Happy 

GregK said it all and I agree with him 100%. My scope took a beating all summer long from shooting and traveling 120 miles to the range and then 150 one way to where I hunt. I never had a problem or had to sight the scope back in once it was zeroed. It's a tough scope and that red dot is awesome when you see it on a deer.

HAPPY NEW YEAR  Exclamation  Exclamation  Exclamation 

Ray............... Wink

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10400
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Leupold Fire Dot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leupold Fire Dot   Leupold Fire Dot EmptyJanuary 1st 2014, 9:30 am

Are you traveling by mule Ray?  Very Happy 

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

Number of posts : 3690
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Leupold Fire Dot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leupold Fire Dot   Leupold Fire Dot EmptyJanuary 1st 2014, 10:05 am

Very Happy 

Pete,
I retired the mules for the winter and now I'm using the dog sled with all this snow we're having the new few days. Just hard to see those fallen trees with all this snow  Cool 

Ray.............. Wink

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down

Leupold Fire Dot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: