Share | 

44 cal Pietta

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
billyboy21

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-09-13

PostSubject: 44 cal Pietta   February 21st 2014, 5:27 pm

Here's a picture of my 44 cal 5 1/2" Pietta withthe 45.cal200gr conicalsI cast.They are baked @ 350 degrees
for 15 minutes, and coated with Alox.They really shoot good, and have VERY little clean up. I've also powder coated
some of these, and also some 50 cal as well.They do pretty darn good!.

Last edited by billyboy21 on February 21st 2014, 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5256
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: 44 cal Pietta   February 21st 2014, 5:44 pm

ALOX is meant for centerfire bullets with smokeless powder. It's reported to be unable to provide enough lubrication for black powder velocities. Lee specifies in its directions with casting moulds that ALOX shouldn't be used with black powder loads.

"
Re: ALOX and black powder ?
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 02:18:22 pm

When I first started out in CAS I loaded up ammo (38/357) with BP and alox/beeswax, the standard smokeless powder lube. It was a disaster. I got PATTERNS after about 5-10 rounds. Once I went to SPG+a grease cookie (thin beeswax disc) I could shoot all day. This was in a 20" carbine. Big Lube bullets will be all you need with a halfway decent lube such as a simple mix of Beeswax and olive oil. I use 50/50 BW & deer tallow (shot a fat doe, just couldn't waste the tallow). It makes a nice firm BP lube."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
billyboy21

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-09-13

PostSubject: Re: 44 cal Pietta   February 21st 2014, 11:23 pm

I wanted to post a picture of it, but can't get the picture to upload.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 44 cal Pietta   

Back to top Go down

44 cal Pietta
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading :: Black Powder Hand Guns-
Jump to: