Share | 

Questions On New Set Up

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
niteghost

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-01-03

PostSubject: Questions On New Set Up   January 3rd 2014, 9:12 pm

Howdy men! Iíve been hunting whitetail for several years now with archery equipment.† Years ago my dad muzzleloader hunted and that was something I never really got into, until now.† Last week I got my dads old TC Renegade .50cal out of the safe, where it has been setting for probably the past 15 years.† It was in pretty bad shape to say the least, so I tore it down, scrubbed on it for 2 days and got it back into pretty good shape.† I found all my dadís old powder, bullets primers, powder measurer, ect. everything I need to shoot it.† I thought to myself, what the heck and loaded it up and she fired off like a champ!† All that saidÖ I think I caught a bug †Very Happy†.

Anyways, Iím going to set my self up a smoke pole and mix a little black powder in with my archery.† Iíve been all over the web researching and learking around here for a wile trying to figure out what would be the best set up for me and I still have a few questions. I figured I would post my potential set up here and ask some questions.† Any help and advise you guys could give will be greatly appreciated!

I will be hunting whitetail and most shots will be taken between 0-150yds with a possible 150-200yrd shot occasionally.

Here is the set up:

Smoke Pole - CVA Accura MR in .50cal.† Itís my understanding that .45cal is more accurate at longer distances without giving up much kinetic energy.† Should I consider going .45cal?

Bullet Ė Powerbelt 295gr Aero Tip brass.† Brass is cleaner right, so why not?† Do expansion characteristics differ form brass to lead?

Powder Ė 100gr of White Hots.† I understand that I could fine tune my load for accuracy with loose powder and may go to Blackhorn 209 and test down the road, but going to start out with White Hots.† What are your thoughts on that?

Primer Ė Win Triple 7.† Would use these with pellets and/or loose powder.† GTG?

Optics Ė Nikon Inline XR 3-9x40

Should I be concerned with any head space issues?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14522
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 3rd 2014, 9:39 pm

No way! The 50cal IMO id the best caliber made for todays modern muzzleloading, You can shoot 40cal pistol bullets, 45cal .451 - .452 - .458" bullets in sabots, then you have a wide variety of full bore projectiles like Thor bullets. You'll shoot just as good as the 45 at 200 yards.

The aerotip is a copper coating and it is pretty clean and easy to clean up. The ballistics on them is not very good but for a conical, its not bad either.

Yes the copper coated powerbelts can be pushed a LITTLE bit faster than the all lead powerbelts, Aprox by 10 grains + than the lead.

Your best option if you can use sabots is either barnes or the harvester scorpion pt gold in 300 grain. Use the harvester crush rib sabot with the PT Gold and 110 grains Blackhorn209. You WILL have a solid shooter with that load in an MR.

Headspace is something thats very easy to take care of. You can shoot it and take a look at the mess and if you find its to much of a mess, take care of it with a phone call and a few bucks.

Welcome to the forum as well! Im glad to see that you have a good idea of whats going on and are asking questions, its the best and safest way to get your feet set to success.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 3rd 2014, 11:26 pm

Welcome to the forum .

You won't find a cure for that bug though as we all are infected with it and apparently it is contagious !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 2:55 am

Why bother with all that expense? Just use the Renegade. You already have everything. If you wind up not liking it, you aren't out a nickel.
Besides, the old-type muzzleloaders have more 'charm'.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 4:54 am

Yes I agree with Pato.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 5:16 am

Just so you know. The MR only comes in .50 cal.

As was said. There's better choices than Powerbelts and WH pellets.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 7:06 am

I love the 45 but the 50 is great too, you won't go wrong in either case. You can shoot sabotless 45 cal bullets that you would shoot in a saboted load in a 50 cal so there's that option.

I would use a better bullet & if you're gonna go with the MR, Barnes T-EZ 250, PT Gold 260 grain are VERY solid choices. Bloodline bullets are exceptional! If you want to keep the cost down, look into Speer. Very tough bullets that hold together & expand well. Three of my favorites are the 44/270 flat point, 45/260 uni core, & the 454/300 hollow point.

Instead of trying the white hots & powerbelts, I'd order the Western Powders BH209 plug kit, get the BH209 & start there. You're likely to get there at some point, so why not start there? Many shooters have had the same mind set that you have now & then made the switch & wish the had done it sooner.

For all of your needs & any question you may have about them, call Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop 910-692-7936 He will have everything that you need (cheaper than anyone else) including information, & if you desire he will set the gun up for you before he ships it.

In ant case, welcome to the forum & keep us posted- Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
niteghost

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 9:27 am

Thanks guys for the comments!

I'm going to take ya'lls advise in the PBs and pellets and jump right into saboted bullets and loose powder.† Sounds like there are lots of good options out there and I guess I'm just going to have to wait until I get my gun and do some testing.† But, I think I'm going to start out with the crush rib red sabots, a 300gr polymer tip bullet and 110gr of BH209.† I think that's a good place to start and go from there.

What about the Winchester Triple 7 primers, are they ok to use with loose power?†

Can you guys through out some ideas for flask, powder measures and speed loaders?† My dad has all this stuff and it seemed like some pretty good gear, but I was just wondering what you guys are using?

Thanks again fellows!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sqezer

Male Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 9:31 am

All ML, shoot different, with BH-209 I'd start with 90 grs, and go up from there, I shoot 45's, and it seems 100-110 grs, has always been the sweet spot. WELCOME ABOARD.

.45 Knight Disc Extreme MHSDE SS composit stock
.50 Knight Mountaineer Laminated stock
.50 Knight Disc Elite
.50 Knight Disc Extreme X 3
.50 Knight Long Range Hunter
.52 Knight Disc Extreme Winter Camo stock
.45 CVA Apex & 7mm-08
.50 CVA APEX
.45 CVA MagHunter X 5
.50 CVA Buckhorn Mag X 4
.50 CVA Wolf Shorty
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sqezer@yahoo.com
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 12:05 pm

Heres a list on what you need: Also the red crush rib sabots are for smokeless savage bores, they will be super super tight in any CVA. You want the black crush rib.
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t6453-need-supplies-list
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 12:30 pm

Yes, I just bought another MR. The black crush ribbed sabots with a .451 bullet is a perfect fit.

You'll need a hotter primer for BH 209 than the T7 primers. The CCI 209M primers work well.

A 300gr bullet with 110gr of BH is a stout load, and would work on elk. You won't need that much for deer.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."

Last edited by Muley on January 4th 2014, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
niteghost

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 3:04 pm

Muley wrote:
Yes, I just bought another MR. The black crush rip sabots with a .451 bullet is a perfect fit.

You'll need a hotter primer for BH 209 than the T7 primers. The CCI 209M primers work well.

A 300gr bullet with 110gr of BH is a stout load, and would work on elk. You won't need that much for deer.
Shocked†I don't know we got some pretty big deer around here.... Just kidding!

Ok so is 80-90gr enough energy to knock down whitetail? †How dose power charge effect bullet trajectory?†

Thanks for the link gander, will check that out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 3:17 pm

it will affect is some, mainly in the 175+ yard range you will notice is dropping a good deal better.

Shoot for accuracy and comfort first. Then you can get into heavier loads for longer distance.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 4:20 pm

A 250gr bullet with 100gr of BH is comfortable to shoot, and will kill any deer.

Hard to beat the Barnes bullets, but the 260gr PT Gold is good too, and much cheaper.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 4:28 pm

Its a great bullet in fact. The 260-300's are one of my most favorite sabots made so far.
Back to top Go down
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 6:02 pm

I didn't think 110 grains of BH209 and a 300 grain bullet was bad on recoil. That is what I am currently shooting and it works well on deer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 6:22 pm

It will kill an elk, so it's more than needed for deer. Of course it's going to work for deer. I'm sure you get a pass through?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   January 4th 2014, 7:19 pm

I think. The deer is hanging out in the garage and I haven't really even inspected it. Should get to it in a couple of days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions On New Set Up   

Back to top Go down

Questions On New Set Up
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: