Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Deer loads in my SxS Pietta Shotgun

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Deer loads in my SxS Pietta Shotgun Empty
PostSubject: Deer loads in my SxS Pietta Shotgun   Deer loads in my SxS Pietta Shotgun EmptyJanuary 3rd 2014, 1:52 pm

I loaded up identical loads in the barrels of my .735" bore 12 ga, except for using a wad in one and no wad in the other. A ~3/16" thick lubed wad does best.

I fired four patched .690 balls in each barrel with different thickness of patches. .023" patches were best. 

Then I shot .715 patched balls with .010 patches and got both barrels hitting within a 7" diameter at 25 yards. The thin patches had small holes when recovered and the balls seemed on the loose side when seating. I know that .020 patches are too thick so I am going to try .015 patches next.

The big deal (for me) was shooting 00 buckshot at 20 yards. I loaded 8 pellets in a cut-off plastic shot capsule and put 13 of 16 shot in a 10" x 11" target, one shot per barrel. When I tried it at 25 yards, the groups opened up considerably with only 7 shot pellets hitting the target out of 16.

Next I need to try the .715 balls at 35 and 50 yards to see if I can hunt with "buck & ball" with a reasonable chance of killing a deer.

Here's the target but it has so many holes in it that it doesn't make much sense to a viewer.

Deer loads in my SxS Pietta Shotgun SxSDeerLoadsWEB_zps6cdc7487

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Deer loads in my SxS Pietta Shotgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer loads in my SxS Pietta Shotgun   Deer loads in my SxS Pietta Shotgun EmptyJanuary 3rd 2014, 10:51 pm

Them big balls will really put a hurtin on whatever you hit with it , at the moment I'm using my '29 flintlock .75 Tower Musket as a shotgun but my patterns aren't that good yet.
Back to top Go down

Deer loads in my SxS Pietta Shotgun
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: