Registration date : 2013-12-23

PostSubject: good information on this    January 4th 2014, 10:20 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rsrocket1

Male Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-10-28

PostSubject: Re: good information on this    January 5th 2014, 7:39 pm

Thank you for the link.  I have been thinking that a good primer fit with no blowby is more important in igniting BH209 than the small "reservoir" of powder.  I've been shooting an '04 Optima Pro and have been getting reliable BH209 ignition every time once I got a good primer fit.  This is with the old hex breech plug and the small hemispherical breech face, no powder compartment.  I've had range sessions of 25-32 shots without cleaning the bore and without touching the breechplug and the last shot was as good as the first.  I can still see daylight when looking down the flash hole when I break open the gun.  

When I get home to clean the gun, I use a 7/64" drill bit attached to a drill and slowly spin the breech plug into the drill bit.  The bit is in the drill simply to hold the bit firmly, the drill is not plugged in.  When I pull the plug out, the grooves of the drill bit are filled with soot.  That means a tightly sealed primer is able to cut a flame through all that stuff and into the powder.  I have a 0.030" #4 washer in the primer pocket that takes up all the slack between the primer and the firing pin block.  The primer edge makes contact with the block, but not the primer face (dome).  I verified this with a magic marker test on several primers, CCI 209M's, Winchester 209's and Federal 209A's.

I've gone through a 10 oz can of BH209 and a 1 pound can of BlackMZ in the past 2 months and have had only one misfire with BH209 on the first day of shooting before I used the washer.  Since then, ignition has been perfect.  The BlackMZ may not have the same ignition difficulties as BH209, but with a firmly seated sabot and a well headspaced primer, it shouldn't matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14522
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: good information on this    January 5th 2014, 9:57 pm

Exactly right. If you have major blow by, you still have losing heat the BH209 needs to reliably go off. Its one point I have stressed to CVA and showed them how easy it is to fix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
sqezer

Male Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: good information on this    January 6th 2014, 8:43 am

One thing I use for cleaning that ROCK HARD CABON from the plugs on my Knights is Sea Foam in the White can with Green lettering, it works great. I use to use the o-ring but sabotloader from another forum put me onto the stainless washers that press fit into the primer pocket for a crush fit on the primer, I did a test with putting the .45 in the freezer then went out and shot it several times without any misfires at all. I can't even remember the last time had a misfire after installing the SS shims.

.45 Knight Disc Extreme MHSDE SS composit stock
.50 Knight Mountaineer Laminated stock
.50 Knight Disc Elite
.50 Knight Disc Extreme X 3
.50 Knight Long Range Hunter
.52 Knight Disc Extreme Winter Camo stock
.45 CVA Apex & 7mm-08
.50 CVA APEX
.45 CVA MagHunter X 5
.50 CVA Buckhorn Mag X 4
.50 CVA Wolf Shorty
Back to top Go down