HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rogervan

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-01-04

PostSubject: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   January 7th 2014, 9:48 am

As far as I can tell, boiling water plus scrubbing with patches, followed by a specific kind of oil (grease) not just any kind, is a good method.

Oh BTW, my loads will be powered by an old intact container of American Pioneer Powder, FFG. The under-the cap metal glued-on seal has never been broken.

Do you guys do it that way?
What kind of oil (grease) do you use to protect the bore between shooting days?
As a round ball only shooter, do I need to use the products that chemically strip the inside of the    bore, removing copper, lead, and plastic?

Mucha thankee,
.625 Plains Rifle

Roger
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   January 7th 2014, 10:01 am

Yes, I use hot water and soap. I take off the barrel, put the breech end in the bucket of water, and pump the water in and out with the ramrod and patch. Then I repeat with plain hot water. I add a little Ballistol to the hot water to keep any flash rusting from happening.

When i'm done flushing, I dry the barrel with dry clean patches, and then oil with Ballistol.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5318
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   January 7th 2014, 10:43 am

Same as what I do , but I use the ballistol 50/50 or 70/30 to water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   January 7th 2014, 10:47 am

You use 50/50 to clean?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   January 7th 2014, 10:55 am

Yep , 50/50 in my cleaning water which I heat and 70/30 in lukewarm water to rinse. After cleaning I strain the water and store it for re-use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14636
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   January 7th 2014, 11:14 am

warm soapy water " baby bath temp prevents flash rust" dry it and then run alcohol down the bore and swab. The alcohol pours out the nipple area of the bolster and flushes out ANY moisture that was trapped in there during the water cleaning. Follow up with Barricade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   January 7th 2014, 11:53 am

@Spitfire wrote:
Yep , 50/50 in my cleaning water which I heat and 70/30 in lukewarm water to rinse. After cleaning I strain the water and store it for re-use.

No need for that. The soap and hot water is all that's needed to clean BP. I just use a few drops of Ballistol in the water to keep the hot water from flash rusting. I dump the water when i'm done. It's dirty.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14636
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   January 7th 2014, 12:07 pm

I always double wash with clean water. Just doesnt feel right using dirty water and then putting it up lol. Kinda like a family of 6 taking a bath and using the same water  Suspect 
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   January 7th 2014, 12:20 pm

Yes, I do the same, and throw it out when i'm done. It's black.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   January 31st 2014, 7:40 pm

Tap water and no soap.  Dry patch then WD40 (water displacer).  If going to be over a week or so till next use I apply LPS3 or other good rust preventative.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   February 1st 2014, 3:17 am

I'll try it your way next time Pete .....might save some Ballistol in the process  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   February 1st 2014, 6:26 am

Before leaving the range my muzzleloader bore is swabbed using a patch wet with Windex with vinegar (now Multi-Purpose Windex).  At home the bore gets swabbed with more Windex with vinegar followed by clean patches.   If the gun will be stored the bore gets oiled using a patch moist with MiliTec or something like 3 in 1 oil.  If the gun is used frequently it gets a patch moist with Hoppe's #9. 

Somewhere in my Confederate Great Granddad's Civil War diary he mentions a big kettle full of hot lye soap for cleaning the rifles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   February 1st 2014, 8:30 am

Before Ballistol I also used 3 in 1 oil on my guns.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5374
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   February 1st 2014, 9:08 am

I use 409 cleaner in the bore followed by hot water and swabbed until the patches come out clean. Squirt water displacement oil (Birchwood-Casey) on patch and swab the bore. Then I coat the metal outsides with RIG.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpsman

Male Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   February 17th 2016, 11:18 pm

Holland & Holland advised their customers NOT to use boiling or hot water to clean their black powder big bore rifles because it opened up the pores of the metal and promoted rusting! They recommended just tepid tap water!!

Putting any kind of petroleum based products into the bore of a BP rifle will cause undue hard, baked on fouling! What does work real well is something out of your wife's kitchen cabinet aka Virgin Olive oil or some other cooking type oil!

FWIW!! Laughing cheers

Last edited by Sharpsman on February 18th 2016, 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   February 18th 2016, 5:37 am

Would like to have a better no water method myself, but have not found it.    I shoot 777, so this might not work for black, but here is what I do:

1.  Remove barrel, remove nipple, remove clean out plug. Set barrel bolster down in hot water.
2.  Use swab on ramrod for about 10 strokes.  Use brass brush about 10 strokes.
3.  Repeat with clean water.
4.  Remove barrel, use dry swab to dry bore.
5.  Set barrel on bench and let blow dryer blow down the bore for 15 minutes.
6.  Use yet another swab, soaked in alcohol, to dry bore again.  Swab has enough alcohol that alcohol comes out of the nipple hole.
7. Blow dry down bore briefly to get alcohol out.
8. Use yet another swab soaked in my fav oil (which tends to change all the time) to oil to bore.
9. Use q-tip with oil to get the nipple and clean out thread oiled.
10. Apply RIG on the nipple and plug threads.  Reassemble.

I keep all the swabs separated in baggies. The water and alcohol swabs gets air dried each time.

My current oil is Breakfree CLP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:   

Back to top Go down

I've found a lot of diffferent ways to clean the bore after use, BUT:
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: