Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

solve this problem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Archie otto

Archie otto

Male Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2013-11-24

solve this problem Empty
PostSubject: solve this problem   solve this problem EmptyApril 18th 2014, 10:57 pm

So this is a problem I ran into with a pre-carved stock.  Notice in the picture the top of the buttplate is inletted way too deep.  If I cut the stock to match the top line it will cut too deep into the comb and mess up the lines.  Either that or there will be a noticeable dip in the comb.  I looked at every steel plate that Track has and found nothing that would completely solve this problem.  I could put a brass plate on but I think that would look weird with the rest of the furniture being steel.

]solve this problem Tdbp6a_zpsf950162e

So the solution my strange brain came up with is to add a piece of steel to the top of the plate.  I cut it from a chunk of one inch pipe and tack welded to the plate. 
solve this problem Tdbp1_zpsb6a107fd
solve this problem Tdbp2_zps56c523b0
solve this problem Tdbp3_zpsd06a2612
I will finish welding it and then be able to grind it to both smooth and polish it and hopefully get the lines in a better position. 
And if it doesn't turn out they are only about $20
solve this problem Tdbp5a_zps0170678d

FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

solve this problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: solve this problem   solve this problem EmptyApril 19th 2014, 12:02 am

man i would have been passed out from throwing a fit after finding that  Laughing 

A good fix, I look forward to seeing the results and how she looks after.

Whats the idea on the build as far as barrel,lock, etc?
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

solve this problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: solve this problem   solve this problem EmptyApril 19th 2014, 1:51 am

That is the only solution that will still look good I can think of as well Archie.
Back to top Go down
Archie otto

Archie otto

solve this problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: solve this problem   solve this problem EmptyApril 19th 2014, 10:15 am

FG, this is the same trapdoor BPCR restock project I've been working on and posted pics in the modern section of this forum.  It has come along since then but I haven't taken and new pics to post except these.  I will get to that shortly.

By the time I noticed the problem the stock had already been cut so no returns allowed.  In regards to the workmanship of the stock maker..... I will not post anything negative for spite.  This stock was made for a different gun and I made the decision to go forward with the project.  I did email him and express my concerns but that is between him and me.

patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

solve this problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: solve this problem   solve this problem EmptyApril 19th 2014, 12:24 pm

I would have just changed the angle of the stock and ground the rear part of the butt plate to match up .. if the metal was thick enough and rounded the rear 'corner' if it were too acute and sharp.
It may not line up exactly flat that way but the eye can be tricked into thinking it is.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

solve this problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: solve this problem   solve this problem EmptyApril 19th 2014, 1:12 pm

I tried tricking my eyes into not seeing flaws on stuff I made but no matter what every time I look at it the eye is drawn to the f3#k-up's made  No
Back to top Go down
Archie otto

Archie otto

solve this problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: solve this problem   solve this problem EmptyApril 19th 2014, 2:30 pm

We can usually see our mistakes before others with a less critical eye.  I am not only my harshest critic but many times my worst enemy.

Archie otto

Archie otto

solve this problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: solve this problem   solve this problem EmptyApril 19th 2014, 10:25 pm

I also posted this in the modern section but this build incorporates many of the same parts as a traditional ML.
solve this problem Td14a_zps5f0af233
solve this problem Td14c_zps32904e5e
solve this problem Td14d_zps55510a30
solve this problem Td14b_zpsfc2f59bb
solve this problem Td14e_zps1ed61ca8

Archie otto

Archie otto

solve this problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: solve this problem   solve this problem EmptyApril 19th 2014, 11:17 pm

I also posted this in the modern section but this build incorporates many of the same parts as a traditional ML.
solve this problem Td14a_zps5f0af233
solve this problem Td14c_zps32904e5e
solve this problem Td14d_zps55510a30
solve this problem Td14b_zpsfc2f59bb
solve this problem Td14e_zps1ed61ca8

Spitfire

solve this problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: solve this problem   solve this problem EmptyApril 20th 2014, 1:44 am

Looking real good so far Archie.
Back to top Go down

solve this problem
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: