Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15630
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   February 8th 2014, 8:06 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   February 11th 2014, 10:39 am

Up!
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3699
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   February 11th 2014, 12:30 pm

cheers 

Good  video as usual Jon. I will try this after I use up the patches I already have. Good point about not knowing how long those pre-lubed patches have been sitting on the shelf.

Ray.............. t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   February 11th 2014, 4:33 pm

Jon, you use about 2-3x more mink oil than I do. Do you think that much is necessary?

After comparing shooting results, which lube do you think is the best if storing for awhile in a tin or poly bag?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   February 11th 2014, 4:44 pm

Its hard to judge by the amount i am using, i use a a nice thin layer and work it into the patch. During hunting season, my gun can be loaded as long as 9 to 12 days without firing and i need to be sure that lube does not dry out.

Check out the other post about the 3 week load with mink oil.

For long term storage, I'd use a plastic bag so you can squeeze out all the air from around it.

Last edited by FrontierGander on September 25th 2014, 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   February 11th 2014, 4:51 pm

What I'm really asking is which lube would you use if you could only have one? ... based on shooting results.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   February 11th 2014, 5:01 pm

I really don't have an answer for that.

#1 I need a solid hunting lube and Mink Oil offers that. It lacks any cleaning purpose in between shots and that forces me to swab every 4 or 5 shots.

Mr flintlock lube on the other hand, due to it containing alcohol and no water, it dries up over time within a few hours, depending how much you used on the patch. I love it for target shooting, which I do 99% of the time and so the fairest answer would be, Mink oil for hunting, Mr flintlocks patch lube for target shooting.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   February 11th 2014, 5:05 pm

Thank you. I'm a hunter not a shooter.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
WillametteT

Male Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2014-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   February 12th 2014, 11:49 am

Great information and video! Thanks for sharing and this will be good for the new shooters as well as the seasoned ones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   April 21st 2014, 9:38 am

scratch 

When using mink oil and you put a little too much and work it in the patch until the patch is thoroughly coated can there be a problem with the powder not going off  Question  Question  Question
Now I'm not saying dripping wet but wet enough to feel it on your fingers when you pick the patch up.
Does this wet patch work better then say the preluded ox yoke patches when getting more shots off before having to clean the barrel Question 
So,..........can a soaked mink oil patch prevent the 2F from going off and
is it better for getting off more there 2 shots before having to clean the barrel Question  Question 

Thanks gents,
Ray........... t up

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   April 21st 2014, 9:55 am

no, rarely does the patch lube ever affect the powder, unless its running drippy wet kind, then you may contaminate the powder a bit.

The hand lubed mink oil patches are a hell of a lot better than any pre lubed patches simply due to the oiliness and the fact it does not contain parafin wax like bore butter/wonder lube. Remember, the wonder lube - bore butter stuff is pretty much a minty chap stick lube.

I think its always best to clean the bore once you feel it getting snug. More lube helps in cutting through it but it completely throws everything out of balance simply due the fact you are adding more to the patch than what you used on the previous patch"es".
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   April 21st 2014, 10:02 am

Thanks Jon for your reply. I just wasn't sure about it effecting the powder. I think after watching your video and reading the replies on those preluded patches I'm going to try the mink oil lubed patches again. I may have to re adjust but I'm sure it will be well worth it come the cold hunting season.
Thanks again,
Ray.........

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   April 21st 2014, 10:03 am

You couldn't put enough mink oil on a patch to keep it from going off.

Ray...You can do an experiment. Lube a patch as wet as you can. They touch it down on a pile of powder. The powder will stick to it, but won't dissolve unless you rub it in good, but that's just the powder that touches the lube. The rest of the powder load is dry. Especially, all the powder in the breech channel which ignites the load.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   April 21st 2014, 10:08 am

Thanks Pete.
 I'm going to try them again since they don't get stiff or freeze in the winter. I'll start working on them soon just so I can get a feel for the right amount on the patch.

Ray...........

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rfd

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   August 9th 2016, 7:02 am

i prefer using patch strips that are cut at the muzzle.  in this way, all patches are perfectly centered over the ball and muzzle.  the same is done for a loading block board - sink a ball into a patch strip just past the board's top and cut off.

there are lots of viable patch lubes, from spit to grease.  i do a lot of bpcr loading and make my own bullet lube from a recipe that's been around for a very long time, "gato feo" (ugly cat).  it's a home brew lube mixed by weight - 1 part mutton tallow (dixie gun works), 1 part paraffin wax (gulf), 1/2 part pure beeswax.  double boiler melted and poured into empty milk cartons or muffin tins.  this lube is soft, but not too soft.  this bullet grease lube also works quite well for a ball patch lube.

i cut 1-1/2" or 2" wide by 18" long patch strips from natural tight yarn cotton cloth in thicknesses .010", .012" and .015".  a chunk of gato feo lube is rubbed onto both sides of the patch strip.  i use a heat gun or hair dryer to force the lube into the cloth's weave. roll up the strips and into the shootin' bag.  works in all temperatures and if yer ball diameter and patch thickness are both correct, no swabbing between shots will ever be required, and no short starter needed either.

NMLRA - NRA - NRA/RSO -  Buffalo Rifles - Trad Gang
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)   

Back to top Go down

Lubing your Patches (Round Ball Shooters)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Frontier's Review Room-
Jump to: