Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5252
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: A New Ruger Old Army   March 8th 2014, 6:16 pm

I scored a never fired, high polished complete frame of a Ruger Old Army yesterday. It doesn't have grips or a cylinder but I have an extra cylinder and 3 sets of grips for one.
The guy wanted to sell it to a collector but I told him I was a shooter and would fire it. We BS'd for awhile on the phone and he said OK. I sent him a money order yesterday and he called this morning and said that he shipped the gun.
I asked him why he didn't wait for the money order and he said, "I trust you."  

I was flabbergasted. In this day and age there is still trust in the world .. amazing!  Shocked 

So Tuesday I should be the proud owner of ROA #2.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 9th 2014, 12:04 am

I hear there is talk that Ruger is considering to make a new run of Old Army's....sure hope so .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 9th 2014, 10:19 am

I've been hearing that for 15 years.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 9th 2014, 10:24 am

So it's just another rumour then  Mad  Pity as I would have liked to buy a new one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 9th 2014, 12:03 pm

Like any muzzleloader it's not classified as a gun/weapon here and can be sold the same as a hammer.

If it's similar there, you should be able to pick one up. There are quite a few in France from the posts on some of the boards.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 9th 2014, 12:11 pm

Yeah they're also declassified here but as scarce as hens teeth on these shores  Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 10:24 am

Got it today. The thing is so polished, it looks like it's chrome plated. Ruger factory did it. 
I put a cylinder and grips on it and realized that I'm going to have to scratch up the gun a lot or polish the cylinder. I bet you know which way I'll go.  Twisted Evil 

With my well-used Ruger Old Army.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 10:34 am

Are C&B revolvers really muzzleloaders? They don't load at the muzzle.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 11:12 am

We have the same argument here , they claim the C&B's are not muzzleloaders as you don't put the balls down the muzzle one at a time.

She looks real snazzy Pato , If you tire of her send her my way !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 11:44 am

I had a big argument with 3 game wardens who all "knew the law." 2 of them said it wasn't legal to hunt with in muzzleloading season and one said they were. All 3 were standing together in a group so they started arguing among themselves. The one with the highest rank "won" the argument. However, he was was wrong. I got a written ruling from the State Of Florida stating that a cap and ball gun did not use cartridges and had to be loaded with black powder or legal substitutes and a separate projectile and was legal.

I asked another game warden and he said it was illegal so I showed the ruling to him.

The lesson I learned is 3 out of 4 game wardens don't know crap about the laws they enforce.  Tease

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 12:14 pm

It's definitely a grey area. What makes it worse is they can be easily converted to a cartridge gun.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14527
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 12:26 pm

A blackpowder rifle can easily be converted to shoot smokeless or even cartridge, makes no difference. The BP revolver is a black powder firearm loaded one shot at a time with loose powder and ball. It loads through the front with a loading lever.

Pato, thats funny! I love it when you get A holes like that that THINK they know the law and then get their ass handed to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 1:21 pm

You need to look up the definition of a muzzleloader Jon. The cylinder is not the muzzle. It also loads 6 shots.

How is a sidelock pistol easily converted to shoot cartridges?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 1:45 pm

replace the barrel, just like replacing a cylinder on a revolver.  Beyond the point anyway, the states will have their rules on whats a muzzleloader and what else is involved. A black powder cap & ball pistol is far from todays modern revolver. Black powder rifles and revolvers shared the same time in history which makes them part of the muzzleloading family.

They had 4 barrel pistols back in the old days, the revolver started in the early 1830s, its all part of the black powder family.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 1:46 pm

patocazador wrote:
Got it today. The thing is so polished, it looks like it's chrome plated. Ruger factory did it. 
I put a cylinder and grips on it and realized that I'm going to have to scratch up the gun a lot or polish the cylinder. I bet you know which way I'll go.  Twisted Evil 

With my well-used Ruger Old Army.

\

Hell of a revolver too Pato! I'd agree with polishing the cylinder, I doubt it would cost much, just tell the smith, polish her till it hurts my eyes!  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 1:55 pm

FrontierGander wrote:
replace the barrel, just like replacing a cylinder on a revolver. 

How would replacing the barrel make it a cartridge gun Jon? How would you load it?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 2:01 pm

Well if i intended to shoot cartridge I'd make sure the gunsmith knew what i wanted and go from there, otherwise i'd be putting them into a hole and smacking them off with a hammer of course.

Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 2:04 pm

I'll let your answer speak for itself.  clown 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 2:10 pm

my answer was a smart ass one because you know ANYTHING can be done these days for a rifle/pistol.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 2:14 pm

Yes, but just replacing the barrel wouldn't turn a sidelock into a cartridge gun. I've never seen it done before. Have you? You'd have to build the whole gun over.

Getting back to my point. A C&B revolver is easily converted to a cartridge gun by changing the cylinder. A true sidelock muzzleloader is very difficult.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 2:19 pm

not really, a trap door, use your same lock, it can be done easily, just have the right gunsmith and wallet.

I've seen some of those aftermarket cylinders and I wouldnt exactly call them easy.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 2:26 pm

Easy for the owner of the gun. Just buy the cylinder, and slip it in. You can go back and forth from cartridge and C&B easily.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 7:12 pm

Muley, I have a conversion cylinder for the ROA. It shoots .45 Colt cartridges but is rated only for black powder through Trail Boss loads.

Trail Boss gives crappy results for me. BH209 gives better results and so does 7 gr. of Unique. However, you have to remove the cylinder, take off the backing plate, manually eject the empty cases, reload (only 5 because there is no safety notch), re-insert the cylinder  and fire. It's a colossal PIA and I get better results with black powder percussion cap loads.
Plus it is dangerous handling the loaded cylinder since all the firing pins are exposed.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 7:22 pm

I considered it a couple of times for the 1860 Colts I had, but never did it. I liked staying in the percussion cap era.

Some of the conversions are more friendly. They have a brass extractor on the gun, and you leave the cylinder in the gun to load. It usually required to modify the frame though. I could never do that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   March 11th 2014, 8:17 pm

The Kirst is the one with a loading gate but they can't do it for a ROA for some reason.
I played with mine for about 3 weeks but it wouldn't shoot to the same POA as the percussion cap loads. I've had it on the shelf for the last 2 years.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A New Ruger Old Army   

Back to top Go down

A New Ruger Old Army
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: