HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OSR

Male Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles   February 6th 2014, 9:45 pm

I've previously only owned a couple of traditional sidelock BP rifles, two TC's (Hawken, & Grey Hawk) and one CVA (Kentucky Rifle).  And I recently just bought a TC New Englander.  Most of my BP rifles are in-lines from H&R, TC, Knight, Traditions, and even one from Rossi.

I seen the different ways in line barrels are mounted to their receivers, but I only have seen the way TC (hooked breech) & CVA (screw on tang) attaches the barrel to the receiver/stock.  How about the other companies like Cabelas/Lyman/Investarms, Pedersoli, Traditions, Browning(or whoever makes the rifle for them), Hopkins & Allen, etc., mount their barrels to the frame/stock?  Are they easily interchangeable?  Can you use a CVA stock for a Traditions barrel?  You see why I'm interested.

For me, the TC system of the hooked breech, makes it easy to disassemble the barrel for cleaning.
Which in your opinion is the best way?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14532
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles   February 6th 2014, 9:58 pm

cva half stocks use hooked breech, typically the long rifles like the kentucky, pa, and some customs use the screw on tang ( one piece).

cabelas/lyman/invest ( all the same) use hooked tangs, traditions used both, browning at the time for their hawken used hooked tang.

Not sure if they swap out between cva/traditions. Its a real tricky game when it coming to swabbing out barrels from one brand to the new. Even the barrels i install onto the cva hawken stock, i have to cut anew dovetail and relocate it.

I much prefer the hooked tang as its easier, but my kentucky is okay too, just more break down time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles   February 7th 2014, 4:55 am

As long as it shoot straight I don't really care how they attach the barrel , like Jon says some is just more work to strip.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OSR

PostSubject: Re: Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles   February 7th 2014, 8:45 am

Somebody is selling a Cabelas stock, with the lock & triggers still attached.  He has it posted on the bulletin board, at the local range.  I'm trying to find out if it's worth it ($100) to buy and see about getting a barrel to make it a working gun again.  I would think it needs an Investarms barrel.  Would that be correct?  Any guess on how much the barrel would cost?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles   February 7th 2014, 9:31 am

Do you know what calibre barrel was in the stock ? As that will dictate what barrel you'll have to buy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WillametteT

Male Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2014-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles   February 7th 2014, 4:08 pm

If it is a Cabela's Hawken, then yes, it most likely needs an Investarms barrel. Like stated above, ask the seller what caliber barrel was on the stock and that will dictate the barrel you will need.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OSR

PostSubject: Re: Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles   February 20th 2014, 11:06 pm

Just found out that it was a Investarms, not a Cabelas.  If I understand correctly, Investarms makes the Hawken for Cableas, (along with the GPR for Lyman).  The original barrel is a 50 cal.  I also found out the reason why he was looking to sell.  The original barrels' nipple is damaged, and he can't get the old one out to replace it, not to mention, that it has rust in the barrel.

I'm not worried about the rust in the barrel, but does, anyone know a way to get the stuck nipple out, so a replacement can be installed?  I've been thinking about buying the entire gun, bad barrel and all.  He is asking for $180.  I was thinking about squirting some Kroil into the nipple threads, and let it soak for a couple of days, then try to get the nipple out.  Do you think it will work?  Is it worth it?  What would the nipple (thread) size be?  Can I get a replacement fairly easily?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5256
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles   February 21st 2014, 7:40 am

For a gun in that shape, he's asking too much IMO.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles   February 21st 2014, 8:11 am

Too much money.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles   February 21st 2014, 10:53 am

Get the gun for cheaper and pour some Ballistol down the tube and let it sit for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles   

Back to top Go down

Different ways that BP barrels are attached on Traditional rifles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: