Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Testing my Pistol & Lubes.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Testing my Pistol & Lubes. Empty
PostSubject: Testing my Pistol & Lubes.   Testing my Pistol & Lubes. Empty2014-02-11, 14:17

First up was my CVA Mountain Pistol .50cal at 20 yards. I did filed down the front sight to get its POI right under the bulls eye at 6 O' clock and it looks like I got it perfect. For the first shot that is. After that the POI seems to start drifting down a bit but grouping fairly well.

50 grains Sheutzen 2f
.490" round ball
.015" patch
TOW Mink Oil patch lube

First shot on a clean bore is just under the bullseye and almost center, the next 3 were on a dirty bore.
Testing my Pistol & Lubes. IMG_2161_zpsd28b4abb

Wanting to see if it made a difference I switched to Mr Flintlocks patch lube and bore cleaner. Loading the ball was a little stiffer due to the previous 4 shots, but once seated, I shot and it grouped down there as well. I took one more shot " Recovered the patch as well!" and smiled brightly as the patch n ball combo slid right down like it was on a clean barrel. My smile really lit up once I checked the target.
Testing my Pistol & Lubes. IMG_2162_zpsc68a82d0

3 patches with Mink oil, and the very top single patch was the last shot I fired and recovered that patch. Its good to see how CLEAN that patch is after 5 shots.
Testing my Pistol & Lubes. IMG_2172_zpsf23d5a24

Pretty much sums it up for me from this point on. Mr.Flintlocks lube for target shooting is a must for my pistol in order to keep her shooting clean.
Back to top Go down
WillametteT

WillametteT

Male Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2014-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Testing my Pistol & Lubes.   Testing my Pistol & Lubes. Empty2014-02-11, 20:02

Nice shooting results! Been thinking of getting me a pistol but, haven't decided on what I want yet.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3801
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Testing my Pistol & Lubes.   Testing my Pistol & Lubes. Empty2014-02-12, 05:47

Nice shooting FG.  I wish BP pistols were legal to hunt deer with here in Massachusetts.  It certainly would be a fun challenge. 

scratch  FG, maybe you should start a BP pistol section somewhere  Question  Question
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Testing my Pistol & Lubes.   Testing my Pistol & Lubes. Empty2014-02-12, 07:56

That ball must be going very close to 850 fps with 50gr 2F.
Back to top Go down

Testing my Pistol & Lubes.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: