Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Fired The New Englander Today

Go down 
AuthorMessage
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2012-05-28

Fired The New Englander Today Empty
PostSubject: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 26th 2014, 5:19 pm

using patched round ball.

Background:

This gun had a plastic stock.  I have this disdain for Tupperware in all it's guises.  Finally found a wood stock.  Put wood stock on gun.  Loaded the gun with its normal very accurate patched round ball load.  First five shot group at 78 yards measured six inches-Whoa!!!  Fired at clay  targets at 78 yards and never hit one.

Messed up by putting that wood stock on the gun.  Will try one more time to fix it.  If gun does not shoot any better the Tupperware stock will be painted some camouflage scheme and put back on the gun.  i detest gun drama more than Tupperware drama. 

BTW:  After one shot at clay targets i saw dust fly from the back side of the berm.  Went and looked.  That .50 caliber lead ball went all the way through about 36" of red clay.   
Fired The New Englander Today DSC01690
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 26th 2014, 5:58 pm

Treat it like a center-fire and bed the base of the barrel up to the wedge and free float the rest. I can't see why that wouldn't work.
Anything's worth a try if the alternative is a plastic stock.  :barf

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 27th 2014, 10:07 am

I also think you should bed the tang and barrel.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 27th 2014, 11:21 am

Thanks Patocazador and Spitfire.  

Will shoot it one more time before resorting to bedding the barrel/tang.   Before shooting yesterday i was pulling fence posts and tore a muscle in my lower left arm.  Arm hurt so bad i could hardly load the gun.  It still hurts like mad.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 27th 2014, 1:23 pm

Sorry to hear about your arm. My sciatica has been acting up for 2 days. I can blame it for missing a hog today. (The real cause is I just missed.  Embarassed )

That wood stock looks real nice on that gun.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Grape

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 29th 2014, 7:17 am

Stick with it..it looks nice with what it was born to wear. Good ol wood.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16319
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 29th 2014, 10:06 am

ouch I hear you on arm pain, I sorta fell out of a tree the other day and my arms got bent up at such an extreme angle i swear my elbows touched my ears lol. God awful pain!

I agree, bed the tang and trigger plate " If the tang screw goes into the trigger plate" and possible bed a small section of the forward stock channel to remove any side wiggle.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 30th 2014, 6:38 am

Quote :
 sorta fell out of a tree the other day and my arms got bent up at such an extreme angle i swear my elbows touched my ears lol. God awful pain!

Yep, hyperextending bones, nerves and muscles sure does smart.  There was something wrong in the elbow joint too:  It popped and my arm now straightens out more.   

That plastic stock had a long bolt running from the triggerguard to the tang.  The wood stock does not have a hole drilled for that bolt and i won't drill one:  Looks like that would greatly weaken the stock.  The barrel fits very tightly in the wood stock. 

Will try to get the gun to the range next week.
Back to top Go down
OSR

Male Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 30th 2014, 3:03 pm

Saw a couple of New Englanders (synthetic stock) at the LGS, One was pretty rusted up inside the barrel, the other one was decent.  The store owner was asking $200, is this a decent price?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16319
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 30th 2014, 3:09 pm

if its rusted up inside the barrel, its about $175 to much IMO.
Back to top Go down
org57

org57

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2011-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 30th 2014, 4:19 pm

Jon I always knew you were a MONKEY
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 30th 2014, 7:58 pm

Quote :
The store owner was asking $200, is this a decent price

For $200 you should be able to buy a near new New Englander.  These are for sale on Gunbroker.
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

Number of posts : 3690
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 30th 2014, 9:15 pm

t up 

falcon,
Sure hope your arm is ok buddy. Pain is something no one wants especially if your a shooter.  nono 
Take care,

Ray........... cowyboy hatoff

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 31st 2014, 8:06 am

Thanks, Hawgslayer.
Back to top Go down
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyJanuary 31st 2014, 7:37 pm

I have one of them plastic stock New Englander and I just left it that way, it just plain shoots good, thats why.
Back to top Go down
WillametteT

WillametteT

Male Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2014-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyFebruary 1st 2014, 9:35 pm

I prefer the look of the wood stock but, if the plastic works, so be it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyFebruary 2nd 2014, 6:37 am

Very Happy 
I've got one with the synthetic stock.  I bought it from a guy on another forum. Rifle was never shot. Had a little rust and pitting in the barrel close to the muzzle of which I've removed. Other then that it's in mint condition. Some day I'll get around to shooting it or maybe selling it down the road.
I thought of Jon and his post on a short barrel ml'er for tree stand hunting. This little rifle I think has a 24 or 26" barrel.  Shooter 

Ray............. t up

Semper Fi...... '66-'69

Last edited by hawgslayer on February 2nd 2014, 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyFebruary 2nd 2014, 7:20 am

Yep, the New Englander is a good gun.  All the New Englanders had really good blue jobs; much better than TC puts on anything today.   There is a 12 gauge shotgun barrel for the New Englander. 

Every one of those unmodified New Englander guns i ever saw shot high.   Mine now wears Williams Fire Sights, soft soldered on. 

Would like to have a trashed barrel bored and rifled to .58 caliber.   

There is a .54 New Englander barrel on Ebay right now.
Back to top Go down
OSR

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyFebruary 14th 2014, 10:53 pm

@hawgslayer wrote:
Very Happy 
I've got one with the synthetic stock.  I bought it from a guy on another forum. Rifle was never shot. Had a little rust and pitting in the barrel close to the muzzle of which I've removed. Other then that it's in mint condition. Some day I'll get around to shooting it or maybe selling it down the road.
I thought of Jon and his post on a short barrel ml'er for tree stand hunting. This little rifle I think has a 24 or 26" barrel.  Shooter 

Ray............. t up
What's the best way to get rid of rust inside the barrel?  Don't have a problem, with this, but it's always good to know how.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyFebruary 15th 2014, 5:55 am

Quote :
What's the best way to get rid of rust inside the barrel?

Depends on how rusty the bore is.  Everything from steel wool, rust removing chemical stuff to abrasive lapping.  Hint:  If the bore is badly rusted, it ain't worth the trouble. 

Personally, i've have not had a gun or it's bore rust in over 40 years.   Last one was a .30-06 that i fired some foreign made corrosive ammo in.  Caught it in time and the bore was not damaged. 

About 13 years ago i bought a new CVA gun from Cabelas.  The bore of that gun was trashed.  It  was not cleaned after the proofing in Spain.  Sent it back for a refund.   

Used to clean up muzzleloading guns for folks-no more!!!!  Folks willfully neglect their guns and then expect them to be cleaned up like new.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyFebruary 15th 2014, 7:31 am

Only reason they expect it to be like new is because they're not cleaning it up them selves and they will have a mouthful if you charge them to undo the mess they created by their laziness !
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyFebruary 15th 2014, 7:46 am

Very Happy 

OSR,

Buy some EVAPOR-RUST. Works great  Exclamation  Exclamation  Exclamation I used this stuff and had good results. Check out a thread I posted on this stuff and it explains my results.
I think its titled........... RUST REMOVER WITHOUT THE ELBOW GREASE.......or something like that.

Ray.......... t up

Look in the " MUZZLELOADING " section almost to the bottom................

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyFebruary 17th 2014, 6:15 am

I really like mine. It developed a little rust before this past season. I just kept brushing it with gun oil and Ballistol, i tdid fine. I don't know how the rust started, because this guns get more cleaning then any other gun I have. Only thing I can figure is I missed that area, it was about 1/4 of an inch from the muzzle.
Back to top Go down
OSR

PostSubject: Re: Fired The New Englander Today   Fired The New Englander Today EmptyFebruary 17th 2014, 4:02 pm

@hawgslayer wrote:
Very Happy 

OSR,

Buy some EVAPOR-RUST. Works great  Exclamation  Exclamation  Exclamation I used this stuff and had good results. Check out a thread I posted on this stuff and it explains my results.
I think its titled........... RUST REMOVER WITHOUT THE ELBOW GREASE.......or something like that.

Ray.......... t up

Look in the " MUZZLELOADING " section almost to the bottom................
hawgslayer - Thanks for the tip.  It was an interesting read.
Back to top Go down

Fired The New Englander Today
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: