Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

I Came Down with This Disease Recently.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

I Came Down with This Disease Recently. Empty
PostSubject: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyJanuary 4th 2014, 9:16 pm

I got my first SxS blackpowder shotgun a couple of weeks ago and really like it. I like it so much that I couldn't resist buying this CVA 12 ga. SxS today. I measured the bores at the muzzle and the right one is .726 while the left one is .729. My other shotgun measures .735. 

I Came Down with This Disease Recently. CVASxS12ga_zps94bf22a4

Do you think that there is some choke in the barrels or is it just a Spanish way of making a 12 gauge?
How would I measure the actual diameter of the barrels a few inches down the muzzle? My calipers are way too big.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyJanuary 4th 2014, 9:19 pm

You'd have to pour a lead slug down it and measure off that.

What a beauty! I dont know where the heck you are getting these. I'd love a single shot cva trapper shotgun.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyJanuary 4th 2014, 9:28 pm

They aren't real cheap. I had to give $300 for this one. I got it on the THR Classifieds. The guy lives 45 miles from me. We met half way.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyJanuary 4th 2014, 9:31 pm

Not bad at all IMO. Plus you were able to check it out in person, doesn't happen very often!
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyJanuary 5th 2014, 12:18 am

There is really no fool proof way of measuring down a tapered bore that I know of.
Back to top Go down
rawhidekid

rawhidekid

Male Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-12-21

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyFebruary 2nd 2014, 10:05 am

Really nice looking shotgun, let us know how she shoots. Cool
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

Number of posts : 3690
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyFebruary 2nd 2014, 10:59 am

cheers  cheers  cheers 

Nice looking shotgun you have there Pat. Good luck with it  t up 

Ray.......... Shooter

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
WillametteT

WillametteT

Male Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2014-02-01

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyFebruary 2nd 2014, 12:58 pm

I'm not much of a shotgun person but, that one sure is fine shape. Congrats on a great find! t up
Back to top Go down
MLN1963

Male Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyFebruary 2nd 2014, 1:09 pm

Maybe that is a Mod and Full choke barrel. I lot of the old shotties seem to have full chokes. I'm not sure if that also applies to BP shotties.

I have more muzzleloaders than centerfires! How did that happen?

T/C Omega Dream Season
CVA Optima V1 rifle with WP BH209 breech plug
CVA Optima V2 pistol with WP BH209 breech plug
CVA Electra No breech plug, it has a spark plug
Back to top Go down
ac10

Male Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyFebruary 2nd 2014, 3:24 pm

That is a great disease to come down with,lol. Very nice looking gun.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyFebruary 2nd 2014, 3:50 pm

I looked up the prices of these things in a 1984 Gun Digest and they sold for more than $300 back then.  The dollar was worth about 1/3 more then ... OUCH!

Back to top Go down
inline50

inline50

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyFebruary 3rd 2014, 7:32 am

Beautiful SxS  Exclamation   Can't be many of those floatin' around.

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyFebruary 3rd 2014, 10:21 am

You can tell that it's a CVA though. Back in the late 70s I bought a couple of CVA kit guns. They were made up of shoddy parts that took lots of work to fit. This shotgun has ill-fitting loose screws holding the ramrod holders (the correct name escapes me right now*), the left lock mainspring is very weak, and the ramrod has grain run-out and is warped. It is basically a new gun that has been fired little. The locks were spotless underneath and no trace of rust in either barrel.
My Navy Arms Pietta is of higher quality and has none of the imperfections that the CVA does.

* I just thought of it -ramrod "pipes".  I always want to call them ferrules but ferrules adhere to the object.

Last edited by patocazador on February 3rd 2014, 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: I Came Down with This Disease Recently.   I Came Down with This Disease Recently. EmptyFebruary 3rd 2014, 10:39 am

Pedersoli also makes a very nice BP shotgun but very expensive.
Back to top Go down

I Came Down with This Disease Recently.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: