Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

furthest kill with your encore and load?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
buckslayer

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-12-07

PostSubject: furthest kill with your encore and load?   February 9th 2014, 6:44 pm

100 grain loose777, barnes 245 grain[i think]expander, original encore 240 yards pa doe!
at the time i was using a rangfinder..

i never even shot a rifle that far !! was a open field in butler pa,last day last hour
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony

Male Number of posts : 571
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: furthest kill with your encore and load?   February 10th 2014, 6:35 am

I took a doe two years back at 175 yards. She came out into a cornfield at the last 15 minutes of shooting light. My buddy texted me to sneak to the edge of the field as he watched her come out. Made it to the edge, gave about 8" of hold over and gave her the death punch. She ran about 50 yards and rolled up like a rabbit being shot. 100 grains of BH pushing a Barnes 250 TMZ. By far the longest shot I've made.

HarvesterSmooth Sabot
100 gr. BH209-Win 209 Primer

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JTClark

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-12-23

PostSubject: Re: furthest kill with your encore and load?   February 20th 2014, 2:55 pm

im a new shooter, but been talk to some people at work is goal to beat a 390 yards dropped moose, but I'm go after for whitetails with my LDR as long i learn quick on shoot, combo, accuracy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: furthest kill with your encore and load?   February 20th 2014, 3:02 pm

Can't see a reason to shoot a moose that far. You can walk right up to them, and shoot them at 20 yds. They have no fear of man, and don't run off like elk and deer.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoHiCntry

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: furthest kill with your encore and load?   February 20th 2014, 3:15 pm

Muley wrote:
Can't see a reason to shoot a moose that far. You can walk right up to them, and shoot them at 20 yds. They have no fear of man, and don't run off like elk and deer.

That's only true "some" of the time! Very Happy Although not as skittish as deer and elk I've seen them get out of dodge pretty quick. Once they realize there being stalked they flee like any other animal. That being said, I shot my one and only Colorado bull moose at 40yds. Closer to me is always better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: furthest kill with your encore and load?   February 20th 2014, 3:20 pm

I suppose if you spook them. I've always been able to get pretty close. Too close actually. I had a cow last summer that wanted to kick my ass. She just kept on coming at me until I started to throw rocks at her.

Damn grumpy old girl.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5252
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: furthest kill with your encore and load?   February 20th 2014, 3:25 pm

I had a Wyoming moose permit. We were able to approach cow moose and bounce blunt arrows off them at 30 yards to practice but I never could get closer than 90 yds. to a bull. I found one grazing on the side of a dirt road in the NF but there were about 15 people around taking pictures. I passed because I didn't want to listen to all the grief I would have gotten.

I waited until rifle season and killed one at 60 yards.

My wife killed hers at 6 yards after she dismounted from her horse.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: furthest kill with your encore and load?   

Back to top Go down

furthest kill with your encore and load?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: