Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Black Powder.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Black Powder.   January 15th 2014, 7:42 am

I came back from hunting the Panhandle yesterday and stopped at every gun or pawn shop I could find for over 200 miles. I finally found a pawn shop that handled it but they were out of 2F and 3F. They had 1F and 4F. However, it turns out the owner is really in to primitive black powder weapons. He had about 20 of them   ... mostly junk taken as pawn items. He had a can of opened 3F that was 80% filled and sold it to me for $15. He gets $22/can usually but has to order more and it will probably increase with the new prices.

So, he shows me his home-made cannon made with heavy duty pipe and a welded breech with a touch hole for a fuse. He made the carriage with wheels too. He says, "Let's shoot the cannon! Call the bank across the street and tell them to get ready for a 'BOOM'."
He loaded up 350 grs. of 1F powder and stuffed a wad of bread down the muzzle, inserted a fuse and 'commanded' everyone to assemble outside. He pointed it at an empty lot next door, lit the fuse and WHAM!!! The report was pretty loud but the carriage with the cannon move backward 8 1/2 feet through the grass.

I spent 90 minutes looking through all their wares and talking BP stuff. He's going to call me when the BP comes in.
By the way, the owner's name is Yancey.  Cooool. "Yancey Derringer" was one of my favorite westerns when I was a kid.  Very Happy

TIME WELL SPENT !

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Black Powder.   January 15th 2014, 8:03 am

BP should only sell for $15 lb.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Black Powder.   January 15th 2014, 8:30 am

New price over here is $95/lb.  Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Black Powder.   January 15th 2014, 9:01 am

Powder Inc. wants $24.40 in 5 lb. lots. The only other place I've found within 50 miles of here wants $24.95.
I'm going to get 2 more pounds of 2F and a pound of 3F when this place gets it in. The shotguns eat a lot.  Wink

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Black Powder.   January 15th 2014, 9:16 am

Graf and Sons gets $14.99. Anybody close to them can walk in, and buy it for that. That's all BP is worth.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Black Powder.   January 15th 2014, 10:11 am

I'll walk there if you will. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Break >>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>Sleep>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Break>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>Sleep>>>>>>>>>Ambulance>>Hospital>>>R.I.P.  Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Black Powder.   January 15th 2014, 10:29 am

depends on the quality IMO, g&f uses shuetzen powder if i remember correctly and I know that powder isnt as accurate for me as goex. Goex here runs $20 a lb.

Sounds like you had a good time! Funny, call the bank and let them know first LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Black Powder.   January 15th 2014, 11:24 am

Ok, Graf sells Goex for $15.99.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Black Powder.   January 15th 2014, 11:28 am

unless you order in bulk, its not worth ordering 1 to 2 lbs at a time LOL, I get mine locally 17miles away and normally only buy a lb at a time.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Black Powder.   January 15th 2014, 11:41 am

As I already mentioned. Those who can walk into Graf will pay $15.99 for Goex. That's all it should be selling for.

The stores you guys are buying from buy it wholesale just like Graf. They just jack up the price more.

btw If you can afford a case of powder. There's no shipping or Hazmat fees. No sales tax, or gas either. It's the best way to buy BP. Get your buddies together, and buy a case.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Black Powder.   January 15th 2014, 11:51 am

actually mines just a very small a couple cans on the shelf store LOL, I highly doubt they are buying in massive amounts. I have no buddies around me that shoot bp. I'd rather make it myself because THAT is the cheap way.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Black Powder.   January 15th 2014, 12:09 pm

Yeah it looks like i'll be using a lot more home-brewed in future as well !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Powder.   

Back to top Go down

Black Powder.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Powder Room-
Jump to: