Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Screwdriver recommendation needed

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Screwdriver recommendation needed Empty
PostSubject: Screwdriver recommendation needed   Screwdriver recommendation needed Empty2014-01-20, 19:08

I have VERY narrow screw slots on my Pietta SxS from Navy Arms. I have a "gunsmith" screwdriver set from Brownell's from years ago but none of the screwdrivers will fit the narrow slots except for the smallest one which only has a 1/4" wide head (maybe less). The screw heads are a lot wider but none of my tools will fit. I tried dressing down an existing driver but the edge is too weak to stay intact when trying to remove the screws.

What is a good quality, strong, narrow screwdriver (or set) that will serve my needs?  Dunno

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Screwdriver recommendation needed   Screwdriver recommendation needed Empty2014-01-20, 19:13

not sure if its good quality but you can find those tiny little screw driver kits on ebay or habor freight for cheap. I got a packet from a local store for $5 and they are cheap but get the job done.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Screwdriver recommendation needed   Screwdriver recommendation needed Empty2014-01-20, 19:18

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12pc-Small-Precision-Screwdriver-Kit-Phillips-Cross-Flat-Slot-Slotted-Head-Set-/271123969037?pt=US_Srewdrivers_Nut_Drivers&hash=item3f203f740d
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Screwdriver recommendation needed   Screwdriver recommendation needed Empty2014-01-20, 19:41

I've got a couple of those but the heads are narrow like the one I used.

I'd like to find a good hollow-ground, tempered screwdriver for the purpose. (I already know how to bugger up screws.)  Mad

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2075
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Screwdriver recommendation needed   Screwdriver recommendation needed Empty2014-01-20, 19:58

My wife bought me a set of gun care screw drivers from Brownells for Christmas.  They are Grace USA.  I have the 8 pack but they sell individual ones also.  Maybe one of these would fit your needs.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/fixed-blade-sets/screwdriver-set-prod6739.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=GRACE USA

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
Grape

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Screwdriver recommendation needed   Screwdriver recommendation needed Empty2014-01-21, 19:23

You cannot beat Grace for outstanding customer service. He sent me a Marlin screwdriver set before I even paid him for them.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Screwdriver recommendation needed   Screwdriver recommendation needed Empty2014-01-21, 20:07

The set I have is made by Forster and none of the 8 screwdrivers have a thin-enough blade except for the narrowest one and it is too weak to do the job.
It looks as if I may have to order a 44 piece set to get what I need.

Back to top Go down
Tamarack

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-03-05

PostSubject: Screwdriver   Screwdriver recommendation needed Empty2014-03-07, 18:10

A short piece of of hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off makes an excellent narrow slot screwdriver.  1 inch of it (horizontally) allows enough purchase to turn hammer screws nicely.
You can slot a piece or rod and solder a piece of blade the short way and grind the width to what you need, it isn't for tough work but works great for small screws in tight places

Tamarack
Back to top Go down
White Oak

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Screwdriver recommendation needed   Screwdriver recommendation needed Empty2014-03-07, 19:01

This is one of the items I look for at garage sales advertising tools. You can often  find a bucket full for a couple of bucks. It doesn't hurt so bad to "customize" them .
Back to top Go down

Screwdriver recommendation needed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: