Share | 

Tingle caplock rifle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bootleger

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Tingle caplock rifle   February 25th 2014, 11:22 am

Anyone owen a tingle sidelock rifle?  How's it shoot?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14483
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Tingle caplock rifle   February 25th 2014, 11:46 am

wow, they were made all the way back in the 50s to the early - mid 70's. I think they had Douglas barrels as well and somewhere around 1:60 twist depending what model it is. If the price is right and the bore is good, get it asap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
bootleger

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Tingle caplock rifle   February 25th 2014, 2:43 pm

I have one, got it in back in dec.2013. Just have'nt shot it yet.  Its the target model half stock .45 cal. I wanted to see if anyone else has one, and how it shot for them. Its  in great shape shinny bore,nice walnut stock. pewter nose cap. A little pitting around nipple area. Im waiting for the weather to break and get out to shoot it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D. Buck Stopshere

Male Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Tingle caplock rifle   February 27th 2014, 2:20 pm

Bob Tingle was from Indiana, Shelbyville, I believe. Have to look at my old Muzzle Blasts from back in the '60's.

Believe he made a rifle and a pistol. The single-shot pistol looked almost like a revolver with same grip and an octagon barrel and adjustable sights(?). But in place of the cylinder, the sides of the frame were flat, filling up the space where the cylinder would have been.  It had a "center-fired" (not "side-slapper design) hammer.  Navy Arms offered a copy made by Armi San Marcos.

His "side slapper" rifle wasn't real popular, but a flash cup around the nipple protected the shooter from residue. I think the rifle was referred to as having a "mule-ear" lock.  It was and is now, a unique design copied from the 19th century.A flash cup is highly recommended around the nipple.

The under-hammer rifles from Numrich were a little more popular, and most bench-rest muzzleloading rifles today sport an under-hammer action.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Tingle caplock rifle   March 17th 2014, 12:17 pm

Tingle made a LOT of different types of guns.
Although he is best known for his halfstock rifle and inline pistol, he also manufactured to a lesser degree, mule ear shotguns, both single barrel and over and under doubles, a bench gun or two, and even a revolver.
Some of his inovations, like coil spring locks were ahead of their time.
When I started this game back in 1968, Tingle rifles were common at local matches. You seldom see them for sale, but I think that's because the folks that have 'em hold on to them.
The one I have, I have owned twice. The first time around I had it for almost six years and never shot it. The second time around it took almost a year to finally get around to shooting it. (I'm mostly a flint shooter) It isn't zeroed in like I want, but it seems to shoot good. Real good. I'm hoping to inaugurate it in the woodswalk at Friendship this spring.
For what it's worth, ball size is normally .433 for the halfstock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tingle caplock rifle   

Back to top Go down

Tingle caplock rifle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: