Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

58Huntsman

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ceader savage

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2009-06-06

58Huntsman Empty
PostSubject: 58Huntsman   58Huntsman Empty2014-02-24, 20:23

Receive one of these today . After getting some facks about this gun . U see it has a oring breack plug .I for the life of me don't see how with a miss fire or when u put a cap on it going to blow out. But thier a way u have to grind the frame where it hinges or file it a lot thats the only way it can come out. Boy there is a lot of bull chit in these bad guns where some writer knows everthing woo.
By the way my book says only 55gr of 2ffg black powder to .But I know a guy that has same gun using 80 gr with roung ball an Maxi
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

58Huntsman Empty
PostSubject: Re: 58Huntsman   58Huntsman Empty2014-02-24, 20:27

I've read about that to. Something if your gun misfires and the shooter breaks the action open and it turned out to just be a LONG hang fire, the plug would blow out when the gun went off.

No clue on the max loads for this one, I think it was before i was born  lol! 
Back to top Go down
ceader savage

58Huntsman Empty
PostSubject: Re: 58Huntsman   58Huntsman Empty2014-02-25, 09:58

Can't see how this is posible the way the frame is made not opening all the way Blocking the brech plug by a 1/4 inch to 3/8 . I had to take the hole barrel system apart to get at it . This gun had manual ,gun for a 1972 model was 99% or better Ball cap from that time not a bad trade with cash to me
Back to top Go down
OSR

Male Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2014-01-23

58Huntsman Empty
PostSubject: Re: 58Huntsman   58Huntsman Empty2014-02-25, 21:34

ceader savage - Great buy, from what I read, it was lawsuits from people that were "hurt" from the breech plug blowing out, that caused the old H&R company to go into bankruptcy.  Sounds to me, that some people just wanted to make some money.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1563
Registration date : 2012-05-28

58Huntsman Empty
PostSubject: Re: 58Huntsman   58Huntsman Empty2014-02-26, 10:42

Quote :
Sounds to me, that some people just wanted to make some money.

i remember this gun from the early 1970s.  At least a couple shooters were killed because the breechplug blew out when the action was opened.  i remember an x-ray showing the breechplug in a guys head.  Blowback into the action would sometimes freeze the firing pin.  Then the gun would fire as the breech was closed or opened. 

Later versions of the gun had a cross pin that prevented fully opening the gun:  That is the gun that the OP has.   The much later version, made after Marlin bought H&R, has a screw in breechplug.
Back to top Go down
ceader savage

58Huntsman Empty
PostSubject: Re: 58Huntsman   58Huntsman Empty2014-02-26, 11:27

Well that what I was thinking ,Or maybe a little work they did an called it gunsmithing like said Don't look possable from the gun I got
Back to top Go down

58Huntsman
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: